Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Easy Cake Cookbook: 75 Sinfully Simple Recipes for Bake-and-Eat Cakes by Miranda Couse


The Easy Cake Cookbook arrived in my mailbox a few days ago. Perfect timing. I always need to make a cake quickly. Now I can.



Now, which cake to make? It's satsuma season around here, and I'd just had my friend and my dad bring me a bag of these lovelies. So maybe an orange cake?



Orange Coffee Cake it is then. A simple cake with a topping. Yum. Sounds good. Here's the recipe:

ORANGE COFFEE CAKE
From Easy Cake Cookbook by Miranda Couse

FOR THE CRUMB TOPPING:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1/4 teaspoon salt

FOR THE CAKE:

1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup pulp-free orange juice

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with nonstick baking spray. Set aside.

2. For the topping, in a medium bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the flour, butter, sugars, orange zest, and salt together until the butter is well incorporated and the topping looks like wet sand. Set aside.

3. For the cake, in a large bowl, using the mixer on medium speed, beat the melted butter, sugar, sour cream, orange zest, and vanilla together until well combined. Add the eggs and beat until worked into the batter. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.

4. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients and orange juice to the large bowl in multiple additions, alternating back and forth between the two, starting and ending with the flour mixture and beating on medium speed. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and stir in any unmixed bits of batter with a spatula.

5. Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan with a spatula. Sprinkle the crumb topping on top of the batter, evenly distributing it. Baking until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 44 to 50 minutes.

6. Let the cake cool completely before serving. Cut into three strips lengthwise, then four strips widthwise, for 12 servings.




And it was easy. Easy-peasy. 



Hmmm, I can hear you saying. I don't see anything about icing in the recipe. What's going on here?

Well, it was easy, but for some reason I missed the part about using a 9-by-13-inch baking pan, and I tried to pour the batter (it fit, but barely) into a round cake pan, and then put the topping over it. I was worried (rightly, it turns out) when I put the cake pan into the oven about what was going to happen when the topping began to melt in the heat inside. (I am sure you have a picture in your mind.)

About ten minutes in, I checked on things and saw, to my horror, that the cake was dripping over the edges of the pan. Eek. I was ranting about the cookbook and how the author needed to test her recipes until I took a closer look at the recipe and realized my mistake. I took the whole mess outside and poured everything, cake and topping, into a baking pan, and mixed it all together. It actually baked well though it was the devil to get out of the pan. I decided to save the whole thing by using a cookie cutter to cut out circles from the cake and covering everything in a buttercream icing.



For more wordless photos, go to Wordless Wednesday.

Saturday Snapshot is hosted by A Web of Stories. To participate in Saturday Snapshot: post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken and then leave a direct link to your post in the Mister Linky at A Web of Stories.

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

18 comments:

  1. At least you were able to save the cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't bear to take a picture of it as it came out of the oven.

      Delete
  2. Now they looks like yummy cupcakes. Oh well, a cake is a cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, trust me, these small cupcakes look much better than the cake.

      Delete
  3. They look super delicious to me, anyway! I'm pretty sure they tasted even better. :)

    Happy Wednesday and thank you for joining us this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A save is a save. Good for you. Sometimes recipes aren't as easy as they appear to be.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds absolutely delicious ๐Ÿ™‹‍♀️๐ŸŽ‚

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is amazing resourcefulness and creativity on the fly! I would love an orange cake. I bought some oranges last week thinking I might use the zest in baking... something. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had to chuckle about your almost disaster with the cake. You are clearly resourceful though and it all turned out fine. The cake sounds nice but because its in American measures I know I'd have a hard time with it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for a good save. The cake does sound good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A perfect rescue! Love anything orange.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's quite a story! In the end, it seems like a good thing that you can probably trust the cookbook for future reference, though.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny story, and your cupcakes look so pretty! I am always missing little things in the recipe that turn out to be rather important.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.