Friday, September 13, 2024

Tell Me Everything: A Novel by Elizabeth Strout: Book Beginnings on Fridays, First Line Friday, The Friday 56, and Book Blogger Hop

 


Today's Featured Book: 

Tell Me Everything

by Elizabeth Strout

Genre: Fiction

Published: September 10, 2024

Page Count: 327 pages

Summary: 

It’s autumn in Maine, and the town lawyer Bob Burgess has become enmeshed in an unfolding murder investigation, defending a lonely, isolated man accused of killing his mother. He has also fallen into a deep and abiding friendship with the acclaimed writer Lucy Barton, who lives down the road in a house by the sea with her ex-husband, William. Together, Lucy and Bob go on walks and talk about their lives, their fears and regrets, and what might have been. Lucy, meanwhile, is finally introduced to the iconic Olive Kitteridge, now living in a retirement community on the edge of town. They spend afternoons together in Olive’s apartment, telling each other stories. Stories about people they have known—“unrecorded lives,” Olive calls them—reanimating them, and, in the process, imbuing their lives with meaning.





 


BOOK BEGINNINGS ON FRIDAY is hosted by Rose City ReaderWhat book are you happy about reading this week? Please share the opening sentence (or so) on BOOK BEGINNINGS ON FRIDAY! Add the link to your blog or social media post and visit other blogs to see what others are reading.

Happy Friday and welcome to the FIRST LINE FRIDAY, hosted by Reading is My Superpower! It’s time to grab the book nearest to you and leave a comment with the first line.


This is the story of Bob Burgess, a tall, heavyset man who lives in the town of Crosby, Maine, and he is sixty-five years old at the time that we are speaking of him. Bob has a big heart, but he does not know that about himself; like many of us, he does not know himself as well as he assumes to, and he would never believe he had anything worthy in his life to document. But he does; we all do.






THE FRIDAY 56 is hosted by Anne of Head Full of Books. To play, open a book and turn to page 56 (or 56% on your e-reader). Find a sentence or two and post them, along with the book title and author. Then link up on Head Full of Books and visit others in the linky. 


They walked along for a few minutes and then Lucy said, "I've been thinking about my mother a lot for some reason, I don't know why. But I remembered this: One day when I was about eight years old, I asked her, Why does Row, row, row your boat end with the phrase Life is but a dream, what does that mean? I asked her. And it was funny because she said, quietly, It means life isn't real. And I said, how can it not be real? And what I remember is that she stopped doing the dishes and stared out the tiny window above the sink, and she said---again, quietly---It means that it isn't real. And I always remembered that...Bob, I was too young, I didn't get it."

"No one gets anything when they're young," Bob said. 






I have not read anything more than the summary and these two passages, but I have loved the other books of Elizabeth Strout I have read (Oops! I loved most of the other books), and I can't wait to read this one.

Olive Kitteridge (5 Stars)
The Burgess Boys (3 Stars)
Olive, Again (4 Stars)
Oh, William (4 Stars)
Lucy By the Sea (5 Stars)










The purpose of THE BOOK BLOGGER HOP is to give bloggers a chance to follow other blogs, learn about new books, and befriend other bloggers. THE BOOK BLOGGER HOP is hosted by Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer   

It's back-to-school time. What book would you recommend to students, whether it's an educational read or an enjoyable diversion from textbooks? (submitted by Billy @ Coffee Addicted Writer)

What book would I recommend to students? Whew, students is a broad term. The students at my school library were four to eight years old, so I will choose them. What would I recommend to them? I'd recommend something (1) in a series, (2) that they could read on their own, and (3) that they could not resist reading. 

Elephant & Piggie series (25 books)

by Mo Willems




No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.