Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Books You Recommended to Me that I Would Like to Recommend to You: The Pandemic Edition

I am not myself.

I don't know how you are doing but I suspect you are probably a lot like me. With all the insanity going on around us (I don't even need to name it all, do I?) there are some days I can barely function.

I've had some books recommended to me that have helped. Really helped. Helped a lot.

Here are some books you recommended to me during the pandemic that I would now like to recommend to you.


The Readers' Room by Antoine Laurain
The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
A Bad Birdwatcher's Companion by Simon Barnes
Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center
Wildlives: 50 Extraordinary Animals that Made History by Ben Lerwill
Weather by Jenny Offill
You Matter by Christian Robinson
Dreyer's English: An Utterly Correct Guide to Clarity and Style
Right Ho, Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse
The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson
I Think You're Wrong (But I'm Listening): A Guide to Grace-Filled Political Discussions
Sorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want to Come
I Am Every Good Thing by Derrick Barnes
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey


Thank you for your recommendation. Have you read any good books during the pandemic that you'd recommend? Please share them in the comments.





Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

24 comments:

  1. The Snow Child was excellent!

    My <a href="lydiaschoch.com/“>post</a>.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad books have given you some comfort during these crazy times. I've definitely found solace in reading as well. I've only read one of these books (THINGS YOU SAVE IN A FIRE, which I loved), so I'll have to take a closer look at some of these.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am feeling your vibe. It's a very strange time. I wake with anxiety. After coffee, I am angry. The mid-day is pretty good and then by the evening I am over it, only to start the cycle all over again the next day. I have added daily walks with the pup. She likes different people to walk her for different reasons. I am super slow and take my time enjoying the fresh air, so she matches my pace and we "linger" around the neighborhood. This fresh air thing has been helping. Reading outside on a cool morning is bliss. But only certain books hold my attention enough. Lately, thriller type reads. People gone missing, etc.

    My best advice. Get outside. I am always critically low on vitamin D but these days I am in the danger zone so whatever D I can get, I try to get into me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pale Rider by Laura Spinney was a strange book to read in the middle of the pandemic but it was just what I needed. I've also got Dreyer's English on my list. I hope to get to that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to hear books have helped you get through these weird times. I've been reading a lot myself, mostly fantasies and romances, as losing myself in another world for a while has also helped me this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wodehouse always lightens things up, doesn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Things You Save in a Fire is such a good recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read one of these books (Sorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want to Come) and I REALLY liked it. I'll have to check out some of the other books on your list!

    Here is my TTT list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the list! I don't have specific books to recommend, but I find myself reaching for YA and adult romance because they will be lighter and faster to read. Of course, the YA aren't necessarily lighter, but they are easier to digest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Midnight Library sounds wonderful. I just saw that one for the first time a couple weeks ago and now I want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, you've seen the books I would recommend. The Snow Child is on my TBR list. But the others also sound excellent.

    Thanks for visiting my TTT earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Splendid and the Vile. I keep forgetting to order that when I'm online. I need to read that book -- I've been looking forward to it for ages in paper.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Deb! I will definitely have a look at The Reader's room by Antoine Laurain as I've loved The President's Hat. Right ho Jeeves is EXCELLENT for a sour disposition, a condition I think a large number of people suffer from at the moment.

    The snow child is beautiful and a very memorable book.

    Thanks for your recommendations, share and shar alike!

    Hope your week is treating you kindly.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  14. i don't think i have read any of them, but for some reason the snow child jumped out at me. the title makes me curious
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also loved The Snow Child. But I haven't read any of the others. I didn't recommend any books to you recently, but I am wondering, have you read Mary Norris's Between You and Me? I found it so delightful, especially listening to her read it herself. I bought the print version so I could read it, too, and laugh over favorite parts; I haven't yet. She's brilliant and so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I read it in 2016. So much fun. I checked out Greek to Me by the same author yesterday from the library. I hope I enjoy it, too.

      Delete
  16. I hadn’t heard about this book- it looks like one I would likely enjoy. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved The Snow Child when I read it years ago. I also love Jeeves though I'mnot sure I've read the one you mention.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You just expanded my TBR list--again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved The Snow Child and Things You Save in a Fire. I have several of the others on my TBR list. Here are a few recs (I can't believe I had to go all the way back to March to find them!) from my pandemic reading:

    Oona Out of Order by Margarita Montimore
    Option B by Sheryl Sandberg
    Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson (great on audio)
    State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
    Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
    The Summer Guest by Justin Cronin
    When My Time Comes by Diane Rehm
    The Dutch House by Ann Patchett

    Take care, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Les! I am writing all of these down.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome, Deb! I didn't include links, but they're all reviewed on my blog and my Goodreads page. Enjoy!

      Delete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.