Saturday, January 28, 2023

Born a Crime

 






You told me it was amazing, but I didn't believe you. Forgive me. I've read too many over-hyped celebrity memoirs, and I thought Born a Crime by Trevor Noah was just another one of them. I was wrong, and you were right. Yes. Amazing.

If you want to venture into the world of great classics and great literary fiction, but you are worried about getting bogged down in pages and pages of text...you might take a look at Great Short Books: A Year of Reading Briefly by Kenneth E. Davis. Davis reads and shares some...well, some Great Short Books (capital letters earned).



What I Finished Last Week:


The Wonderful Adventures of Nils by Selma Lagerlöf (1001 Children's Books You Must Read)





Born a Crime by Trevor Noah (Nonfiction: Memoir)

Great Short Books: A Year of Reading Briefly by Kenneth C. Davis (Nonfiction: Books-about-Books)





What I'm Reading Now:

Adam Bede by George Eliot (Chapter-a-Day Classic)

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (Classics Club)

Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg (Creativity Challenge)

Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White (1001 Children's Books You Must Read)

Old Friend from Far Away: The Practice of Writing Memoir by Natalie Goldberg (Creativity Challenge)

Making Comics by Lynda Barry (Creativity Challenge)

The Book of Goose by Yiyun Li (Recent Fiction)








Last week I posted here at Readerbuzz:







I got out Monday night to hear authors Yiyun Li and Matthew Salesses read from their new books at Inprint in Houston. I will post about their readings later this week.









Happy this series has returned.



























Good Thing #1

"I lovu you"
My granddaughter Annie added the second heart 
to my new Back-of-the-Pantry Chalkboard the last time she visited. 
Now I can't bear to erase it.




Good Thing #2

Not a rare bird, I suppose, 
but the first time this little guy was in my backyard:
Ruby-crowned Kinglet.



Good Thing #3

On the wall behind the authors
at the synagogue 
where the author reading was held this week.




I'm happy you joined us here at the Sunday Salon. Sunday Salon is a place to link up and to share what we have been doing during the week. It's a great way to visit other blogs and join in the conversations going on there. 


Some of the things we often talk about at the Sunday Salon:

  • What was your week like?
  • Read any good books? Tell us about them.
  • What other bookish things did you do? 
  • What else is going on in your life?

Other places where you may like to link up over the weekend are below. Click on the picture to visit the site.

        

My linkup for Sunday Salon is below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.