Thursday, May 7, 2020

Mood-Boosting Books



I became fascinated with England's national program of mood-boosting books called Reading Well some time ago. The program draws on a huge body of research that reading has a strong positive effect on mood. 

I began 2020 with a goal of beginning the year by reading mood-boosting books. At that time, I wanted to fight the feeling of despair that had set in my mind and in the minds of many in my country brought on by our toxic political climate. 

I had no idea that things could get worse. Much worse.

In the absence of real breakthroughs in overcoming the current dangers of our world, perhaps the best we can hope for is to keep ourselves safe and healthy and to read some mood-boosting books. 

What are those mood-boosting books? What are the best books to read during difficult times?

James Mustich, author of the fabulous 1000 Books to Read Before You Die, notes that "...the hardest reading appetite to satisfy may be the desire for a book that will lift the spirits, not with the direct address that makes many inspirational volumes too earnest to do the trick, but with a lightness of heart that beats through every turn of plot or phrase." Here is his 7 Lighthearted Books to Buoy Your Spirits.

At Bookbub, Marisol Pereira compiles a list of 24 of the Best Feel-Good Books, According to Readers. 

Anne at Modern Mrs. Darcy lists 10 Comforting Classics to Read After You Run Out of Jane Austen Novels.

Lisbeth at The Content Reader has compiled her list of Easy Reading in Times of Distress. Lisbeth likes mysteries and thrillers.

Kimbofo at Reading Matters has created 8 Uplifting Reads.

The New York Times draws upon author recommendations to create its list: Celeste Ng, Ann Patchett, Min Jin Lee, and Others on the Books that Bring Them Comfort.

I'm making my own list of Mood-Boosting Books, as a Google Doc, and as a Goodreads list.

What books have you found helpful? Please share your ideas in the comments.

11 comments:

  1. I published a list of 8 uplifting books yesterday: https://readingmattersblog.com/2020/05/06/8-uplifting-reads/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read all the Virgin River series of books by Robyn Carr one winter when I was a bit down. I also have read books by Debbie Macomber - Blossom Street series and Cedar Cover series. I've read the Mrs. Pollifax series by Dorothy Gilman as well. And I love me a 'nice' murder. I know. I'm weird. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think your reading murder stories is any weirder than me reading stories about natural disasters.

      Delete
  3. Those are great links. Thanks! For me, rereading Fielding's Tom Jones always makes me happy, but maybe I'm just weird...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading a good book always helps me get in a better mood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to check out all of these. As a consequence for every time I check Facebook I need to spend 30 minutes with an uplifting book. It's the only way :)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.