Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Authors I've Read the Most

Skipped children's books. (Oh my gosh, how many Mo Willems books have I read? Dr. Seuss? William Steig? I've got a huge number of children's books completely memorized I've read them so many times...Wanna hear me recite How the Grinch Stole Christmas? No, I had to skip children's book authors.) 

Skipped fiction. (Good grief, I've read so many Alexander McCall Smith books that I've lost count. How many Sue Grafton books are there, anyway? I think she's up to X, which makes...oh, twenty-something. Lots of fiction I read is like a donut...tasty while you are reading it, but, really, what do you take away from a donut?)

So, today I decided to focus on authors who write nonfiction that I've read the most. See what you think about these folks....


Anne Fadiman  (4)






Atul Gawande  (3)





Malcolm Gladwell (4)







Tony Horwitz (5)









Maira Kalman (5)











Tracy Kidder (5)











Barbara Kingsolver (4)








Erik Larson (4)










Anna Quindlen (4)





 Anne Lamott (9)





P. S. I got curious and went back to Goodreads. Here are my top-read authors, according to Goodreads:  Terry Pratchett (10), Anne Lamott (10), Kathleen Krull (11), Haruki Murakami (11), Janet Evanovich (15), Beverly Cleary (15), Ray Bradbury (16), Elizabeth Berg (16), Alexander McCall Smith (18), Anne Tyler (20), Phyllis Whitney (20), Mo Willems (22), and Dr. Seuss (30).





Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

27 comments:

  1. Nice! I have to say those are all new to me authors! Glad you enjoyed so many from them!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, nice idea to choose nonfiction books! Have to say I haven't heard of any of these, though ... I'll have to check them out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol - I have no loyalty when it comes to non-fiction. Definitely more topic driven then by author.

    I have to say I LOVE Beverly Cleary. If I included pre-high school books she definitely would have been on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous list as always Deb, they're always so thoughtful and considered. I'm ashamed to have never read any Atul Gawande- I've bought almost all of his books, but not read any as yet. I have read most of your other authors but only one book from each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would confidently say that you would love Atul Gawande.

      Delete
  5. Great list! The only person I've read from it was Malcolm Gladwell. Been meaning to pick up Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird, I heard great things about it :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard about any of them :O , glad you enjoyed them all :)
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know about any of these authors until I got to your list. I love discovering new authors! Thanks for sharing! I will definitely add some of them to my trb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You read a good bit of nonfiction. I try to add one in every now and then. But mostly I fail. :)
    Happy reading!
    Brittany @ This is the Story of My(Reading) Life

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read a few of these books. Being Mortal - wonderful book - everyone should read it. Traveling Mercies - discussed with book group. Devil In The White City - discussed with mystery book group. The Spirit Catches You And You Fall Down - what a book! However, non-fic is not my preference. So, not so much for me. Now, if you want to talk about Phyllis Whitney....LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to read more of Malcom Gladwell definitely. Awesome Post, will chedk out more authors listed. Check out my Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, great idea. I've read several of Lamott's, Quindlen's, Kingsolver's, and Gladwell's. I didn't even realize Fadiman has books beyond The Spirit Catches You, and I've never even heard of Gawande, Horowitz, or Kalman. Based on how much I like the authors here that I am familiar with, I'm thinking I need to get started on those three! Do you have a top recommendation for them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horowitz is funny, Gawande is thoughtful, and Kalman is soothing.

      Delete
  12. This was a really interesting version of the TTT prompt - I really don't read enough non-fiction to have a favourite NF author, but maybe I need to start reading more, though!
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both lists are great! I need to read some more Anne Lamott :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE Tony Horwitz! Baghdad Without a Map was probably my favorite though I enjoyed A Voyage Long and Strange and Blue Latitudes were great as well. Have you read J. Maarten Troost? His focus is a little different but his writing style reminds me of Horwitz. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice list! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. As per usual, the simple and direct way you present your list makes me want to run out and buy all those books or makes me angry with myself for not reading more, more, more. There really is some stress to be gained by all these lists...more books on the TBR pile. Specifically the Anne Fadiman books. I loved Ex Libris, devoured it as a matter of fact and I didn't realize she had more of that ilk. My list is boring compared with yours but here is the link just in case. Sigh. Anne's TTT

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your approach to this weeks Top 10 Tuesday, focusing on non-fiction authors. I enjoy seeing how different bloggers interpret the topics each week.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting list of books. I like how you focused on non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Non-fiction, wow. I don't even think I'd have two authors on that list. Great list :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great List! Wow. Lots of interesting titles here. Thanks for stopping by my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't read that much non-fiction, but my husband does. It's a great list.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't really read non-fiction but my friend picked up a few in the past few months and loved them so she'll be super happy when I show her your lovely list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, lots of books. I read 2 books on vacation. One was from Franke Potente, a german actress, living in the USA now.
    Best, Synnöve

    ReplyDelete
  24. Larson's In the Garden of Beasts is an amazing and scary read. These are all good. Anna Quindlen wrote a good poignant book about dogs. I think called Good Dog. Stay which made me an even bigger fan --- being a dog person and all.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.