Saturday, June 8, 2024

The Sunday Salon: Reading Madame Bovary in French...Very, Very Slowly

     


Welcome! I'm happy you joined us here at the 
Sunday Salon. What is the Sunday Salon? The Sunday Salon is a place to link up and share what we have been doing during the week plus it's a great way to visit other blogs and join in the conversations going on there. 







I've had trouble this week settling into a book. I'm working on Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens, and that's going well, at a pace of a chapter a day. I'm working on Madame Bovary in French, and that is going much more slowly; I've finally finished the first chapter after working on the story for a week. My naturalist group is reading How the Mountains Grew, and I'll be reading that all summer.

But I'd hoped to read some light fiction this summer, and everything I've tried so far---well, let's just say the library is getting a lot of my books back very, very quickly. Hopefully, something will work for me soon...




What I Read Last Week:

James by Percival Everett

The Road to Character by David Brooks




What I'm Reading Now:

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (in French)

Tik-Tok of Oz by L. Frank Baum (Ozathon)

The Great Book of Journaling: How Journal Writing Can Support a Life of Wellness, Creativity, Meaning, and Purpose by Elsie Maigel and Lynda Mink (Writing)

How the Mountains Grew by John Dvorak (Naturalist Group Book Club)

Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens (1000 Books)








What I Posted Last Week Here at Readerbuzz:

The Sunday Salon: Baby Birds in My Sycamore Tree





Join Gather Together for a readalong of The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens - 831 pages - this summer:

  • June: Ch. 1 - 16, pp 1 - 204
    Discussion post: June 30
  • July: Ch. 17 - 31, pp 205 - 407
    Discussion post: July 31
  • August: Ch. 32 - 46, pp 408 - 608
    Discussion post: August 31
  • September: Ch. 47 - 65, pp 609 - 831 (end)
    Discussion post: September 30




You might like to join Emma at Words and Peace for a readalong of Madame Bovary in French this summer. 









My husband and I have participated in a citizen science project, Texas Butterfly Monitoring Network, since March of 2021. This week and next week we are using the data we have collected to draw some conclusions about the butterflies we have observed at a local park. We will be presenting our findings at the Advanced Training Day for our Texas Master Naturalist Group next weekend.









I began to list 3 Good Things every day during the pandemic. Now I've established a regular routine of writing down my 3 Good Things. Here are 3 Good Things from last week:




Good Thing #1:

Action for Happiness has a Joyful June calendar.





Good Thing #2:

I saw my first owl a few weeks back.
Now the owl has had owl babies!




Good Thing #3:

"Think of 3 things
you're grateful for
and write them down."

Excellent idea, Action for Happiness!
I think I will!




Weekend linkup spots are listed below. Click on the picture to visit the site.

        

I hope you will join the linkup for Sunday Salon below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.