Saturday, June 10, 2023

The Sunday Salon: I Commit to Writing a Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very-Bad Novel This Summer

 







Lots of big, exciting things are in the works here in my little world. I've committed to finishing a rough (very, very rough) draft of a novel by the end of October. We've begun planning a trip to Italy in September. The pool has opened and I'm back to my wonderful swimming classes. And I'm celebrating fifteen years of blogging with a gemstone giveaway---be sure to enter the giveaway below.








What I Read Last Week:

The Last Mapmaker by Christina Soontornvat (Children's Fantasy)
The Globetrotter's Guide to Happiness by Kate Morgan (Happiness Nonfiction)
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (Book Club)

It was a great reading week. 

Since I'm working on a children's adventure novel of my own, I couldn't help admiring the way Christina Soontornvat structured her children's book, The Last Mapmaker, a winner of a Newbery Honor. 

I always take away something from a book on happiness, and from The Globetrotter's Guide to Happiness, I took away the ideas of dadirri---inner, deep listening and quiet, still awareness---and meraki---to do anything with absolute devotion and passion. 

I first read The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency in 2003, and I was delighted that my real-life book club chose it for our June read. I hope to make some bush tea for our meeting.

The links take you to my reviews.




What I'm Reading Now:

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (Classic)
Zen and the Art of Writing: Releasing the Creative Genius Within You by Ray Bradbury (Writing)
Wild Mind: Living the Writer's Life by Natalie Goldberg (Writing)
Spirals in Time: The Secret Life and Curious Afterlife of Seashells by Helen Scales (Nature)
A Woman's Story by Annie Ernaux (Nobel Prize Winning Author)
The Covenant of Water by Abraham Verghese (Summer Big Read)










Last week I posted here at Readerbuzz:







Have I told you that I'm writing a novel this summer? Three of us have formed a writing group in Galveston and we are getting together once a week to share progress on our novels. We have each committed to finishing a rough draft of A Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very-Bad Novel by the end of the summer. 

So far, I have written ninety-two pages. 







Good Thing #1
Swimming class friends at a get-together last year.
Happy to be back together in swimming class again.



Good Thing #2
My long-time friend Lisa
had what we hope is 
her final breast cancer surgery 
this week.
Doesn't she look great?!




Good Thing #3
Celebrating fifteen years of blogging!






I'm happy you joined us here at the Sunday Salon. Sunday Salon is a place to link up and to share what we have been doing during the week. It's a great way to visit other blogs and join in the conversations going on there. 


Some of the things we often talk about at the Sunday Salon:

  • What was your week like?
  • Read any good books? Tell us about them.
  • What other bookish things did you do? 
  • What else is going on in your life?

Other places where you may like to link up over the weekend are below. Click on the picture to visit the site.

        

My linkup for Sunday Salon is below.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.