Tuesday, May 5, 2020

When You Feel Bad: Simple Superfood Soups


When you are sick, you are willing to try anything to get better.

Simple Superfood Soups: 75 Nourishing Recipes for a Healthier You by Pamela Ellgen arrived as I became ill with an awful cough (Coronavirus? We shall never know, I guess.) 

Superfoods sounds intriguing. What are superfoods? Author Pamela Ellgen says, "Nearly every plant-based, whole food is a superfood. A superfood is simply a food that, when eaten in normal quantities, delivers documented health benefits." Ellgen has a simple, yet clear explanation: "Think about it this way---if it comes from a plant, it's probably a superfood. If it was made in a plant, it's probably not."

So let's try some superfood soups, shall we?


I have a garden, a fabulous garden, so I looked for a recipe that would include some of my most abundant vegetables there. White Bean and Kale Soup looked perfect. It begins with Superfood Vegetable Broth. This broth is made by using "all the vegetable scraps you might have tossed into your compost bin." I love the freedom the author offers in this recipe: "The recipe calls for specific ingredients, but if you're missing one or two, swap them for what you have that has a similar flavor profile. Or simply leave it out."

Here's the recipe for this broth:

SUPERFOOD VEGETABLE BROTH

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 or 3 large garlic cloves, smashed
1 or 2 tomato cores
1 or 2 bell pepper cores
Handful mushroom stems
Handful fresh herb stems, such as thyme and parsley
4 quarts water
1 bunch kale stems, chopped
1 broccoli stem, chopped
1 to 2 teaspoons sea salt

1. In a large pot over high heat, combine the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, tomato, bell pepper, mushroom stems, herb stems, and water. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low to keep the water at a gentle simmer for 20 minutes.

2. Add the kale and broccoli stems and cook for 15 minutes more.

3. Season with salt until the broth tastes good to you.

4. Strain the broth through a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl. Discard or compost the vegetables.

5. Use the broth or chill and refrigerate in a covered container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.

Easy, right? Now for the White Bean and Kale Soup.

WHITE BEAN AND KALE SOUP

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 leek, cleaned well and thinly sliced
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2 celery stalk, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
Pinch red pepper 
1 bunch kale, stems finely chopped, leaves thinly sliced
2 quarts Superfood Vegetable Broth
1 (15-ounce) can white beans, drained, but not rinsed
Fresh ground black pepper
Sea salt

1. In a large pot over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the leek, onion, celery, and a generous pinch of salt. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are very tender.

2. Add the garlic, thyme, and red pepper. Cook for 1 minute.

3. Stir in the kale stems and vegetable broth. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.

4. Add the kale leaves and white beans. Season with pepper. Simmer the soup for 20 minutes, until the kale is very soft. Serve hot.



I substituted for items I did not have (no celery, no leeks) and added carrots and potatoes.



For more wordless photos, go to Wordless Wednesday.

Saturday Snapshot is hosted by A Web of Stories. To participate in Saturday Snapshot: post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken and then leave a direct link to your post in the Mister Linky at A Web of Stories.

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

20 comments:

  1. My wife just makes plane wholesome Vegetable soup and we love it. Not ventured into anything else. Guess the book and author in my blog today

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get yourself tested? You've not been well for quite a long time. Maybe it just feels like a long time. My sense of time is skewed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up this cough the last time I was with my family. At that time my daughter-in-law had it, and every person who attended that gathering has now come down with it, except my husband. My d-i-l's mother has had it a week longer than I have, and this week she was tested. Happily she came out negative.

      Delete
  3. I really like the sound of the white bean and kale soup - I've copied the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. makes me want to get younger. I am loosing my taste and this looks good. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love white bean and kale soup. I have a similar recipe, but I usually substitute the kale for spinach since my husband doesn't care for kale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have more than three quarter of those ingredients but I do agree soup is wholesome and satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never before knew the definition of superfood although I see it often. :-) The soup looks delicious! Thanks for visiting my blog yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’ve never understood what the term “superfood” adds to any discussion about nutrition. If it means vegetables, why not say vegetables? But the soup sounds very good, and a recipe where you can substitute what you have on hand is the only kind that makes sense in this topsy-turvy world we find ourselves in!

    be well...mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scary to get sick right now. I made soup last night, perfect for winter's last hurrah.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are just coming into soup weather now!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you need to come help me with my garden, please! We had nice tomatoes and peppers coming up but the blossoms started dropping off. So we have about 4 and six fruits to the plants but I don't expect any more. Maybe the temps dropping to under 60 lately are bothering the plants.

    Great soup! It's very important we all stay ht real estate by now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love soup! I may look for a copy of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The weather's cold enough for soup here. Cheers and stay well

    ReplyDelete
  14. All I have in the freezer is veg/beef. You've inspired me to make some summer soups!
    Rae

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the recipes Deb. I've copied them and will put them to good use soon.

    Have a great week ahead.
    Our new linky is live:

    https://natashamusing.com/2020/05/speeches-with-the-skies-and-trees-wordless-wednesday-wednesday-wisdom-natasha-musing/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you are feeling better Deb.

    Thanks for the healthy post. The recipe are so simple yet loaded with tonnes of nutrients. Have a happy week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.