Monday, November 25, 2019

Nonfiction November: 100+ Nonfiction Books I Want to Read



Nonfiction November is hosted this year by Julie (JulzReads), Sarah (Sarah’s Book Shelves), Katie (Doing Dewey), Rennie (What’s Nonfiction) — is a month-long celebration of everything nonfiction. Each week, they’ll be a different prompt and a different host looking at different ideas about reading and loving nonfiction.

Week 5 (Nov. 26 to Nov. 30)
New to my TBR (Hosted by Rennie at What’s Nonfiction?)
It’s been a month full of amazing nonfiction books! Which ones have made it onto your TBR? Be sure to link back to the original blogger who posted about that book!



What nonfiction have I added this month to my TBR?
Are you ready for this ridiculously long list of books I'm determined to track down and read? To simplify things, I'm sorting the nonfiction by themes. Thank you for sharing your favorites with me this month! 




Art/Creativity/Poetry

The Point of Poetry: How Poetry Can Teach Us About the Things in Life Which Really Matter by Joe Nutt, recommended by Rather Too Fond of Books.

The Pursuit of Art: Travels, Encounters, Revelations by Martin Gayford, recommended by Adventures in Reading, Running, and Working from Home.


Books-about-Books

Books That Saved My Life: Reading For Wisdom, Solace and Pleasure by Michael McGirr, recommended by Brona's Books.

Packing My Library: An Elegy and Ten Digressions by Alberto Manguel, recommended by Words and Peace.




Food

Buttermilk Graffiti: A Chef's Journey to Discover America's New Melting-Pot Cuisine by Edward Lee, recommended by Based on a True Story


Eight Flavors: The Untold Stories of American Cuisine by Sarah Lohman, recommended by What's Nonfiction.

Kitchen Yarns: Notes on Life, Love, and Food by Ann Hood, recommended by Unruly Reader and Gulfside Musing.

More Home Cooking: A Writer Returns to the Kitchen by Laurie Colwin, recommended by What's Nonfiction?

A Square Meal: A Culinary History of the Great Depression by Jane Ziegelman, recommended by Gulfside Musing.




History

Bury the Chains: Prophets and Rebels in the Fight to Free an Empire's Slaves by Adam Hochschild, recommended by Just One More Page.

The Children's Blizzard by David Laskin, recommended by Still Life, with Cracker Crumbs.

Dancing Bears: True Stories of People Nostalgic for Life Under Tyranny 
by Witold Szablowski, recommended by What's Nonfiction.


Escape from Paris: A True Story of Love and Resistance in Wartime France by Stephen Harding, recommended by JulzReads.

Expeditions Unpacked: What the Great Explorers Took Into the Unknown by Ed Stafford, recommended by JulzReads.

Forty Autumns: A Family’s Story of Courage and Survival on Both Sides of the Berlin Wall by Nina Willner, recommended by JulzReads and Novel Visits.

The Hidden Places of World War II: The Extraordinary Sites Where History Was Made During the War That Saved Civilization
 by Jerome M. O’Connor, recommended by JulzReads.


The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11 by Garrett M. Graff, recommended by Sarah's BookshelvesTina SaysTBR, Etc., and Novel Visits.

Les Parisiennes: How the Women of Paris Lived, Loved, and Died Under Nazi Occupation 
by Anne Sebba, recommended by The Paperback Princess.


Secondhand Time: The Last of the Soviets by Svetlana Alexievich, recommended by Maphead's Book Blog.

Singled Out: How Two Million Women Survived Without Men After the First World War by Victoria Nicholson, recommended by Books Please.

When Paris Went Dark: The City of Light Under German Occupation, 1940-1944 by Ronald Rossbottom, recommended by TBR, Etc.





Memoir/Biography

Born a Crime by Trevor Noah, recommended by Bookishly BoisterousThe Lowrey Library, and Read All the Things.

Educated by Tara Westover, recommended by The Cozy Reading NookOrange County ReadersThe Lowrey Library, and An Adventure in Reading.

I Miss You When I Blink: Essays by Mary Laura Philpott, recommended by Mind JoggleTina Says, Reading Ladies' Book Club, and Sarah's Bookshelves.



Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love by Dani Shapiro, recommended by Gulfside Musing and Reading Ladies' Book Club,

Kick: The True Story of JFK's Sister and the Heir to Chatsworth by Paula Byrne, recommended by The Paperback Princess.

Tell Me More by Kelly Corrigan, recommended by Sincerely Stacie.

Wine Girl: The Obstacles, Humiliations, and Triumphs of America's Youngest Sommelier by Victoria James, recommended by TBR, Etc.



Miscellaneous

Everywhere I Look by Helen Garner, recommended by NancyElin.

Why You Should Read Children's Books, Even Though You Are So Old and Wise by Katherine Rundell, recommended by Reading With Jade.




Science/Nature
21st Century Yokel by Tom Cox, recommended by Cracker Crumb Life.

Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are? by Franz de Waal, recommended by Maphead's Book Blog.

Around the World in 80 Trees by Jonathan Drori, recommended by Superfluous Reading.

The Armchair Birder: Discovering the Secret Lives of Familiar Birds 
by John Yow, recommended by Words and Peace.


City of Trees by Sophie Cunningham, recommended by Brona's Books.


Gathering Moss by Robin Wall Kimmerer, recommended by An Adventure in Reading.

Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal by Mary Roach, recommended by An Adventure in Reading.

The Hidden World of the Fox by Adele Brand, recommended by Book Dilettante.


How to Raise a Wild Child: The Art and Science of Falling in Love with Nature by Scott D. Sampson, recommended by Still Life With Cracker Crumbs.

Life List: A Woman's Quest for the World's Most Amazing Birds by Olivia Gentile, recommended by Words and Peace.

Pleased to Meet Me: Genes, Germs, and the Curious Forces that Make Us Who We Are by Bill Sullivan, recommended by JulzReads and What's Nonfiction?

Rewild Yourself: 23 Spells for Making Hidden Things Visible by Simon Barnes, recommended by Still Life With Cracker Crumbs.

Rewild Yourself: Becoming Nature by Rachel Corby, recommended by Still Life With Cracker Crumbs.

The Source: The Secrets of the Universe, the Science of the Brain by Tara Swart, recommended by Orange County Readers.

Superlative: The Biology of Extremes by Matthew D. LaPlante, recommended by Superfluous Reading.

Tamed: Ten Species That Changed Our World by Alice Roberts, recommended by Kate Vane.

Twelve Patients: Life and Death in Bellevue Hospital
 by Eric Mannheimer, recommended by Hopewell's Public Library of Life.

Vitamin N: 500 Ways to Enrich the Health and Happiness of Your Family and Your Community by Richard Louv, recommended by Still Life With Cracker Crumbs.

Where the Hornbeam Grows: A Journey in Search of a Garden by Beth Lynch, recommended by What Cathy Read Next.

The Wild Remedy: How Nature Mends Us - A Diary by Emma Mitchell, recommended by Reading With Jade.

The World of the Salt Marsh: Appreciating and Protecting the Tidal Marshes of the Southeastern Atlantic Coast by Charles Seabrook, recommended by The Cozy Reading Nook.

Why Birds Sing: A Journey into the Mystery of Bird Song by David Rothenberg, recommended by Words and Peace.





Self-Help/Happiness/Health

The Art of Gathering: How We Meet and Why It Matters by Priya Parker, recommended by Unruly Reader.

Any Ordinary Day: Blindsides, Resilience, and What Happens After the Worst Day of Your Life by Leigh Sales, recommended by Brona's Books.

Bird Therapy by Joe Harkness, recommended by Rather Too Fond of Books.

Create Calm by Kate James, recommended by Brona's Books.

The Dark Side of the Mind: True Stories from My Life as a Forensic Psychologist by Kerry Daynes, recommended by Rather Too Fond of Books.

The Examined Life: How We Lose and Find Ourselves by Stephen Grosz, recommended by Books Are My Favourite and Best.

The Happiness Curve: Why Life Gets Better After 50 by Jonathan Rauch, recommended by Howling Frog Books.

Home Sweet Maison: The French Art of Making a Home by Danielle Postel-Vinay, recommended by Unruly Reader.

How to Eat Better: Simple Science to Supercharge Your Nutrition by James Wong, recommended by louloureads.

Love's Executioner and Other Tales of Psychotherapy by Irvin Yalom, recommended by Books Are My Favourite and Best.

Notes on a Nervous Planet by Matt Haig, recommended by Beverley A Baird.

Small Wrongs: How We Really Say Sorry in Love, Life, and Law by Kate Rossmanith, recommended by Books Are My Favourite and Best.

The Talking Cure: Normal People, Their Hidden Struggles, and the Life-Changing Power of Therapy by Gillian Straker and Jacqui Winship, recommended by Books Are My Favourite and Best.

Welcoming the Unwelcomed by Pema Chödrön, recommended by Lovely Bookshelf 




Simplicity

Bohemian Living: Creative Homes Around the World by Robyn Lea, recommended by Brona's Books.

Chasing Slow: The Courage to Journey Off the Beaten Path by Erin Loechner, recommended by Monica Baker.

Inconspicuous Consumption: The Environmental Impact You Don't Know You Have by Tatiana Schlossberg, recommended by Reading the End.

Mini-Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre by Brett L. Markham, recommended by Based on a True Story



Social Issues

Bunk: The Rise of Hoaxes, Humbug, Plagiarists, Phonies, Post-Facts, and Fake News by Kevin Young, recommended by Plucked From the Stacks.

Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure by Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt, recommended by NancyElin.

Dopesick: Dealers, Doctors, and the Drug Company that Addicted America by Beth Macy, recommended by BermudaOnion's Weblog.

Factfulness: Ten Reasons Why We're Wrong About the World---And Why Things Are Better Than You Think by Hans Rosling, recommended by Silver Button Books.

Factory Girls: From Village to City in a Changing China by Leslie T. Chung, recommended by Hopewell's Public Library of Life.

Punishment Without Crime: How Our Massive Misdemeanor System Traps the Innocent and Makes America More Unequal
 by Alexandra Natapoff, recommended by Reading the End.


Teacher: One Woman's Struggle to Keep the Heart in Teaching by Gabbie Stroud, recommended by NancyElin.

The Years That Matter Most: How College Makes Us or Breaks Us by Paul Tough, recommended by Tina Says.


Spirituality/Philosophy

Church of the Small Things: The Million Little Pieces That Make Up a Life by Melanie Shankle, recommended by The Cozy Reading Nook.

Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress, recommended by Lisa Notes.

Inspired: Slaying Giants, Walking on Water, and Loving the Bible Again by Rachel Held Evans, recommended by The Lowrey Library

My Bright Abyss: A Spiritual Meditation by Christian Wiman, recommended by Words and Peace.

A Prayer Journal by Flannery O'Connor, recommended by The Lowrey Library

The Problem of God: Answering a Skeptic's Challenges to Christianity by Mark Clark, recommended by Never Enough Novels.


Searching For Sunday: Loving, Leaving, and Finding the Church by Rachel Held Evans, recommended by The Bookworm Chronicles


The Universal Christ: How a Forgotten Reality Can Change Everything We See, Hope For, and Believe by Richard Rohr, recommended by Monica Baker.


Travel

Arctic Dreams by Barry Lopez, recommended by Reading With Jade.

Around the World in 80 Trains: A 45,000 Mile Adventure by Monisha Rajesh, recommended by Reading With Jade.

Bitter Lemons of Cyprus by Lawrence Durrell, recommended by Books Please.

Dispatches from Pluto: Lost and Found on the Mississippi Delta by Richard Grant, recommended by Adventures in Reading, Running, and Working from Home.

In Foreign Fields: How Not to Move to France by Susie Kelly, recommended by Superfluous Reading.

In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin, recommended by For Book Lovers and Random People.

Letters from Iceland by W. H. Auden and Louis MacNeice, recommended by Adventures in Reading, Running, and Working from Home.

Library of Ice: Readings from a Cold Climate by Nancy Campbell, recommended by Adventures in Reading, Running, and Working from Home.

Names for the Sea: Strangers in Iceland by Sarah Moss, recommended by Rather Too Fond of Books.

The Most Spectacular Restaurant in the World: Twin Towers, Windows on the World, and the Rebirth of New York by Tom Roston, recommended by Musings of a Literary Wanderer

The Salt Path: A Memoir by Raynor Winn, recommended by For Book Lovers and Random People.

Travels on Horseback Through Eastern Turkey by Christina Dodwell, recommended by Adventures in Reading, Running, and Working from Home.

Underland: A Deep Time Journey by Robert MacFarlane, recommended by Doing Dewey.

Vacationland: True Stories from Painful Beaches by John Hodgman, recommended by What's Nonfiction.



What did you add to your TBR this month?
Did I miss any good titles? Is that even possible?!


23 comments:

  1. Nice list of books - I want to read quite a few of them myself. Dopesick made a lasting impression on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been shying away from difficult reads, but I think Dopesick is a must-read.

      Delete
  2. That is QUITE a list! Glad to see I was able to provide a few recs. Thanks for participating! Happy Thanksgiving...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved participating in Nonfiction November. Thank you for hosting.

      Delete
  3. wow, you are really planning to read all these?? I'm glad I helped you with some bird books.
    I was drastic this year, and added only 9: https://wordsandpeace.com/2019/11/25/nonfiction-november-2019-new-on-my-tbr/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoy these! I loved Born A Crime. Educated is sitting on my TBR shelf right now. I probably won’t get to it for Nonfiction November because I’m a slow reader.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to get some good nonfiction reading in in the last days of the month.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the shout-out. I'm new to this so didn't know I needed to say where I found the books--I'll put it in my reviews. SUPERB list--I will be coming back to add books to my tbr from it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a great list! The Most Spectacular Restaurant in the World was a fantastic read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every year I forget!
    I spend the first 4 weeks busily adding lots of new & exciting books to my goodreads wishlist, but - each year - I forget to note who recommended them to me. This year I even had my draft posts prepared ahead of time, with the idea of adding the links as I found them into week 5....and I still forgot!
    And now it's too hard to work it all out.

    So well done, Deb for being so organised and efficient. And I hope you enjoy your Aussie selections from me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel a little proud of organizing this so well. Thank you so much for all the great suggestions.

      Delete
  8. Wow that's a lot of books (too much pressure for me!) and you have some really good ones on your list. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to have a lot of choices. I know that I won't be able to find them all and the ones I find I may not like them.

      Delete
  9. Wow! Just wow! What a great, thorough list. If anyone can get through it, it's you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly can't say that I don't know what to read....

      Delete
  10. This is awesome! I am so happy that I could recommend so many books that interested you. :) We must have similar tastes because you are on my list quite a few times too. LOL. And I left here today with a new title as well, The Hidden World of the Fox. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your lists! I see a few of my favorites and think you will really enjoy them. Kitchen Yarns is wonderful. I need to buy a copy for my keeper shelf. Tell Me More was my all-time favorite read last year! I love everything by Kelly Corrigan, including all her videos on YouTube.

    I hope you enjoy Forty Autumns. I read it for book club and thought it was only just ok. I hear it's very good on audio. Wish I had gone that route...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope to read Kitchen Yarns soon. I'll also look for Tell Me More. Maybe I can try to find Forty Autumns on audio.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel less silly about my own extensive list of TBR additions now :)

    Please stop by to see my New to My TBR + Wrap Up

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.