Saturday, November 9, 2019

Fancy Peach Pie, Buttermilk Graffiti, a Syrup Festival, and Happy Birthday to Me


October was crazy-busy and November is starting out the same way. I only managed to finish three books last week. The links take you to my reviews.




    

I'm right in the middle of a bunch of nonfiction right now.


The Art of Noticing: 131 Ways to Spark Creativity, Find Inspiration, and Discover Joy in the Everyday by Rob Walker
How Your Story Sets You Free by Heather Box and Julian Mocine-McQueen
Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster by Svetlana Alexievich
Buttermilk Graffiti: A Chef's Journey to Discover America's Melting Pot Culture by Edward Lee







Last week, it was my birthday. What a wonderful birthday I had! Text messages. Emails. Visits. Packages in the mail. Phone calls---my 92-year-old dad sang happy birthday on the phone. My son in Chicago and his wife sent some fabulous books, and my son here in Texas and his wife got me a Paris-ish book bag. My amazing sister made me dinner---beef bourguignon (oh my!), homemade bread, with champagne...that has to be the best meal of my life. And I got some cool Facebook happy-birthdays, including the one above from one of my author friends, Jerry Craft. 





I was pretty happy with this first attempt at a fancy crust on my peach pie this week. I think I'll do more in preparation for Thanksgiving.




And where am I this weekend? Why, I'm at the 31st Heritage Syrup Festival in Henderson, Texas. We are talking mule-powered, old-time syrup making with folk artists, food, bands, and antique tractors. They are promising cloggers and square dancers, antique car exhibits, and musical entertainment, along with hayride shuttles around the festival. 







What was your week like?

Read any good books? Tell us about them.

What other bookish things did you do? 

What else is going on in your life?

We'd love to have you to link up here and/or at the Sunday Salon page on Facebook each weekend (Saturday-Sunday-Monday) and let us know what you have been doing. I hope you will visit other blogs and join in the conversations going on there. 

Other places where you may like to link up are below. Click on the picture to visit the site.


My linkup for Sunday Salon is below. 

40 comments:

  1. Only three books, I'm lucky if I get though one. Reading through some of my wifes romance books at the moment. Happy Birthday for last week hope you hade a wonderful one

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had such a wonderful birthday! That pie looks terrific! I'll be interested to see what you think of Buttermilk Graffiti.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a happy birthday! That peach pie looks amazing. Yes, it's time to think about Thanksgiving food. We're hosting this year and we shall see how many we'll be expecting. Know already that our daughter and son-in-law won't be able to attend. Nurses have to work usually two out of the big three holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's). Think we'll get her for Christmas this time. All those babies - they do insist on coming whatever day of the year it is. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you, hosting. It's so wonderful to get together, no matter when or where.

      Delete
  4. Happy belated Birthday! I have always been a bit fascinated by Chernobyl since I was living in Vienna when it happened and it really impacted our lives, especially as we traveled into eastern bloc countries that were even closer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a wonderful birthday, especially that Beef Bourguignon!!Here's many more years of celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday!!! It sounds like it was wonderful. And the syrup festival sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 🥳Happy Birthday To you 🎉 I’m glad you had such a wonderful celebration, and it seems to be continuing at the Syrup Festival.
    You’ve had a strong start to NonFicNov

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Nonfiction November. I wish it wasn't such a busy time, though.

      Delete
  8. That looks like a good stack of nonfiction.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday!! That peach pie looks delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! Happy Birthday. I'm so glad you're dad is still around. I bet you cherish him everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds like a fabulous birthday. and the syrup festival. never heard of it but my sweet tooth is curious. lol
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday! It sound like you celebrated it in a lovely way!
    Also, your pie looks great! I hope you'll enjoy your new books!

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, that peach pie looks fabulous! Food sounds good to me, but I'm slowly adding things, now that my surgery is behind me. All went well; a little setback on the second day, and my legs feel wobbly. LOL.

    Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you had a great birthday! Happy Birthday! Hope this week is a good one. Looks like you have many interesting books to read. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you had a great birthday! I read Buttermilk Graffiti, it was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy belated birthday, Deb. It sounds like you had a great one and hope you had a wonderful weekend at the Syrup Festival. I had to look up this syrup festival because when we say "syrup" here in Pennsylvania, we mean maple syrup, but now I'm seeing that yours is ribbon cane syrup? To be honest, I never heard of this...but I am not opposed to it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's made from sugar cane. My dad grew up in northern Louisiana, and it's what he had as a child.

      Delete
  17. Happy belated birthday. The syrup festival sounds fun. In August our town has a zucchini festival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a mosquito festival here in the summer. Now who wants to come to that?!

      Delete
  18. Happy belated Birthday, Deb! How sweet that your dad called and sang to you. :) (And how lucky to still have your dad with you. I miss my dad so much.) The dinner your sister made sounds fabulous. Yum! That pie crust is a work of art! My goodness, you certainly have a talent.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like you had a great week! Happy birthday! What a beautiful pie. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How lovely that your dad can still sing you Happy Birthday. That has to be so very special.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your books look very promising, I am looking at them and thinking - I'd like to read that. Your birthday sounds wonderful, love the idea of your Dad singing to you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an interesting week! Belated BD wishes for a fantabulous year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am a new blog reader, I see your pie and understand that your books are not your only talent.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.