Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Best Sequels Ever




Best Sequels Ever


If you thought I was quirky about movies made from books (I don't like them)....

If you thought I was quirky about finishing books (I don't if I don't want to)....

If you thought I was quirky about reading one book at a time (I read 5-10)....

Here's one of my biggest reading quirks....I rarely read sequels.

My response to this prompt:  

 


What is it about sequels that I'm missing?



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

14 comments:

  1. To know if the sequel is good you need to read the first book first...

    So maybe start with the second book in World is Not Enough or The Time Quintet as you liked the first books

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea. But...

    I've tried to read both, but I couldn't get into them. Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like you for the most part. Not fond of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! I don't blog, but when I saw this topic this morning, I didn't think I could have come up with even one. Even series that I've enjoyed (Hunger Games, for example), leave me comparing the later books to the first one and they always come up short. For me, the magic is in a single story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I'm not the only one, Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. Even when I have read series books, nothing, to me, compares to the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting! I don't read as many sequels as some. Coming up with 10 was really hard, but I do die in the process of waiting for the few that follow after a book I really loved. Thanks for visiting my TTT. :)

    - Jana @ That Artsy Reader Girl

    ReplyDelete
  8. I skipped this one today also as I couldn't really think of 10 best sequels ever. I do read a very few continuing detective series, such as Rizzoli and Isles, so would the second book of that set be the one I should mention? What if I liked the 5th or 6th better? Maybe I am being too literal with this question. Anyway, I passed on this, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that sequels more often than not are disappointing, but once I start a series I just need to finish it. I usually find the first and final books in a series much better than the one(s) in between.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Ellie. I agree. The middle always feels like a filler.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would think a fifth or sixth in a series would still count as a sequel, Rita. Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree sequels usually are a let down. Harry Potter is one series that didn't go downhill IMO. I also think some of the middle books in the Jessica Darling series are better than the first book. But most of the time it's just like sequels for movies... you get all excited waiting for it and then.... it sucks.

    Thanks for stopping by My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, I love your response! This is probably the best TTT I've ever saw. ;D
    Great response & thanks for stopping by my TTT! (:

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like series books, but have a harder time reading sequels and trilogies. If I really liked a book I'm always afraid the next book will ruin it.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.