Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Super Long Book Titles

In the past, I have noted The Wackiest Titles of Books as well as Odd Book Titles.

Let's see what super long book titles I can find. 


The prize goes to nonfiction books. Apparently nonfiction authors can ramble.

A Beginner's Guide to Paradise: 9 Steps to Giving Up Everything So You Too Can: Move to a South Pacific Island, Wear a Loincloth, Read a Hundred Books, Diaper a Baby Monkey, Build a Bungalow, and Maybe, Just Maybe, Fall in Love

Don't Get Too Comfortable: The Indignities of Coach Class, The Torments of Low Thread Count, The Never-Ending Quest for Artisanal Olive Oil, and Other First World Problems

Why Do Men Have Nipples?: Hundreds of Questions You'd Only Ask a Doctor After Your Third Martini

A Working Stiff's Manifesto: A Memoir of Thirty Jobs I Quit, Nine That Fired Me, and Three I Can't Remember

Somewhere in America: Under the Radar With Chicken Warriors, Left-Wing Patriots, Angry Nudists, and Others

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values




We also see some authors of fiction who are not concise.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the Dog

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World




Especially old authors of fiction. Daniel Defoe was, apparently, one who loved long book titles.

The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver’d by Pyrate by Daniel Defoe

The Fortunes and Misfortunes of the Famous Moll Flanders Who was born in Newgate, and during a life of continu’d Variety for Threescore Years, besides her Childhood, was Twelve Years a Whore, five times a Wife (whereof once to her brother) Twelve Years a Thief, Eight Years a Transported Felon in Virginia, at last grew Rich, liv’d Honest and died a Penitent by Daniel Defoe




Children's book authors seem to have forgotten how short that space is under TITLE on your book log.

Captain Underpants and the Invasion of the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies from Outer Space and the Subsequent Assault of the Equally Evil Lunchroom Zombie Nerd

Hank the Cowdog: The Case of the One-Eyed Killer Stud Horse

My Mama Says There Aren't Any Zombies, Ghosts, Vampires, Creatures, Demons, Monsters, Fiends, Goblins, or Things


This might be the longest book title I found:

A Reviving Cordial for a Sin-Sick Despairing Soul, in the Time of Temptation, Being an Account of the Miraculous Preservation of the Author's Bodily Life from Many Imminent Dangers; and Of the Way in Which the Spirit of God Effected (sic) the Deliverance of His Soul from the State of Nature to the State of Grace to Which is Subjoined, the Only Refuge of a Troubled Soul in the Time of Tribulation and Affliction; or the Mystery of the Apple-Tree, Explained and Laid Open, in Two Discourses from Cant. ii. 3. 




Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

42 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are long! I don't have too many subtitle books. Even a few I had were only 5 words. I think most HP titles are 7-8 too.


    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is such a good read.

    My post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaah how awesome Deb! I agree that the non-fiction authors can ramble away. I've had 3 non fiction books on my list today and for me that is a lot!

    Yea for Three Men in a boat! I was wondering if someone else will use it. I've also used Guernsey and the 100-year old man. Great minds here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and do you have to tell the whole story in the title?

      Delete
    2. Save something for the book itself, nonfiction writers. LOL

      Delete
  4. Ooh A Beginner's Guide not only has a super long title, but the idea of it appeals to me greatly haha!!

    Holy cow some of these!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny how it's the nonfiction titles that really tend to ramble on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have the Jonas Jonasson and the Guernsey book on my TTT but I found an even longer one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. why do men have nipples cracks me up. thanks for sharing
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that first one might win today. It's SO LONG! Like come on. Do we really need that one? And the nipples one is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I think you won for finding the very longestest titles this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Judith Virost--I remember as a teen/y.a. I read a column she wrote--maybe in Redbook magazine? Loved her Alexander book too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa! These book titles are sure long! Great picks!

    Here’s my Top Ten Tuesday!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure what else there is to write after reading some of those classic titles. It's like they fit the whole plot in there! :-D And that last one--I don't even understand the title. I can't imagine actually trying to read the book O_O

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've noticed that nonfiction book titles almost always include a colon. I guess they require further explanation than the titles of novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of titles like that in fiction, as well. I did not include the parts behind the colon for my long titles. LOL

      Delete
    2. Maybe it makes nonfiction authors feel like they are masters of their material.

      Delete
  14. Wow, that Beginner's guide to Paradise takes the cake! And thanks for looking up that suuper long title for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some are long -- but not all -- I've seen plenty of long ones in my time! So many look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't remember any Hank the Cowdog books I read individually, but I am so sad for Past Me if she did not read about the ONE-EYED KILLER STUD HORSE. Amazing.

    Also that Judith Viorst book looks adorable, even though it also seems like it would set moms up to be "gotcha'd!" at unexpected moments about how they're not always right...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mercy but some of those are quite a moouthful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never be able to list the entire title of most of these.

      Delete
  18. I don't quite get the lure of long book titles since we all shorten them when referencing them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many great titles here! I think I love long nonfiction titles so much because they really lay out EXACTLY what kind of book you're getting yourself into.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Some crazy long titles, non fiction books definitely win the award for long titles.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fascinating idea for a post!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.