Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Books I Love...and Hate

It's paradoxical (but isn't most truth?) but some of the books I loved the most were the ones that I also hated the most. Odd.

The Things They Carried
Loved the beauty of the words; hated painful parts of the story.

We Need to Talk About Kevin
Loved the writing; hated the relationship between the son and the mother.

The Pillars of the Earth
Loved the plot; hated the length of the novel.

The Road
Loved the relationship of son and dad; hated the graphic violence.

The Glass Castle
Loved the characters; hated the characters.

The Good Earth
Loved the story; hated the suffering of the wife.

Maus
Loved the brilliant story; hated the bleakness of the story.

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
Loved the family in the story; hated the way they were treated by others.

The Bell Jar
Loved the writing; hated the depression of the main character.

The Other Side by Jacqueline Woodson
Loved the friendship of the girls; hated how they had to stay apart.



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

17 comments:

  1. Wow this is a great topic!! So many books I've loved and also hated. I really need to accept the fact that it is possible to love and hate a book. It's never even crossed my mind that I could! Especially what you said about The Glass Castle where you love and hate the characters. That happens to me all the time if I really think about it. I usually just try to talk myself out of the hate part if I'm loving most parts of the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a unique way to review books. It causes me to think about my favorites in a new light... I would probably add Of Mice and Men and Lord of the Flies to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I don't usually finish books that I dislike, but that being said, I have finished books that I ended up depressed about or uncomfortable with. That's like 'hating' it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree with you on The Glass Castle, it was the one book that I really disliked the characters while not being able to put the book down. I was hoping that things would get better, but I also did finish the book, which normally I would not have. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We need to talk about Kevin is my favourite discussion book, just wow. I totally agree with Glass Castle, love and hate. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard such good things about Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry - I really must give that a go! Glad you enjoyed these!

    Kyra @ Blog of a Bookaholic
    My TTT Post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you've tackled the list this week! It was interesting to read your comments. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's funny. I haven't read any of the books on your list for the same reasons you love/hate them. One day I will read Things They Carried and Maus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great take on this week's theme. It's always interesting to see what you have to say. I'm afraid to read any Cormac McCarthy because of what I hear about the violence, and frankly, The Good Earth always sounded boring to me. I completely agree about We Need to Talk About Kevin, The Things They Carried, and Glass Castle. Really good, but so hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two wonderful books are on this list! The Things They Carried and The Glass Castle. I think that they are love and hate books because the topics they cover are hard to read, but well worth the read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've put your finger, with a lot of these, on what makes them challenging but worthwhile reads. I need to be pushing myself a little more as I've been reading too many comfort reads that aren't in the end, very satisfying. Great and interesting list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The ones I've read I definitely agree. Most of the ones I haven't are on my TBR. I hppe I can get to them soon. Love/hate is definitely how you have to approach books like this. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh what a great way to do this topic! It's so true... sometimes the best books are the most painful to read. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely agree about the love/hate thing. Particularly we need to talk about Kevin and The Road. Both good books but then also - well, the Kevin book, I was totally hooked, fascinated to be honest but you're right about the relationship which was awful to read. The Road was just so bleak. It's a good book but you really do have to be in the mood.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. There are so many interesting books in your list, most of which are out of my comfort zone. Guess I should check them out. I actually read The Glass Castle a really long time ago, but I can't remember much about it - guess I should re-read since it's being talked so much about lately (I guess it's becoming a movie?).

    Great List anyway!

    Bruna Writes

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know what you mean. I think it is books which make us have strong feeling that are often the best overall (unless our strong feelings are about length!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post! I have The Glass Castle in my TBR pile. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.