Saturday, October 26, 2024

The Sunday Salon: Of Human Bondage, the Yamboree, and Richard Powers Comes to Houston

     

Welcome! 

I'm happy you joined us here at the Sunday Salon

What is the Sunday Salon? The Sunday Salon is a place to link up and share what we have been doing during the week plus it's a great way to visit other blogs and join in the conversations going on there. 










Annie and Wyatt with me at the East Texas Yamboree

We drove home from Big Sandy last Sunday, and I think I spent the rest of the week trying to recover from eight days spent babysitting our grandkids. 

I'm trying to decide which is more exhausting, taking care of 100 chickens or two children.







What I Read Last Week:

Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham








What I'm Reading Now:

Playground: A Novel by Richard Powers
Zen and Zen Classics by R. H. Blyth
Build the Life You Want: The Art and Science of Getting Happier by Arthur C. Brooks and Oprah Winfrey
The Magic of Oz by L. Frank Baum









What I Posted Last Week Here at Readerbuzz:

The Sunday Salon: Headed Home from Big Sandy










November is coming soon, and that means a lot of book blogging events. Last year I participated in Nonfiction November and Novellas in November. This year I am hoping to try SciFi Month along with Nonfiction November. 

For my own reference, I'm noting below the books I might read and links to the host blogs.



          Week 1 (10/28-11/1) Your Year in Nonfiction. Liz, who blogs at Adventures in reading, running and working from home, is an editor, transcriber, reader, reviewer, writer and runner. She likes reading literary fiction and nonfiction, travel and biography.

Week 2 (11/4-11/8) Choosing Nonfiction. Frances blogs about the books she has read at Volatile Rune and is a published poet, reviewer, sometime storyteller and novelist.

Week 3 (11/11-11/15) Book Pairings. Heather of Based on a True Story lives in Ohio with her husband, surrounded by lots and lots of critters!

Week 4 (11/18-11/22) Mind Openers. Rebekah reviews social justice books on She Seeks Nonfiction. She is a Pittsburgh-based activist, graphic designer, and cat parent.

Week 5 (11/25-11/29) New To My TBR. Deb, who blogs at Readerbuzz, is a Texas librarian-for-life who swims, rides her bike, draws, writes, and loves to read nonfiction-that-reads-like-fiction, literary fiction, classics, and children’s picture books. 


What I might read for Nonfiction November 2024:

  • Christ Stopped at Eboli by Carlo Levi
  • Travels with a Donkey in the CĂ©vennes by Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Build the Life You Want by Arthur C. Brooks
  • Bite by Bite: Nourishments and Jamborees by Aimee Nezhukumatathil
  • The Bookshop: A History of the American Bookstore by Evan Friss
  • What I Ate in One Year by Stanley Tucci
  • Zen and Zen Classics by R. L. Blyth



SciFiMonth is an annual celebration of science fiction across all channels, hosted by our most excellent captains imyril of There’s Always Room for One More and Lisa of Dear Geek Place and their lieutenants Annemieke of A Dance with Books and Mayri of bookforger.

Whichever channel(s) you decide to join us on, we ask that you use the hashtag #scifimonth2024 wherever possible to help us keep track of your posts.

What I might read for SciFi Month 2024:
  • Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
  • A Psalm for the Wild-Built by Becky Chambers
  • A Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
  • Necromancer by William Gibson
  • Orbital by Samantha Harvey
  • Ringworld by Larry Niven


Are you planning to participate in any of the November events?








I began to list 3 Good Things every day during the pandemic. Now I've established a regular routine of writing down my 3 Good Things. Here are 3 Good Things from last week:





Good Thing #1:

Author Richard Powers
at Inprint in Houston
Monday night.





Good Thing #2:

Postcards from my blogging friends,
Tina, Nicky, and Erin!
Thank you so much!



Good Thing #3:

Photo of a stunning maple tree
my son sent from Chicago




Weekend linkup spots are listed below. Click on the picture to visit the site.

        

I hope you will join the linkup for Sunday Salon below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.