Sunday, June 25, 2017

The Best of BookExpo


Ninety-eight pounds of books is a lot of books to bring home from a conference, to sort through after a conference. It took a month for me to pick out my favorites from that huge pile of books. In the meantime, I actually managed to read a few of those I hauled home, including The Radium Girls (don't miss this one.) Here, then, are the books I hope to read soon:


The Best Cookbooks from BookExpo:
Cooking with Nonna: Celebrate Food and Family with Over 100 Classic Recipes from Italian Grandmothers
The South's Best Butts: Pitmaster Secrets for Southern Barbecue Perfection
What Can I Bring? Southern Food for Any Occasion Life Serves Up


The Best Children's Picture Books from BookExpo:
Bizzy Mizz Lizzie by David Shannon
Mary McScary by R. L. Stine, illustrated by Marc Brown
Miguel and the Grand Harmony by Matt de la Pena


The Best Middle School Books from BookExpo:
Kid Authors: True Tales of Childhood from Famous Authors
Little Bigfoot, Big City by Jennifer Weiner
Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
All's Faire in Middle School by Victoria Jamieson
The Frog Princess Returns by E. D. Baker
The Dragon With a Chocolate Heart by Stephanie Burgis


The Best YA Books from BookExpo:
North of Happy by Adi Alsaid
What to Say Next by Julie Buxbaum
Windfall by Jennifer E. Smith
Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds


The Best Adult Fiction from BookExpo:
Sing, Unburied Sing by Jesmyn Ward
The Sunshine Sisters by Jane Green
The Windfall by Diksha Basu
The Leavers by Lisa Ko
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid


The Best Adult Nonfiction from BookExpo:
It's All Relative by A. J. Jacobs
The Blue Zones of Happiness by Dan Buettner
The Four Tendencies by Gretchen Rubin
Ageless Soul by Thomas Moore
Things That Join the Sea and the Sky: Field Notes on Living by Mark Nepo


Pretty cool, right?

Well, another cool thing about BookExpo is that the books continue to pour in even after BookExpo is over. Here are three more that came in this week:

Quirk Books sent Library of Souls: The Third Novel of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, along with a #STAYPECULIAR book bag and pin and a poster from the upcoming movie.

From New Vessel Press came A Very French Christmas, and from Simon and Schuster came Our Story Begins: Your Favorite Authors and Illustrators Share Fun, Inspiring, and Occasionally Ridiculous Things They Wrote and Drew as Kids.


I think I need to get busy reading!


What are you reading today?






What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.

31 comments:

  1. OMG, Deb! What a haul! I am so jealous! ;-) I intended to go to Book Expo this year, but just couldn't get out of the obligations at home! So many wonderful books! One thing I never did see much in past Book Expo's was cookbooks! Looks like times have changed! Enjoy the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm mad for cookbooks, so I was thrilled to bring home some from BookExpo.

      Delete
  2. Gosh what a gorgeous pile of reads. Enjoy all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great haul! I am loving The Sunshine Sisters...and I'm curious about the Jennifer Weiner book.

    Thanks for sharing, and enjoy! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a haul! You really got a nice mix from BEA, and I look forward to all of the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think I've figured out the best of the best, but there are always lots of surprises.

      Delete
  5. So many wonderful books!!! I don't know how you manage to prioritize... I'd want to read them all NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful haul of books, happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome that you got The Radium Girls! I actually have an autographed copy :) pride of my entire year :D
    Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun to browse through your books. Almost as much fun as bringing them home myself! Thanks for the book you brought me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! What a great haul. I'm curious about What Can I Bring and may have to see if my library has a copy. I really don't need to buy another cookbook...

    Adding The Radium Girls to my list. I've been hearing very good things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that, is a lot of books. I'm glad that you were able to grab so many! Have a good week, and happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I'd be doing anything but sitting around looking at all my pretty books! I really love the cookbooks you got. Both Cooking with Nona and What Can I Bring look like ones I'd enjoy. I've been in a bit of a cooking slump and need a good cookbook to bust me out of it. Enjoy them all! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! You sure got a lot of books! I really need to go to a BookExpo some day!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great selection of books! Seven Husbands looks interesting. It may be one I read this summer. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am excited that A.J. Jacobs has a new one out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a great haul of books! I wish I could've attended BookExpo- but I'm prepared to make the next Jaipure Lit. Fest I attend as memorable as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great haul! I had previously gotten a package from Bloomsbury with The Frog Princess Returns and The Dragon with a Chocolate Heart. I enjoyed both of them. I hope you do too. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely problem to have! At least you don't need to worry about what you will be reading for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! I made note to keep an eye out for What Can I Bring? I have a thing for cookbooks. Also, Salt to the Sea is in my TBR pile. I've only heard amazing things about it! I was happy to find your blog this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jason Reynolds is so good; I've got to read more of his books!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! A new Frog Princess book. That was a long hiatus. It's been a busy week with a cracked toilet, day camp, and paperwork for cross country. Come see what I'm reading

    ReplyDelete
  21. All books all the time! Yay for sorting out your books and discovering (and sharing) the gems.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 98 pounds? Really? Did you fly to BEA? If so, how did you manage it?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, a lot of books you got here. Glad to hear that you enjoyed a few of them. I hope you enjoy the ones you're currently reading and planning to read as well. Have a wonderful week, my friend. Happy reading. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. My goodness! The most books I got to bring home from a conference were 42 and 28 of those were giveaways... But it is a bit overwhelming - I haven't got around to reading a lot of them, even now. Have a wonderful time reading your book haul:)).

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very neat that you got all these good books! I'm keen to read The Leavers and The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. I'll be interested to hear if you like them. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow this is a great book haul!! I started Salt to the Sea but I was going through a reading slump so it was a DNF dying to get back to it. Same with Radium Girls!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.