Tuesday, January 25, 2022

New-to-Me Authors I Discovered in 2021



It was the year of M.F.K. Fisher. I read five books by Fisher---Serve It Forth, Consider the Oyster, How to Cook a Wolf, An Alphabet for Gourmets, and Gastronomical Me---and I loved them all.


It was the year of bicyclist authors Neil Tomba and Sara Dykman. Yes, they both write and they both write about their adventures on bicycles, but I'm not sure the commonalities go any farther than this. Neil Tomka wrote the fabulous story of his ride across America on a bicycle, stopping to talk with Americans along the way, while Sara Dykman wrote her amazing story of following the monarch butterfly migration from Mexico to Canada on a bicycle. 


It was the year of Andrea Elliott who came under my radar with her report of a homeless child and her family in the nonfiction book Invisible Child. I will watch for Elliott's next work.


It was the year of actor Stanley Tucci with his autobiography Taste: My Life Through Food. I also found his great series about Italian food, Searching for Italy. I hope to read his cookbook this year.


It was the year of young poet Amanda Gorman. I listened, rapt, to her poem at the inauguration last January, and I was delighted to read her picture book, Change Sings. I can't wait to read more.


It was the year of Native American writers Angeline Bouley and Anton Treuer. Bouley, in her fiction book for young adults, Firekeeper's Daughter, and Treuer in his nonfiction book for young adults, Everything You Wanted to Know About Indians But Were Afraid to Ask...both these authors taught me so much about the Native American experience last year.





Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.