Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Street Art in Paris...or Would You Call It Graffiti?

My sister and I set out in search of street art during our recent trip to Paris. My sister pointed us in the direction of Belleville, and we were richly rewarded for our efforts...There was street art on almost every corner.

Then I started thinking about the terms "street art" and "graffiti." Is street art the same thing as graffiti? Or are there differences?

I did a little research and found these definitions. I illustrated each definition with photos from my trip to Paris in February of 2020.


A key difference between the two terms is that street art tends to be more image-based, while graffiti is more word-based. A second important difference is the intent of the artist; graffiti artists are not concerned with public reaction to art, but make art for their own self-interest, while street artists intend to provoke audience interest and interaction in their work.

So what do you think about the art below? Street art or graffiti? And which is your favorite?


























For more wordless photos, go to Wordless Wednesday.

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you can share new words that you’ve encountered, or spotlight words you love.  Feel free to get creative! It was first created by Kathy over at Bermuda Onion and is now hosted at Elza Reads.

Il est Juillet et il est temps pour le merveilleux Paris in July co-hosted by Thyme for Tea and Readerbuzz

\

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.