Sunday, August 21, 2016

The Happiness Tag and What I Read Lately



I've been tagged by Anne at My Head is Full of Books to complete The Happiness Tag.  Thank you very much, Anne!

Rules:
1. List 5 things that make you happy.
2. List 5 songs that make you happy.
3. List 5 bloggers that make you happy and let them know that they have been nominated.


So here goes...


5 Things That Make Me Happy

Reading

Paris, Chicago, and Other Travels

People I Love and People I Like

Walking and Swimming and Doing Yoga

God

5 Songs That Make Me Happy

This is quite easy. I have actually made myself a mix tape of songs that make me happy.


Happy. Of course. 


 
Simon and Garfunkel's 59th Street Bridge Song


Louis Armstrong's What a Wonderful World


Bob Marley's Don't Worry Be Happy


Bing Crosby's Swinging on a Star


5 Bloggers That Make Me Happy
You know who you are. 
(There's a lot more of you than five.)
So consider yourself tagged. If you wish. If it makes you happy.


What I Finished Lately

I've gotten a bit behind with posting my reviews.
This ought to catch me up.


covertitleauthorreview
The Nightingale
You should write a review as soon as you finish a book, I think, and I would write this review for this book that I just finished if I could just stop ...more
Call the Midwife: A True Story of the East End in the 1950s
The power of this story is that it takes you to another world than our modern day, first world lives. A world where mothers have eight children and th ...more
The Thirteenth Tale
The genre for this book is gothic novel. It was my mother's favorite kind of book. Because I didn't want to go against my mom, and because it was at l ...more
With Any Luck I'll Drive a Truck
Ah, this one is good. You kids out there who love big machines? This one's for you. Read it and you can drive 'em all, too---18-wheelers...concrete mi ...more
Return (Journey Trilogy, #3)
Everything you want in a picture book...beautiful illustrations...fantastic story...adventure...action...magic....Journey. It was a Caldecott Honor bo ...more
Quest (Journey Trilogy, #2)
Everything you want in a picture book...beautiful illustrations...fantastic story...adventure...action...magic....Journey. It was a Caldecott Honor bo ...more
Journey (Journey Trilogy, #1)
Everything you want in a picture book...beautiful illustrations...fantastic story...adventure...action...magic....Journey. It was a Caldecott Honor bo ...more
The Gingerbread Man Loose at The Zoo
Is there a genre called "Gingerbread Man books"? There should be. There are so many of them. And there's a good reason for that...kids love gingerbrea ...more
A Tiger Tail: (Or What Happened to Anya on Her First Day of School)
Marvelous. Anya wakes up on the first day of school and discovers she has a tiger tale. Eek. What to do? Her parents aren't much help. Finally, she st ...more
The Dragon's Hoard: Stories from the Viking Sagas
There's a reason why folk tales and fairy tales and sagas and legends last: they are good stories. The Dragon's Hoard is a collection of old stories t ...more
Dark Matter
When you read a book in one sitting, it says something about the book. I read Dark Matter in one sitting. I couldn't stop reading.

Jason teaches physic
 ...more
How to Party with an Infant
Mele tells her boyfriend that she's pregnant and he tells her he is engaged. Mele has her baby, Ellie, alone and joins a parent group for support.

Tha
 ...more
Top Secret Twenty-One (Stephanie Plum, #21)
I got a little behind on the Stephanie Plum mysteries, so I got to enjoy two Plums this summer. Enjoy is a good word when it comes to the Plums. You a ...more
A Weird and Wild Beauty: The Story of Yellowstone, the World's First National Park
Erin Peabody takes us along with a team of thirty-two men who headed out in 1871 to explore Yellowstone in the first scientific expedition there. It's ...more
Thunderwith
Lara's mother dies and Lara is sent to live with a father she doesn't know and his new family. Her father's wife and her new sisters are not all eager ...more
The Light of Paris
It had Paris in the title and an Eiffel Tower on the cover...I'm helpless in the face of these things to stop myself from nabbing this book.

It didn't
 ...more
The Bookshop on the Corner
Nina has troubles. She's just lost her job. She's lost her home. She doesn't know what to do next.

And then she gets a crazy idea. What would happen if
 ...more
F Is for France: A Curious Cabinet of French Wonders
It's a trivia book. It's an encyclopedia. It's a curious cabinet of wonders. And it's all about the most wonderful place on earth, France.

You really
 ...more
Of All Sad Words: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #15)
We listened to two mystery audiobooks, one on the way to West Texas, and one on the way home, both by my favorite mystery writer, Bill Crider. That's ...more
The Little Paris Kitchen
I finally finished my foodie Paris books, The Little Paris Kitchen and Bonjour Kale.
I've had The Little Paris Kitchen for a while, but I've been savi
...more
Emotional Agility: Get Unstuck, Embrace Change, and Thrive in Work and Life
I can't say enough good about Emotional Agility. It is sad to realize that in this day of plenty so many people suffer from depression and anxiety. Em ...more
A Mammoth Murder (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #13)
We listened to two mystery audiobooks, one on the way to West Texas, and one on the way home, both by my favorite mystery writer, Bill Crider. That's ...more
Bonjour Kale: A Memoir of Paris, Love, and Recipes
I finally finished my foodie Paris books, The Little Paris Kitchen and Bonjour Kale.
I've had The Little Paris Kitchen for a while, but I've been savi
...more
The Sun Also Rises
Good grief. How did I get to be almost-sixty without reading this book? It's a brilliant story of a group of lost souls drifting, drifting, drifting, ...more
Satori in Paris & Pic
This confirms it for me: I'm not and never will be a fan of Jack Kerouac. Oh my, how this man does ramble. About nothing. On and on and on. And carous ...more
The Story of Diva and Flea
It's Mo Willems. It's (surprise!) a chapter book. It's (surprise!) not illustrated by Mo himself, but by the wonderful Tony DiTerlizzi. It's a sweet ( ...more
Tricky Vic: The Impossibly True Story of the Man Who Sold the Eiffel Tower
Having known Greg Pizzoli from his fun little picture books like Number One Sam and Templeton Gets His Wish, I was taken aback when I saw he's written ...more
Girl in Dior
How serendipitous it was to read this book at the same time I read Mrs. 'arris Goes to Paris. Both take on Dior and fashion and Paris as they were, an ...more
Bonjour tristesse
This could be the ultimate French book. A young narrator, Cecile, drifting into adulthood, in France, is learning about the pleasures of a first love ...more
Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris
(Some spoilers)

Mrs. Harris is a cleaning woman who sets her sights on a Dior dress, a dress that costs a year's wages, a dress she hasn't a place to w
 ...more
In the Café of Lost Youth
Yes, it's brilliant and true, but it's full of sadness, too. Ennui on every page.

Louki is the poor daughter of a single mother and she has lost out o
...more
Takedown Twenty (Stephanie Plum, #20)
If you are thinking about reading this book, the twentieth book in the Stephanie Plum series, I don't need to tell you much about the plot. You alread ...more
Paris Is Always a Good Idea
A little mystery...a little romance...and, of course, Paris. That's the gist of this book.

Rosalie is the owner of a tiny postcard shop in Paris. One
 ...more
750 Years in Paris
Now isn't this fun? Mahé takes a building in Paris from the time it was first built until the present day, stopping now and then to take a close look ...more
Five Nights in Paris: After Dark in the City of Light
John Baxter takes on yet another tour of Paris, this time at night. Baxter spouts out story after story as he leads us around the city in the dark for ...more
The Runaway Wife
No, the setting isn't France, but it's so close that you can see France just over the border. To add to the book's France factor, most of the characte ...more
Sixty: A Diary of My Sixty-First Year: The Beginning of the End, or the End of the Beginning?
I'm turning sixty this year, and my husband did so last month, and all my old friends either just have or are just about to, so how could I pass up th ...more
Sacred Clowns (Leaphorn & Chee, #11)
My first Tony Hillerman mystery. We took it along with us on our trip to New Mexico at the suggestion of some book blogger friends. It was a great sug ...more
Nine, Ten: A September 11 Story
Whew. I finished this book an hour ago and I'm still crying a little.

Let me see if I can stop this weeping and tell you about the story.

Four kids wit
 ...more
My Mrs. Brown
Ah, Mrs. Brown. You probably didn't notice her as she's quiet and modest and dresses plainly and sews and cleans up to make a small living. She's the ...more 




What have you been reading lately? Can you share any recommendations? 


           


What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.


Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.

24 comments:

  1. A very "Happy" post! Loved seeing your "5's"! And loved looking through the books! I loved The Thirteenth Tale, and that is the only book I've read on your list besides Diva and Flea, which I also loved. Dark Matter is in my eReader and The Nightingale is on my bookshelf waiting to be read. From the looks of it, I need to read these NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your happy pics..and you've read some pretty good book. I loved Dark Matter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dark Matter has everything people look for in a book or a movie.

      Delete
  3. Definitely feeling happy after reading (and listening) to your post!

    I hope you enjoy the Hemingway...I read that one as a teenager, but didn't read his book A Moveable Feast until a couple of years ago.

    It takes what it takes for us to get to these books, doesn't it?

    Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a post about happiness makes me feel quite...happy.

      Delete
  4. Sitting here on the chaise lounge under the grapevines listening to The 59th St. Bridge Song, feeling groovy indeed!

    My big sis turned 60 this summer too. Have you read Ursula Le Guin's poetry collection "Sixty Odd"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I must see if I can find a copy before my birthday in November.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE every one of your happy songs :)

    And I've added quite a few French books to my TBR, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! You can never have too many French books in your TBR.

      Delete
  6. I might have to do this although I'm an anti-tagger so probably won't tag anyone else if/when I do this. With you on some of the things that make you happy, "Feeling Groovy" and reading, of course, among them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post makes me happy. Thanks for playing along. I am also groovin out to your musical choices right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool post!! ;) Your happy pics made me happy!! Lovin' the tunes too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this post.

    You do have a lot of happy things in your life. Thanks for sharing.

    Thank you for the happiness tag you left for me on my blog.

    I see THE THIRTEENTH TALE in your list...I really liked that book. Your mother is right. :)

    Have a great week, and thanks for coming by my blog, Deb.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?

    ReplyDelete
  10. How is When Breath becomes air? I've been meaning to read that as well. Love your books that you've recently finished! Of course you are happy - who wouldn't be after reading all those awesome books... I loved The Nightingale! Have you read Salt to the Sea?? Here's my It's Monday:
    http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/08/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun (happy) post! That's some book list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun! I love your music selection -- I have a happiness playlist, too, and I'm going to add a couple of your songs!

    Thanks for tagging me -- I think I'll do this on Friday with British-themed things that make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness! What a list of books! I have been curious about Dark Matter and will now be adding it to my list. I also need to look for Return since I also enjoyed Journey and Quest. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy songs indeed! Those are a lot of reviews. I'm very glad to see you liked The Sun Also Rises. I'm a Hemingway fan too. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a nice tag! Love it. And Dark Matter has me curious since I keep seeing reviews and your thoughts on it on GR.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lot of great books. The Bookshop On The Corner looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I posted my British-themed version of Happiness Tag: http://www.joyweesemoll.com/2016/08/26/the-makes-me-happy-edition-brifri/

    What a fun post to write -- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely tag! Thanks for tagging me. Sometimes it's good to focus on some happiness in the midst of this crazy world.

    The How to Party with an Infant book made me chuckle. If personal experience has taught me anything, it's much easier to party with an infant (who mostly sleeps) than it is to party with a toddler who is constantly on the move!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like you've had a pretty great week :) Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.