Sunday, August 12, 2018

Austen in August: First Thoughts



I thought it would be love at first sight. It wasn't it.

Jane Austen is everything contemporary America is not. Jane Austen has no real plot points; no buildings explode, and no diabolical schemes to control the world appear in her stories. But Jane Austen isn't wispy either, no light read, no little summer story, not just a bit of romantic fluff.

Jane Austen is completely unexpected. A Jane Austen book is a solid two hundred pages of people in beautiful but uncomfortable clothing, standing around in lovely but uncomfortable homes, talking together, beautifully but uncomfortably.

I thought about turning my copy of Persuasion back into the library. I resisted.

I stuck with Jane.

Jane grew on me.

Jane Austen is clever and intricate; it helps to have an annotated edition of your Austen and to watch the four hour BBC movie of the book and a Jane Austen reference book or two. Jane Austen is subtle; I've missed subtle. Jane Austen builds, rewarding patience and persistence and all those wonderful old-fashioned virtues of the past, as it culminates in a just and genuine ending.

I've been reading Jane Austen for ten days now. I'm reading Carol Shields' bio of Jane as well. And, just for fun, I'm browsing through Jane Austen for Dummies.

I finished Persuasion. I will go on to read all six of Jane's novels. I am completely surprised to discover that I have grown to respect her and admire Jane Austen. So I urge you to persist. Have patience. Read Jane Austen. We need Jane Austen in our world today, I think.



What do you think about Jane Austen? 
Do you have any tips to offer? Suggestions? 
Are you doing Austen in August? 
Which novels of Austen's have you read?



Austen in August is a celebration of all things Jane Austen, featuring reviews, discussions, vlogs, giveaways, interviews and more. This event runs all of the month of August. Faith Hope and Cherrytea has also created an Austen in August Instagram challenge for the month of August.  To find out more about the Austen in August Instagram challenge, visit Faith Hope and Cherrytea. To find out more about Austen in August, visit The Book Rat.

What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've 
wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound
 journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens 
at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their 
own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly, 
mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!  
This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read” 
book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is now being hosted at The Book Date.

16 comments:

  1. I'm glad you kept on reading Jane Austen. She is a favorite. I've been re-watching the BBC version of Sense and Sensibility. I don't get tired to those. I've watched and re-watched all the BBC versions and film adaptations of her novels. Also, Becoming Jane, the movie is very good. It's about her life.

    My favorite book of hers is Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion comes close second. I feel like you need patience and quiet to read her novels. She captured the era she lived in very well, the social expectations and the way she felt about all of it comes through in her stories. I read somewhere that she said that there aren't many happy endings in real life so she wanted to make sure all her books had happy endings.
    I want to read Sense and Sensibility once the Fall arrives, I have more time to settle in the evenings and read with less distractions.
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big Jane Austen fan. And have read all her books, though it's been a while. The last one I read was PERSUASION and it was with a book group several years ago. I was still the leader of that one (I attend sporadically now) and I was still working at the library. It made me laugh to hear some in the group compare PERSUASION to a Harlequin romance. Or Barbara Cartland. No offense to Harlequin or Barbara (have read both), but seriously? In any case, some didn't like it and some, me included, loved it.

    I think I said before that SENSE AND SENSIBILITY is my favorite. I really connect with Elinor Dashwood. Good luck with your journey! There's a reason why people still read Jane Austen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a Jane Austen novice, having only read Pride and Prejudice...many years ago. But when I read Karen Joy Fowler's The Jane Austen Book Club, I suddenly wanted to read more.

    Thanks for the inspiration! Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you've started with perhaps the toughest to connect with, so if you learned to appreciate Persuasion, then you may find yourself delighted by some of her earlier works. That's in no way a criticism of Persuasion - a great book - but undoubtedly without the lightness of, say, Pride and Prejudice and Northanger Abbey, in both of which Austen's wit is more obviously on display. Pride and Prejudice is the one I enjoy re-reading most, but for me, Sense and Sensibility is her best book - the one that says most about her society. I hope you enjoy discovering her other works!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll confess I am not a huge fan of the genre in book form, but love the TV miniseries and movies. Horrible to admit for a reader, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love and I mean LOVE Jane Austen. She is an amazing writer for her time and the beauty of her words makes me happier and happier every time I read her books. Enjoy her - rejoice in her. She is sooo worth it. Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility are amazing. While I really did like Northanger Abbey and Persuasion, I still love P & P the most.

    Mary Sunday Roundup #31!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to reply to your comment about the beauty of her words making you happier every tme you read her books - that is exactly how I feel! I rarely re-read books, but hers are just so beautifully written that I love them every time!

      Delete
  7. Yes... I've been reading Jane Austen since I was a teenager and she's the author I run to when I need solace. Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion are my favourites, closely followed by Emma. I hope you find as you continue with her books that the cadences and pacing will seem more normal - best of luck with the rest. And huge respect for sticking with it:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m glad you kept going. I think Brit Lit is an acquired taste. I read a ton of it in college, and it does get easier with practice. Well, sometimes it gets easier. Some Brit Lit is completely insufferable.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate people dressed in fine clothing but uncomfortable or living in houses that are too stuffy and old fashion anything, so, I won't dare read Jane Austen right now. I'm not ready. I've been thinking about Jane Eyre though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Confession time: I've never read Jane Austen! I know, crazy right? I do have a few of her books on my Classics list to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry but Jane is not for me. I don't want to work that hard in my reading life. I keep bouncing off her prose. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I appreciate Jane's influence on literature but I find her books tough going. If / when I have to read them, I go with audiobooks. My weekly update

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love her books so much! My best advice is not to fight the language. Slow down and absorb the words and enjoy the way Jane turns a phrase!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Austen from the time I started reading her at 16!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never been able to finish a Jane Austin novel. To be fair, the last time I tried was over ten years ago, but the endless prattle and balls and tea-parties... Ugh.
    I was genuinely stumped as to why I couldn't read the books. I LOVE the tv adaptations and the movies but I just couldn't read them.
    I'm often tempted to try again but the memory of the first time I tried to read Pride and Prejudice makes me run away and pick up something else!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.