Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Ten Authors That Live Happily on My Shelves


Now this was an easy post to write. I don't keep many books these days. Just the good ones. The really, really good ones.

So...what authors do I have most on my shelf?


Ray Bradbury (7)...Seven books, including Illustrated Man and Martian Chronicles


William Steig (5)...Four, including Sylvester and the Magic Pebble and Rotten Island


Maira Kalman (4)...Four, including Principles of Uncertainty and Looking at Lincoln


Robert McCloskey (3)...Three, including Blueberries for Sal and Make Way for Ducklings


Wallace Stegner (3)...The Spectator Bird, Crossing to Safety, and Angle of Repose


Antoine de Saint-Exupery (3)...The Little Prince, in three different languages


Carol Shields (2)...Happenstance and The Box Garden


Edward Eager (2)...Half Magic and Seven-Day Magic


Elizabeth Berg (2)...Talk Before Sleep and Open House


Pearl S. Buck (2)...Two copies of The Good Earth


Marilynne Robinson (2)...Two copies of Gilead



Update:  Little Book Pixie just shared the idea of using a Goodreads button to figure out which author one has read the most. Thank you! Here are my results:


Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance: Most Read Authors

























What authors are living happily on your shelves?



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

21 comments:

  1. Love Ray Bradbury ... and have read several of the authors on your list. Very diverse! Thanks for visiting my Top Ten Tuesday at Long and Short Reviews -- I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! Yes, I had to use Goodreads to help me figure out which authors I've read the most (I equated most "owned" with most "read" because I really haven't used the library as much as I should have over the years. I've basically bought all the books I've read over the years ... at least I'm helping to support writers, I tell myself!) But the results from Goodreads surprised me--I would never have remembered how much John Irving and Anne Tyler I have read over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to see how my lists (book on shelves vs. books read at GR) were different!

      Delete
  3. Funny! When I checked out your list, I found your authors were new-to-me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! That's really cool that you own The Little Prince in 3 different languages :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I own a single book by any of these authors! I keep meaning to get around to Ray Bradbury though.
    Fantastic list! I'll be making sure to check a few of them out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how the shelves of the most obsessive readers can be so different!

      Delete
  6. Oh, I forgot about Wallace Stegner. I think I have a few of his books around. I went a bit of a Stegner blitz a few years back and LOVED his books. My book club wasn't so sure about him when I made them read The Angle of Repose, however. Do you keep records of how many books you've read by authors or did you add them up for this project? I think it is really neat to see the lists this week because, to some degree, they represent what we read as children (or to our children). So often we are busy focusing on the here and now that we forget to look back on the special books that built our literary foundation. Here is my list and you will see that I have several books that were special to my children (and me) while they were growing up. MyTTT-Anne@HeadFullofBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I physically counted the books on my bookshelves. (I forgot to include e-books and nonfiction.)

      Delete
  7. +JMJ+

    There's often a big difference between the authors we've read the most and the authors we own the most books by, isn't there? I'm glad you pointed that out! =)

    A friend sent me a lot of Ray Bradbury books when I was younger, but I sold those copies at a garage sale. Now I only have The Martian Chronicles and Fahrenheit 451. It would be nice if Bradbury were still a big part of my library, but I guess I had to learn that lesson the hard way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband saw me counting books and asked what I was up to. When I explained that I was trying to figure out which author's books were most common on my shelves, he reminded me of Bradbury. Bradbury, it's always Bradbury with him. Of course he was right.

      Delete
  8. I don't think I have heard of a lot of the authors on this list. Great list though :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun list!
    The Little Prince is such a sweet book. I can see why you have three copies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list! I like the idea of using Goodreads to figure out which authors you've read the most. Terry Pratchett and Alexander McCall Smith would definitely be on my list too; I tend to re-read their books a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list, as always. I love all the author pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of all of these authors, I've only met Maira Kalman!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I had kept all of the books that I had as a kid. Beverly Cleary would have been on my list, along with Judy Blume, Francine Pascal, and Stephen King.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.