Thursday, September 12, 2024

Comfy, Cozy Cinema: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

 


I suggested to my husband that we try to do a few Comfy, Cozy Cinema choices this fall, and he agreed. 

Movie Title: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Original Release Date: 2012
Streaming Free: Nowhere I could find, but I did locate a DVD at my public library
Rating: PG-13
Time: 2 hrs. 4 min.
Amazon Rating: 4.7 / 5 with 17,609 ratings
Cast: Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, Dev Patel, Tom Wilkinson, Maggie Smith

We thought we had seen this movie, but we were wrong; The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, we discovered, was entirely new to us. 

Seven elderly people from English come to stay at The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. They quickly discover that the hotel is not exactly as it was described in the brochure. A young man, Sonny, is trying to make a go of the wreck of a hotel left to him by his dreamy-eyed father, and he's crazy about a young woman who works at a local call center, but both the hotel and the young woman are not what Sonny's mother has in mind for his future. Each of the pensioners has his own very personal reason for coming to India: Evelyn has just lost her husband and must sell her house to cover her husband's debts; Graham, a judge, retires to India where he lived as a boy; Jean and Douglas are forced to find an inexpensive place to live after losing all their money investing in their daughter's business; Muriel, a housekeeper, comes to India to have her hip replaced quickly; Madge and Normal are both on the search for new love.

What a delight this movie is, with a marvelous cast, a marvelous script, and a marvelous setting in India. My husband and I are of an age that we could happily move right in to the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Perhaps we will.

We were happy to discover that there is a sequel, The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, and that my library has a copy of this film, too. We will be watching it soon, I think.

My Comfy Cozy Rating: High

Comfy Cozy Qualities: Humor, moving-and-starting-over, friendship, setting


This trailer should give you a taste of the movie.


This is year two of Comfy Cozy Cinema, hosted by Erin at Still Life, with Cracker Crumbs and Lisa at Boondock Ramblings. Erin and Lisa invite us all to join in by watching the movie, posting about it, and linking up within a week of the day listed on the chart below.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.