Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Chicken Pot Slab Pie from Pie Squared: Irresistibly Easy Sweet & Savory Slab Pies by Cathy Barrow

A family specialty is chicken pot pie. My Grandma Frankeny used to make it when she and my grandpap ran their tavern in Pennsylvania. My mom used to make it in bulk sometimes and she'd bring my sister and my brother and me a pie for each of our families. I've always used Grandma's recipe.

Until this week.


This week I tried Chicken Pot Slab Pie from Pie Squared: Irresistibly Easy Sweet & Savory Slab Pies by Cathy Barrow.


Barrow demo-ed slab pies for us at the Texas Book Festival in 2019. I shared my experience making Ham and Gruyere Slab Pie with an All-Butter Crust in a blog post here.

Chicken Pot Slab Pie also uses an all-butter crust. 


CHICKEN POT SLAB PIE

ALL-BUTTER CRUST

2 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

16 tablespoons butter, cubed and frozen for 20 minutes

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup ice water


FILLING

1/4 cup olive oil

2 medium leaks, sliced into 1/2" disks

2 medium carrots, sliced and cut into 1/2" half moons

3 stalks celery, sliced 1/2" thick

1 heaping teaspoon fresh thyme

1 teaspoon herbes de Provence

1/4 cup white wine or water

4 tablespoons butter

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cups chicken stock

12 ounces cooked chicken, cubed (about 2 cups)

6 ounces frozen petite peas

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

3/4 teaspoon black pepper


For the crust: In the food processor, pulse the flour, butter, and salt until the fats are in small pieces coated with flour, about 15 times. Add the water all at once and process until the mixture almost forms a ball. Form the dough into a 6-by-4-inch rectangle using plastic wrap and a bench scraper to firmly press the dough into a cohesive form. Wrap tightly and refrigerate a minimum of 4 hours.

Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow it to warm slightly. Divide the dough into two pieces, one slightly larger than the other. Roll out the larger piece to 11-by-15-inches and place in the 9-by-13 baking sheet (no more than 1 inch deep), pressing it into the corners of the pan and allowing the excess to drape over the sides. Refrigerate. Roll out the second piece of dough to 10-by-14-inches, place it on a lightly floured sheet of parchment, and refrigerate.

For the filling: Heat the olive oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook until transparent, about 8 minutes. Add the carrots, celery, thyme, and herbes de Provence. Stir well to coat in oil and cook until the vegetables are slightly tender, 4 or 5 minutes. Splash in the wine and cook until the pan is nearly dry, about 3 minutes.

Turn the heat to medium-high, add the butter, and cook until it is foaming. Sprinkle the flour over the buttery vegetables and cook, stirring, until the flour smell goes away and the roux (the paste created with butter and flour) has turned slightly golden, about 4 minutes. Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let the stew bubble away until thickened, 5 or 6 minutes. Stir in the chicken, peas, salt, and pepper. Cool the filling for at least 30 minutes before filling the pie.

Heat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place a baking stone on the center rack while the oven heats. Bring the bottom crust out of the refrigerator, scrape in the filling, and spread it from edge to edge and into the corners. Place the top crust over the filling. Crimp and slash the top.

Bake the pie on top of stone for 20 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 375 degrees F and bake until the top is toasty brown and the filling is bubbling up out of the slashes, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.



Do you have a good recipe for chicken pot pie? Is this something you make?


For more wordless photos, go to Wordless Wednesday.

Weekend Cooking was created by Beth Fish Reads and is now hosted by Marg at The Intrepid Reader (and Baker). It is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

22 comments:

  1. Mmmm! Okay, now I'm ready for breakfast. Oh, by the way- it seems the chicken is omitted from the ingredient list? This sounds so delicious, though I can't eat such heavy meals any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, you are right...I left out the most important ingredient...there, I've corrected it.

      Delete
  2. Who can turn down a slab pie? No one. I do miss a good chicken pot pie. Gluten free crusts have come a long way but not a long enough way for me to love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to try how it tsstes like all special plates, unless I don't have to cook ! I am retired, lol !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard the term "slab pie" before. What a sheltered life I've led. But I do love chicken pot pie and this recipe sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the things I love about blogging...I learn so many new things.

      Delete
  5. Oooooe yummy! This sounds and looks delicious! I am definitely saving your recipe. Make a page for recipes Debbie! I love chicken pie and usually use my aunt's recipe. But I'm so going to try this one. Even Elza will probably love it.

    Hope you are enjoying a wonderful week Debbie.

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yum!!! My husband (and I) would love this. Rod used to go to a little diner in San Diego called The Chicken Pot Pie Shop (or something like that) and he has always raved about how good those pot pies were. I have never attempted to make a chicken pot pie, but this sounds like one I could manage. I don't have a baking stone, though. I wonder if I could put the pan inside another of the same size? Or I could just buy a stone. :) Thanks, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't taken the stone out of the oven since I baked this pie, but it has worked great for biscuits and banana bread, too.

      Delete
  7. you are torturing me! I just started cleansing diet (800g of fruits, water, tea per day) and am starving ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so hungry now! I ate chicken pot pie a lot when I was growing up but, alas, it was frozen premade chicken pot pie. One day my husband and I visited the Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia and there were various Amish vendors there. One was selling chicken pot pie. So good! So I found out what I was missing. Alas, being on Weight Watchers, only a tiny slice of this would fit into my plan. Sigh and double sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm surprised that it's in such a shallow pan, but it sounds really wonderful. That's a very rich crust, must be very delicate.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cheat using cream of chicken soup and leftover veggies. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delicious! I do enjoy chicken pot pie but rarely have it and we've never tried making our own.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 'slab pie' is new to me too but i get what you mean. i love a chicken pie (sorry but i had to laugh when i saw you used 'leaks') and this sounds fabulous. and homemade pastry is the bomb!
    cheers
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S. can i ask which email subs system you are changing to in july? I've changed to Follow.it and i'm praying it all works okay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh - i just saw above that you are using Follow.it! I recognise the box above as i have the same one for subs now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! I am off to look for this book now. Great looking meal.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.