Sunday, August 26, 2018

A Week in Which the Call is Issued for Cybils Judges and My Kitchen is Destroyed, and Wherein I Become a Jane-ite

What have I been up to, reading-wise, this week? 





AUSTEN IN AUGUST

It's official: I'm a Jane Austen fan.

I didn't plan it. I tried to avoid it, honestly. I read P&P and S&S long ago, in a whirl of trying to knock off a couple of must-reads, without knowing what all the JA fuss was about. This month, I was simply going to read Persuasion with my book club. It would accomplish two goals at once by also crossing it off my Classics Club list.

But somehow I ended up requesting a huge stack of Jane Austen reference materials from the library along with an annotated Persuasion, and I was off. Reading Jane. Watching Jane movies. Browsing through Jane reference books. Writing about Jane.

Before I knew it, I was hooked. I joined our library branch manager at our book club meeting in oozing the wonderfulness of Jane to the others. I read Persuasion and moved to Northanger Abbey and then Emma and, before I even finished Emma, I'm reading Mansfield Park.

I've loved all these Jane Austen characters so much that I feel like I've been these places in England and befriended them at various parties and dinners and walks and balls.

I'm loving Austen in August.

Now, I have a question for you. This year I have become one of the moderators at The Classics Club. I am curious: Which Jane Austen book do you think is the classic-est? Please vote below. I will try to share the results with you at the end of this month.









CALL FOR CYBILS JUDGES

Are you a reader who loves children's and young adult books? This call is for you. We need a few folks who are interested in reading a lot (let me emphasize this: A LOT) of children's or young adult books, reviewing them, and choosing the best of the best.

Here are common questions with answers from the Cybils website.

What are the Cybils?

The Cybils Awards aim to recognize the children’s and young adult authors and illustrators whose books combine the highest literary merit and popular appeal. If some la-di-dah awards can be compared to brussels sprouts, and other, more populist ones to gummy bears, we’re thinking more like organic chicken nuggets. We’re yummy and nutritious.

Who can serve as a judge?

Anyone who contributes regularly to a blog, podcast, or vlog about any aspect of children’s or young adult literature. Regularly pretty much means at least once a month or so, but there are always exceptions. Ask us if you’re not sure. You must also be at least 16 years old before Oct. 1st. If you’re under 18, we’ll likely ask for an email from a parent saying that you understand the work involved.

What are the categories for the Cybils?


  • Early Chapter Books & Easy Readers
  • Fiction Picture Books & Board Books
  • Graphic Novels
    • Elementary/Middle-Grade
    • Young Adult
  • Middle-Grade Fiction
  • Nonfiction
    • Elementary/Middle Grade
    • Junior High/Senior High
  • Poetry
  • Speculative Fiction
    • Elementary/Middle-Grade
    • Young Adult
  • Young Adult Fiction
We need 5-7 judges for Round 1 and 5-7 judges for Round 2 for each category.

How do I apply to be a judge for the Cybils?

Please fill in this application by September 9th at 11:59 p.m. EDT to be considered for this year’s judging. While we try to give everyone their first or second choice, please note this isn’t always possible. Make sure all three of your choices are ones you could live with. Here’s the link to the application form.


MY KITCHEN IS DESTROYED



Most of my week wasn't spent working on Austen in August or the Cybils, however.

We started the process of remodeling our kitchen. 

It looks pretty bleak, doesn't it?

Tell me things will look better soon.






What has your week been like? 
Are you a Jane Austen fan? 
Do you have interest in becoming a Cybils judge?
Can you pass the word about the Cybils?
Share your thoughts in the comments below.




Austen in August is a celebration of all things Jane Austen, featuring reviews, discussions, vlogs, giveaways, interviews and more. This event runs all of the month of August. Faith Hope and Cherrytea has also created an Austen in August Instagram challenge for the month of August.  To find out more about the Austen in August Instagram challenge, visit Faith Hope and Cherrytea. To find out more about Austen in August, visit The Book Rat.


What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've 
wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound
 journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens 
at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their 
own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, 
mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.


Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.


It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!
This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read”
book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted at The Book Date.



26 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you've become a Jane-ite! This year for RIP I'll probably read The Mysteries of Udolpho, followed up by a reread of Northanger Abbey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIP is an event that I have never participated in. I love it that you'll be reading (or, rather, rereading) Jane for that event.

      Delete
  2. Fun that you got into Jane Austen! And timed well for Austen in August. I voted for Pride and Prejudice as the classic-est. My favorite, though, is Persuasion. Have you been to Bath? I really enjoyed tea in the Pump Room while imagining Jane and her characters strolling about the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to England, Joy, though I think it would be a place I would love to visit.

      Delete
  3. When you retired, you threw yourself immediately into many interesting projects. That works for me, too. My passions were different, but I am also intrigued by the whole Jane Austen project...and I like how you went about it.

    Enjoy...and good luck with that kitchen! I would love to demolish mine...tiny, outdated, etc., but sadly I am renting this condo. LOL.

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just signed up for Cybils Thanks for the heads-up! Welcome to the club. I, too, am a Austen-fan. Didn't know it until I was an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just think - it looks bad now, but in a little while, it will be beautiful, and the way you will love when it's done. Have a wonderful week.

    Mary my Sunday Roundup 33!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so lucky to be enjoying those novels for the first time! I love reading them, have enjoyed some of the TV and film versions, and love rereading them over and over. I wouldn't want to choose one over the others. But I do have a soft spot for the crazy film "Clueless," which of course is Emma in 1990s LA.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m glad you’re enjoying your books. I applied to be a Cybils judge yesterday. I’ve judged prizes before and would love to do it again. Good luck with the remodel!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL Okay, things will look better soon! It does look a bit bleak right now. Just think how it will look when you're finished! I love Jane Austen. Could watch the movies over and over. Same with the books:)

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  9. How are you surviving without a kitchen? I do hope the remodel is finished soon. One day I'll have to give Jane Austen a try. I haven't yet. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been a Jane-ite for most of my reading life since I discovered her in my teens. Welcome to the club. For years I would reread them again and again. I think I have a collection of them all in a book shelf here somewhere. Emma is my favourite, but I think Pride and Prejudice is the classic.

    I have filled in my application.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Emma is a favorite, and it needs a re-read. It's been a while since I've read any of them, but I did love them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How interesting. I have Persuasion on my list to read next month. Well when I say read I am going to listen to it because "they say" this narrator is very good. Like you I am not wrapped in JA and can't see the fuss, but I want to see what the fuss is all about and I need a classic for a reading challenge. I may be converted!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for sharing the information on the Cybils. I'll have to think my time over today before I put my name in the hat. And I'm sure you kitchen looks frightening right now, but how exciting to have it all re-done!! Have a wonderful reading week, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As a person named Jane, I'm just going to imagine that you're all just massive fans of me. ;-D I think I first read Pride and Prejudice as a teen, and oh my goodness did I swoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've tried to be an Austen fan, but I just can't. See what I read this month at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've put in my application with the Cybils again. I'm coming up on a decade of participation. My weekly updates

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really need to read more Austen. I've only read Pride and Prejudice and Northanger Abby. I honestly don't know all that much about her though I did enjoy a podcast on her done by either The History Chicks or Stuff You Missed in History Class. I want to know more! Good luck with the kitchen redo. I haven't done one yet but from what I've heard it feels like it takes forever and is a huge hassle until it's done and then it's completely worth it! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dang, I think I signed out instead of publishing. Duh. I will apply for CYBILS for sure; it was really fun last year. And good luck with the remodel; it's so tiring, but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.