Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Birds of a Feather Flock Together: Best Bird Books

You may have noticed that I have been a bit...well, I guess the word is obsessed...obsessed about birds lately. I love nature. I've always loved nature. But it is birds that have recently caught my eye...and my heart.

Maybe you are interested in reading some good books about birds. Here are a few of my favorites.


Lost Among the Birds: Accidentally Finding Myself in One Very Big Year
Bird Therapy
H is for Hawk
The Genius of Birds
Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill: A Love Story with Wings
North on the Wing: Travels with the Songbird Migration of Spring
How to Attract Birds to Your Garden
Vesper Flights
The Thing With Feathers
How to Be a (Bad) Birdwatcher by Simon Barnes
A Bad Birdwatcher's Companion by Simon Barnes
One Wild Bird at a Time: Portraits of Individual Lives
Migrations: A Novel
World of Wonders: In Praise of Fireflies, Whale Sharks, and Other Astonishments
What It's Like to Be a Bird by David Allen Sibley
The Armchair Birder: Discovering the Secret Lives of Familiar Birds
Snapper by Brian Kimberling (novel)



I had to share some kid books about birds, too.


My Book of Birds
Bird Talk: What Birds are Saying and Why 
Just Ducks!
Hoot by Carl Hiaasen (fiction)
The Day I Became a Bird (fiction) 
An Egg is Quiet
The Duck in the Gun (fiction)
The Puffing Patrol
Make Way for Ducklings (fiction)
Look, Birds! 
Bird Count
Pale Male: Citizen Hawk of New York City



Did you especially like any of these? 

Do you have any recommendations for me? 



Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

34 comments:

  1. Deb, have you read The Year the Swallows Came Early? I also love Nacho and Lolita, which is fiction but based on a Mexican legend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't, Terry. But I will look for it now. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I've noticed your obsession with birds lately! Honestly, I'm getting into them, too. Great list.

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-books-with-mountains-on-the-cover/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice assortment. I loved Migrations and There's a Bird on Your Head LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had no idea there were so many bird covers! The Worlds of Wonder cover is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know any of these but I see lots of interesting titles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you chose one specific element and ran with it. Yay for all the birds!

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Birds! The first book that came to my mind was Bellman and Black with its raven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read Snapper and H is for Hawk. I'll be adding a few from this post to my TBR for sure!
    Try these: Life List by Olivia Gentile and That Quail, Robert by Margaret Stanger, and Wintering by Stephen Rutt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have actually read several of these books because birds are something of an obsession with me as well. I'm now looking forward to reading A World on the Wing by Scott Weidensaul. Hope to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that everyone seems to have come up with such great twists on this week's topic! I've only heard of a couple of the adult books and haven't read any, but There Is A Bird On Your Head is definitely a favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite Mo Willems books and that's saying a lot.

      Delete
  11. I really liked Bird Therapy myself, such a moving and excellent read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great choice this week! I always enjoyed reading Make Way for Ducklings to my kiddos. It's currently raining buckets here in North Texas and we have three ducks that have made our backyard puddles home. We've had a so much fun watching them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Boston Public Gardens in Make Way for Ducklings was the scene for one of my happiest BookCrossing adventures.

      Delete
  13. I loved The Big Year and Simon Barnes's How to be a (Bad) Birdwatcher. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both were great books. Now I want to see the video of Big Year.

      Delete
  14. Love these! I think that Snapper cover is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Birds can be really fascinating, can't they? I have a family of quail that lives in my backyard. I love watching them toodle around back there. It's especially fun when there are new babies to watch :)

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't read any of these books .. but I am slowly getting back to birding because of your posts .. my college-bound teenager was totally into birding when he was about 9 and he astounded our guide at a bird sanctuary we visited then :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so many great stories about kids who got into birding when they were young and where that interest took them.

      Delete
  17. I listened to H is for Hawk a while back and didn't love it the way everyone else seems to. Maybe because it's tied so closely to T. H. White? I didn't care for The Once and Future King as much as everyone else seems to either.

    Migrations has been catching my eye for a while now. I need to look for it at the library.

    I'm trying to think of bird books I've read. I think you mentioned that you've already read Cher Ami and Major Whittlesey. Mountainfit by Meera Lee Sethi was beautiful. That's all I can think of at the moment but it looks like you've gotten lots of good recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great list of books about birds, Deb. I will see if my library has any of these. Being under a stay at home order, means I have time to watch the birds in my yard and my neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't read the book The Big Year, but I really enjoyed the movie. My dad did a big year in our County and (I think) is in the top few for number of species (he's quite proud of this).

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you've been having a great week. What a fun list of bird books. I have World of Wonders on my wishlist but I'll have to look into some of these others. We had to take down our bird feeder because squirrels were getting to it but need to make it a bit more squirrel-proof so we can enjoy seeing the birds who visit.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.