Thursday, May 28, 2020

Summer Reading Goals: #bookaday and #bigbooksummer and #20booksofsummer20



Having a goal, having a focus centers me, especially during difficult times. You may be different, and that's perfectly okay. But if you'd like some focus for your reading life during this summer, I encourage you to join me in a couple of summer reading challenges. 

#bookaday online

Every summer for over ten years, the Book Whisperer, Donalyn Miller, has hosted the #bookaday challenge. It's a public commitment to read or share a book each day over the long summer break. Of course, this summer it's a little different. As Miller writes, "If you asked me three months ago what I would do if the world was canceled and I was forced to stay at home, I would have said, 'Read a ton of books!' I am the Book Whisperer, after all. Currently, I am reading too many newspapers and not enough happy endings. My vast experience reading dystopias isn’t helping me right now because this is how they all start."

What are the guidelines for #bookaday?

  • You set your own start and end dates.
  • Read one book per day. This is an average, so if you take a week to read Tomi Adeyemi’s Children of Virtue and Vengeance or Libba Bray’s The King of Crows (both fabulous on audio), you can balance it out with some picture books or early readers.
  • Any book in any format qualifies: picture books, nonfiction, professional books, audio books, graphic novels, poetry anthologies, or fiction—children, young adult, or adult titles.
  • Keep a list of the books you read and share them often via a social networking sites like Goodreads, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. Use the #bookaday hashtag to find other participants and share your recommendations. Titles or covers will do.
  • If you don’t feel like reading a book a day is the right reading goal for you, share a book every day—read with a child or family member, give away a book to someone who needs it, or buy a book from an independent bookstore if you can.
To find out more, check out this post at The Nerdy Book Club.

Think trying to read a book a day is a crazy idea? Maggie Galehouse of the Houston Chronicle offers tips here.




Sue Jackson of Book By Book is asking us to go big this summer with her Big Book Summer Reading Challenge. Sue has offered this challenge for the last nine years. The challenge culminates in a Big Book Giveaway. 

What are the rules for the Big Book Summer Reading Challenge?

  • Anything 400 pages or more qualifies as a big book.
  • The challenge will run from Memorial Day weekend (starting May 22 this year) through Labor Day weekend (Labor Day is September 7 this year).
  • Choose one or two or however many big books you want as your goal. Wait, did you get that?  You only need to read 1 book with 400+ pages this summer to participate! (though you are welcome to read more, if you want).
  • Sign up on the first links list at Book by Book so others can visit.
  • If you have a blog, write a post to kick things off: you can list the exact big books you plan to read or just publish your intent to participate, but be sure to include the Big Book Summer Challenge pic above, with a link back to Book by Book. It's fine to kick-off your Big Book Summer as part of another post.
  • Write a post to wrap up at the end, listing the big books you read during the summer.
  • You can write progress posts if you want to and/or reviews of the big books you've read ... but you don't have to! There is a separate links list below for big book reviews, progress update posts, and wrap-up posts.
To sign up for the challenge, add your link here.


So, what am I hoping to read this summer? I can easily read a book a day anyway; so far, by day 147 of 2020, I have read 183 books. But I will attempt to post something about a book each day of this summer to satisfy the #bookaday guidelines.

As for the #bigbooksummer challenge, I have eleven books on my Classics Club list that are 400 pages or more:


Collected Stories of Katherine Anne PorterPorter, Katherine Anne1965Fiction512 pages
Decameron, TheBoccaccio, Giovanni1353Short stories554 pages
FSG Book of Twentieth-Century Latin American PoetryStavans, Ilan, ed.2011Poetry726 pages
Mary BartonGaskell, Elizabeth1848Novel464 pages
Of Human BondageMaugham, W. Somerset1915Novel658 pages
Selected Stories of O. HenryHenry, O.1922Short stories544 pages
Tin Drum, TheGrass, Gunter1959Novel576 pages
Tom Brown's SchooldaysHughes, Thomas1857Children's420 pages
War and PeaceTolstoy, Leo1869Fiction1229 pages
Wives and DaughtersGaskell, Elizabeth1864Fiction583 pages








How about one more? Why not?

Cathy at 746 Books offers the 20 Books of Summer Challenge for 2020. Look how easy this is:


One summer.
Three months.
93 Days.
20 books.

Are you in?
Post a sign up list and be sure to share your progress with #20booksofsummer20.

And if twenty books sounds too daunting, she offers fifteen and ten book challenges also.

I shall plan to serendipitously read this summer from the stacks under my bed and from whatever comes in at my library.



14 comments:

  1. I'm very tempted by the Big Book Summer challenge. I don't read quite as quickly as you but I've been reading a few chunky books lately and have found them well worth the effort. I'll think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These additional summer reading challenges are so tempting! But no, I must not get carried away...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Big Book Summer Challenge is enticing. I'm already signed up to the 20 Books of Summer Challenge and attempting a big book would probably throw me completely off course, so best left for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Book a Day Summer Challenge looks interesting. i already pretty much read or listen to a book a day though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a busy summer! Thanks for stopping by:)

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - there’s no way I could read that fast - I am impressed! Definitely up for the Big Book Challenge though - it’s going to be fun :).

    Elinor

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your challenges, Deb! I think it seems that many of us who were struggling with reading issues the last couple of months seem to be coming out on the other side. I say to read what works for you. No 'rules' this year, no 'musts', just whatever floats your boat. And a good challenge might be the ticket for many. Let's all 'read for fun' - whatever that looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to read a book a day but it's just not happening right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loftly goals for your summer reading! Those are some major chunksters you've got lined up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved The Painted Veil but haven't read any other W Somerset Maugham yet - hope you enjoy Of Human Bondage!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the sound of the #bookaday challenge. I'd love to do it so let's see if I can combine that with the challenge I'm already planning to do. I don't manage one book a day but can if I add in picture or chapter books. So let's see - planning for this is exciting. :-)

    Good luck to you! Hope you achieve some great goals!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such ambitions! I'm nowhere near having enough time to read a book a day--maybe someday!, but it sounds fun! I didn't remember Mary Barton as being that long, which I suppose speaks to how much I enjoyed it. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome to the 2020 #BigBookSummer Challenge, Deb!! So glad you are joining the fun!

    Wow, this is quite a reading plan for summer! I'm glad you explained how you are going top manage A Book a Day AND Big Book Summer! ha ha That's a great list of classics you have lined up - I always try to fit in 1 or 2 classic among my Big Books also.

    Sounds like an amazing bookish summer you have planned - enjoy!

    Sue

    2020 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've read some from your big books list, I loved Of Human Bondage and Wives & Daughters -- both surprisingly fast reads. I also have the KAP stories on my list. I'm currently reading Maugham's short stories and I'm trying to finish one every day. Hopefully I'll get to KAP when I finish them. Good luck with your big book list!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.