Sunday, August 28, 2011

Friendship Bread---Starter for a Real Book Club in My Town

I can hardly believe it. We have a real live book club in my town.


We started out with a bang.
We met for the first time in July,
and chose our first book for discussion,
 Friendship Bread by Darian Gee.

At our August meeting,
we shared bags of Friendship Bread starter....


and loaves of Friendship bread...


and Friendship Bread cookies.



Author Darien Gee skyped with our group here
in Texas from her home in Hawaii...


Would anyone like a bag of Friendship Bread starter?!


I'd love to hear any book club ideas 
from those of you who have been
in long-time, real-life book clubs.
Suggestions? Tips? Advice?



What is the Sunday Salon?
Imagine some university library's vast reading room.
It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in.
They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,
and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go.
Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and
compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....


That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual.
Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon
get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read.
And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs.
Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon,
an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities
 and fall into a good book. 
Click here to join the Salon.

17 comments:

  1. Your book club looks like a lot of fun! What are you going to read next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to start your book club. Now I'll have to check out the book, it loos interesting.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress
    Freelance Editing By Mason

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, our August book was Water for Elephants. We had a good turnout and the discussion was excellent. In September, we are doing a new Big Read called Gulf Coast Reads. Our book for the Big Read is One Amazing Thing by Chitra Divakaruni, a Houston author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds lovely - I love the idea of sharing home-baked bread and cookies, too. Good luck with it, I hope it continues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks very nice. Just started in a new book club too. I think The Help is the new book?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awesome! I really, really want to belong to a book club again. It's been years. And I like the idea of themed foods. Enjoy!

    Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just bought this book at Borders. Looking forward to reading it -- I've heard good things. Wish I could find a book club where I live (I run one for teens, but I don't think they'd like this one very much....)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been in one club that has met for 20 years this month, but we never do anything clever or theme related so I am no help

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you have a great group of book lovers there and the baked goods look yummy. I really should try and join a book club, I can be such a hermit:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a lot of fun! I love it that some authors are now willing to Skype with book clubs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like a really fun book club idea. We often will do themes with our book club meetings making the food served to match the topic of the book, or play music associated with the book...but nothing as eleaborate as you have mentioned here.

    How do I joing Sunday Salon? Your tab didn't work.

    -Anne
    My Head is Full of Books

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never mind. I just figured it out. Sunday Salon is a Facebook group. Got it!

    -Anne
    My Head is Full of Books

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a lot of fun! I haven't joined any book clubs that weren't online, but I'm thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful that you have a book club! I've loved being involved with my book club. We haven't done anything themed like this, but we do have a great time going out to dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dinner might be a nice outing for us. Thanks for the idea, Alyce.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds like so much fun! :-) Love the look of that yummy food.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fabulous looking bunch, and what creative and wonderful ideas. I've never heard of an author skyping a bookgroup- how fantastic. I wish I'd realised that the Big Read was by a Houston author, I could have bought one while I was there. I saw the ads around and about the place. How was the book?

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.