Thursday, October 10, 2024

Comfy Cozy Cinema: Blithe Spirit




I suggested to my husband that we try to do a few Comfy Cozy Cinema choices this fall, and he agreed. 

Movie Title: Blithe Spirit
Original Release Date: 2020
Where I Found It: DVD at my public library
Rating: PG-13
Time: 95 minutes
Amazon Rating: 4 / 5 with 6,184 ratings
Cast: Dan Stevens, Leslie Mann, Isla Fisher, Judi Dench

I know, I know. I watched the wrong version of Blithe Spirit. Forgive me. I have my reasons.

Short version: The tree guy came to remove the tree limb felled by Hurricane Beryl in July. He bumped the electrical wire. The electrical guy came to fix the electrical wire. He bumped the Internet. The Internet guy came to fix the Internet. He changed the password to a secure one. 

It is a secure password. So secure that I don't even know it. So I can't log into the Internet and watch tv.

I thought I was requesting the 1945 version of Blithe Spirit from my library. In any case, it was the 2020 version that arrived for me.

So, okay, 2020 Blithe Spirit it is.


What's the Story About?

Author Charles (Dan Stevens) has writer's block. He goes to see a spiritualist, Madame Arcati, (Judi Dench) who accidentally brings back Charles' first wife, Elvira. Second wife Ruth (Isla Fisher) is not glad to see Elvira. But, it turns out, Charles is delighted as it's actually Elvira who has been writing his books. 

My Comfy Cozy Rating: Medium 

Comfy Cozy Qualities: Humor, gorgeous settings, 

a bit of Noel Coward (though it's highly diluted in this version) and,

best of all, more Judi Dench




Here's the trailer for the movie.

My Thoughts?

I liked it. I'm sad I didn't get to see the 1945 version, but still this version was funny and light. 

Maybe I will call AT&T and try to wrestle them for my password. If I can, it won't be too late to do a compare-and-contrast.


Oh my, and next week is one of my all-time favorite movies, Rear Window, with one of my favorite comfy-cozy actors, Jimmy Stewart!


This is year two of Comfy Cozy Cinema, hosted by Erin at Still Life, with Cracker Crumbs and Lisa at Boondock Ramblings. Erin and Lisa invite us all to join in by watching the movie, posting about it, and linking up within a week of the day listed on the chart below.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.