Tuesday, August 17, 2010

10 Picture Books I Would Not Want to Teach Without


I ran across the coolest challenge today. The challenge actually took place on August 10th, but I'm jumping in, even at this late date.

Read and Refine: Building a Learning Community together with Enjoy and Embrace Learning issued a challenge: Name the ten picture books without which you would not want to teach.

And here's the result: 10 for 10. I've just barely looked around, but these appear to be fantastic lists. I hope to make my own list soon.

UPDATE: My Own List!


How can I possibly pick just ten books?!  Impossible, really.  So I decided to pick ten picture books that I've recently discovered from 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up. Here goes....


1. Not Now, Bernard by David McKee

2. Come Away from the Water, Shirley by John Birmingham

3. The Tiger Who Came to Tea by Judith Kerr

4. Crictor by Tomi Ungerer

5. Mister Magnolia by Quentin Blake

6. Dogger by Shirley Hughes

7. Who's Seen the Scissors? by Fernando Krahn


9. The Elephant and the Bad Baby by Elfrida Vipont

10. Window by Jeannie Baker

How have so many wonderful picture books eluded me until now??!!

8 comments:

  1. I shall take a look.
    My little one loves sharing books and as I spent
    7 years as a teaching assistant, before I had my little one I know the importance of developing their love of reading early.



    carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment on my blog--we definitely can share new ideas.
    I got a few new titles off your blog also. THANKS :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your list! I had a hard time picking 10 too! I love Shirley Hughes. I look forward to reading the others too. I look forward to reading your posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - just hoppin' by! I started the hop on Friday, but had to leave, just now getting back to it. Hope you had a great weekend! Stop by The Wormhole and say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you read Skippyjon Jones, by Judy Schachner? It's my favorite children's book EVER right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice list - several of my personal favourites here. You must check out Jeanie Baker's new book 'Mirror" - outstanding. It's Children's Book Week here in Australia, and our winners are announced at : http://cbca.org.au/cbca_winners_2010.htm
    Thanks for visiting my '10 Picture Books' list.
    cheers
    Brette

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your #10 book. I have it in my library and am fascinated by it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - how is it I've never ready ANY of these? There they go onto my list...

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.