Saturday, June 17, 2023

The Sunday Salon: Sometimes It's Good to Let Things Go...









What I Read Last Week:

A Woman's Story by Annie Ernaux (Nobel Prize Winner; Memoir)
No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (Book Club Reread)

Zen and the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury (Writing)
Wild Mind by Natalie Goldberg (Writing)
Pictures from Italy by Charles Dickens (Italy; Nonfiction; Travel)
The Little Italian Hotel by Phaedra Patrick (Italy; Fiction)


I found A Woman's Story to be a powerful book, and the author worthy of the Nobel Prize for Literature. It's the story of the death of Ernaux's mother. If you read and enjoyed a Claire Keegan novel, I feel safe in predicting that you will like A Woman's Story, too.

I listened to No. 1 Ladies' Detective for my book club this month, and I found it just as solid as I did when I first read it twenty years ago.

I wrote less-than-positive reviews for five books this week: You, Zen, Wild Mind, Pictures from Italy, Italian Hotel, and Spirals. It's not the books; I think I wasn't in the mood for reading these.



What I'm Reading Now:

I'm reading two more Italy-related books this week, and reading these has helped restore my reading mojo. One is a very light novel, My Italian Bulldozer, also by Alexander McCall Smith, and the other is a light overview of the history and current life of the Italian people titled, appropriately, The Italians, written by John Hooper. 

I'm definitely planning to dig into The Covenant of Water this week, and I'm about 15% of the way into Count of Monte Cristo.








Last week I posted here at Readerbuzz:









Good Thing #1

Since Lance Wood from the National Weather Service
spoke at our Texas Master Naturalist meeting
about hurricanes,
I now know a lot about storm surge
and flooding risk and tornadoes and wind speed
and how all these relate to hurricanes 
here along the Gulf Coast of Texas.

So I guess this is a good thing...lol...





Good Thing #2

Tamara of Thyme for Tea and I 
decided not to host Paris in July this year.

Tamara said she'd be happy to pass this on
if someone else would like to host.
Let me know if you'd like to do this in July,
and I'll share Tamara's contact info.




Good Thing #3

I decided not to serve as category chair
for Fiction Picture Books and Board Books
this year for the Cybils Awards.
Happily, one of the wonderful judges on the panel
agreed to take this on in 2023.


Sometimes it's good to let things go...










I'm happy you joined us here at the Sunday Salon. Sunday Salon is a place to link up and to share what we have been doing during the week. It's a great way to visit other blogs and join in the conversations going on there. 


Some of the things we often talk about at the Sunday Salon:

  • What was your week like?
  • Read any good books? Tell us about them.
  • What other bookish things did you do? 
  • What else is going on in your life?

Other places where you may like to link up over the weekend are below. Click on the picture to visit the site.

        

My linkup for Sunday Salon is below.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.