Friday, October 23, 2020

It's Time for Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-thon: Pandemic Version

 


PRE-READATHON PREP

It's time for Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-thon. Have you read-a-thon-ed with us in the past? Or is this your first time? Either way, I'm glad you are joining in. 

This is my 28th time to try to read for 24-hours straight. How many times have I read for all 24-hours? you may ask. One time. Exactly one time. Yes, I do love to read, but I also love my sleepy time.

It's about twelve hours before start time, and I'm prepping for the 'Thon. How do I prep? 

I've got a huge stack of Cybils-nominated books. Plus a few extras. And an audiobook. 

Do you think I have enough books?


List of Readathon readers. I like to stop by and say hi.

Here's the Books Read Database.



I've found some yummy snacks. 



BINGO board is ready. Get your own copy here.

I've got this post all set up for the 24-hours. I've banned interruptions amap.* 


HOUR 1-3

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Alvin, Texas.
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Old Rock (Is Not Boring)
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? Coffee. And oranges. 
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! Reader, blogger, (retired) librarian.
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? It's my 28th readathon. I plan to do exactly what I always do...read and blog. Good luck, everyone!


Books read? 

Your Name is a Song by Jamilah Thompkins-Bigelow

Like the Moon Loves the Sky by Hena Khan

Home Base: A Mother-Daughter Story by Nikki Tate

I Promise by LeBron James

How Long is Forever? by Kelly Carey

Every Little Letter by Deborah Underwood


Snacks eaten?

Coffee. Blueberry yogurt.

Blogs visited?

Bonnie's Books

True Book Addict

Jenn's Bookshelves

Falconer's Library

Joystory

I also knocked on some other doors, but no one was home. 

Still sleeping, I guess. 

I'll try again later.


HOUR 4-5

Poetry Writing Class on Zoom.



HOUR 6-7-8-9-10

Books read?

Superluminous by Ian De Haes

Tiara's Hat Parade by Kelly Starling Lyons

A Whale of a Mistake by Ioana Hobai

The Haunted Lake by P. J. Lynch

Feliz New Year, Ava Gabriela! by Alexandra Alessandri

Evie's Field Day: More Than One Way to Win by Claire Annette Noland

A Stopwatch from Grampa by Loretta Garbutt

Mars' First Friends: Come On Over, Rovers! by Susanna Leonard Hill and Elisa Paganelli

Down Under the Pier by Nell Cross Beckerman

Welcoming Elijah: A Passover Tale With a Tail by Leslea Newman

The Blunders: A Counting Catastrophe by Christina Soontornvat

Kid Coach by Rob Justus

Ronan the Librarian by Tara Luebbe and Becky Cattie

A Family for Louie by Alexandra Thompson

Love is Powerful by Heather Dean Brewer



Snacks eaten?

Yet more coffee.

Hot & Spicy Crackers

Hershey's bar

Blogs visited?

Silencing the Bell

Library Chicken

Bibliographic Manifestations

Amy Henchey

Fortified by Books


Mini-Challenges?

Spell Your Name With Books



HOURS 11-12-13

Books read?

Awestruck: How Embracing Wonder Can Make You Happier, Healthier, and More Connected (pp. 1-65)


Snacks eaten?

Pizza. It's supper time.


Blogs visited?

Once Upon a Chapter

astireadathon

Jenn and the Cats

Maggie Hemlock Books

Reading, Writing, and Random Musings


Mini-challenges?

Mid-Event Survey:
1. What are you reading right now? Awestruck.
2. How many books have you read so far? 21 books.
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? Picture This: How Pictures Work by Molly Bang.
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? Really, nothing but the sound of chainsaws trimming our trees.
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? It's been a quiet and peaceful day.



HOURS 14-15-16

Books read?

Awestruck: How Embracing Wonder Can Make You Happier, Healthier, and More Connected (finished)

Picture This: How Pictures Work by Molly Bang


Snacks eaten?

Water

Blogs visited?

Nancy's Bluebonnet Reading Highway

Carol's Notebook

The Unapologetic Bookworm

Richard's Readings

TAwrites



HOURS 17-18-19-20-21-22



HOURS 23-24

BINGO!

Closing Survey!

  1. What hour was most daunting? I always get sleepy after 9.
  2. Tell us ALLLLL the books you read! 23. See above.
  3. What was your favorite snack? That Hershey bar.
  4. What was your favorite facet of the day? Getting all those Cybils read.
  5. Wanna volunteer for our next event? Of course!


*As much as possible. I will be taking off two hours to attend my poetry writing class midday. And sleeping when I can't stay awake anymore.

14 comments:

  1. I've only done the readathon once 2009, I think and I took it (24 hours) quite literally. It was too much for me. Have fun Deb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to read for 24-hours but I usually fall asleep for my regular eight-hours.

      Delete
  2. It's been a long, long time since I participated in the readathon. I may try to join in tomorrow since we're camping and it's raining. I only have two books with me, but this will give me incentive to curl up and read the day away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In it for the long haul. I intend to read, but will have to do other things as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No WAY do you have enough books. lol

    Good luck! My reading did not get off to a stellar start, but I'm reading now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you are off and running. Have fun. See you at the finish line. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an inspiring stack of books to read! Hope you are having a great day so far and enjoying your peanut butter cups! (I love them but never think to buy them except during college basketball season when the constant ads during the games remind me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought them for...Halloween. Broke them open today early.

      Delete
  7. Well done! I got some Cybils reading in, and also cleared off some books that had been dragging me down. You made it really far and managed to keep track of a lot of books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As is typical with me, I had the best of intentions to read all day, but then union work and grocery shopping got in the way. That said, I did read most of and finish the book Atomic Love yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.