Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Ten of My Favorite Books Set in the American West



Lonesome Dove
This is a must-read. I've yet to meet a person who hasn't loved this book.


One Thousand White Women
This one is a book I read a long, long time ago.
A woman gets a chance to start over out west.

Sarah, Plain and Tall
It's a very short chapter book that will touch your heart.

The Oregon Trail: A New American Journey
Two brothers attempt to travel the Oregon Trail. It's nonfiction.

These is My Words
It's fiction, but I would have sworn it was nonfiction.

Death Comes for the Archbishop
I just read this one this summer. It's full of the beauty and charm of New Mexico.

By the Great Horn Spoon!
I read this book as a child. 
It was so good that it sent me back to the F shelf in the library 
for every Sid Fleischman book the library had.

True Grit
You've seen the movie, and you aren't interested in this book? 
I said the same thing, but others finally talked me into reading it. 
One of the best books I've ever read.

Little House on the Prairie
Still a great read aloud for your children or your students.

Horseman, Pass By
A very different story than McMurtry's Lonesome Dove.
A powerful book, nevertheless.






Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

19 comments:

  1. Oh nice topic! All totally new to me ones!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your list is new to me but recently I've read quite a few with this setting as well as the Civil War as its background. Eye openers all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sid Fleischman's books. He started out in the early '50s writing paperback thrillers as A. S. Fleischman. Also wrote western novels, some of which were filmed. Then completely reinvented himself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Sarah Plain and Tall and the Little House books as a child. I've been wanting to read The Oregon Trail book. It sounds fascinating. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have True Grit and The Oregon Trail on my TBR already. I read Lonesome Dove years ago, and some other McMurty too. I have some Oregon Trail ancestors, which I've always been somewhat proud of, but then I consider the fact that Oregon was settled for over ten thousand years before we showed up and pushed people off their land and killed most of them, and my feelings get more...complicated. Still, I too love these kinds of books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lonesome Dove is on my list of to-read books, especially after your great review of it. I haven't read True Grit either. What is wrong with me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you can knock out a list on any topic! Although I guess this one is fairly obvious. I also love how you read Sid Fleischman as a child- I'd never heard of him til 1001. I haven't got to reading Sarah, Plain and Tall although I'm pretty sure that you gave me a copy. I'm looking forward to both of them hitting the schedule sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the Little house books as a kid and the whole concept of the frontier. And I think The Oregon Trail would be fascinating- the Lewis and Clark expedition has always fascinated me too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read any of these books but lots are intriguing me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good choices! I can't wait to read The Oregon Trail.

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Out of these books I've only read True Grit (great book) and Little House on the Prairie, but I have Lonesome Dove on my reading list.

    I'd like to recommend a book I picked up second-hand many years ago and have read several times since: The Gentle Tamers: Women of the Old Wild West, by Dee Brown. It's about the pioneer women of the West. It led me to Women's Diaries of the Westward Journey, by Lillian Schlissel, which I haven't read yet, but it will be interesting to read since it contains long passages from primary sources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will add both of this to my wish list. Thank you so much for the recommendations.

      Delete
  12. I've had Lonesome Dove on my TBR list for years! I really need to sit down and give it a try. So many people love it! And I loved These Is My Words. I've read it twice now and thought it was just as good the second time around. Death Comes for the Archbishop is one of my favorites by Cather. She paints such imagery with her words!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list & post. I'd like to read Death Comes for the Archbishop. I liked Cather's My Antonia. Maybe I would add a Steinbeck novel to your list. I need to read Lonesome Dove. If I went to school in Texas, there are no excuses!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great topic! I haven't yet read Lonsome Dove, but I would like to. I have heard only good things about it. Sarah, Plain and Tall! I haven't heard that title in ages. I loved that one as a child. These Is My Words is another one I liked quite a bit. Is it terrible that I didn't know True Grit was a book?

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.