Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Best Books So Far This Year




I'm right at the 100 mark for the year (well, 97, to be exact) so this is a great time to take a look back at my favorite reads so far.

Here are some you might like to check out...

NONFICTION...
Getting Schooled: The Reeducation of an American Teacher
Mister Owita's Guide to Gardening


GROWN-UP CLASSICS...
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
When I Was Puerto Rican


FAVORITE 1001 CHILDREN'S BOOKS...
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Superfudge by Judy Blume
The Call of the Wild by Jack London
Emil and the Detectives
The Seeing Stone by Kevin Crossley-Holland
I Am Not Esther
The Red Shoe
The Sweet, Terrible, Glorious Year That I Truly, Completely Lost It


NEW CHILDREN'S BOOKS...
Penny and Her Marble by Kevin Henkes
Kelsey Green, Reading Queen


GOOD FICTION...
Orphan Train
The Rosie Project
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
Frog Music


A SMALL BUT WISE STORY...
The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly


SCARY...
The Silent Wife



    





    Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

20 comments:

  1. Wow a 100 books is staggering ! I have only set 25 for this year . White Fang by Jack London is one of my childhood favourites though I haven't read Call of the Wild.

    ReplyDelete
  2. White Fang is on the 1001 List, too, so I imagine I'll be reading that one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are consistently the most eclectic reader I know Deb. And probably the speediest too. I don't know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I've read a few these, but there are lot more I need to get to :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard amazing things about Frog Music, I can't wait to pick that one up!
    Great list! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can still remember the summer that I read Grapes Of Wrath--I was totally obsessed with that book! It's by far my favorite Steinbeck novel. I also really liked Silent Wife and The Rosie Project. I just finished Storied Life . . . last week and enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a second read of Grapes. Such a great novel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list... I just finished Mister Owitas Giode to Gardening - so good. Hope to reread The Grapes of Wrath within the next year, and Orphan Train is waiting on my kindle. A.J. Fikry seems to be a must read, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My shallow is showing, but I want to read the Hen book because THE COVER!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 100 books is a lot, I'm currently only at 53. I actually haven't read any of the books you've mentioned but have a few of them on my TBR list, so it's nice to see they made your list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved The Orphan Train. I haven't heard of any of the other books.

    Going to check them out.

    Have a good rest of your reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I read it so many times as child. I haven't heard of any of the others though!

    x Ely

    ReplyDelete
  13. Frog Music is on my list, too--I loved it! I'd like to read AJ Fikry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, 97 books is awesome! I am totally jealous, that is about where I was last year. This year, not so much. Glad you've been enjoying so many books!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic list - lots of variety! Since we both liked Rosie & A.J. Fikry I'm sure I'll like Frog Music and Orphan Train too. Hope the second half of the year is just as good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What did you think of 'The Hen Who Dreamed She Could Fly'? It's been on my wishlist for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I liked it very much. It's a little fable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been wondering about The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry; it was on sale a couple weeks ago in the shop near the clinic I volunteer at, and I regret not picking it up. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.