Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Books That Awaken the Travel Bug In Me


I am all about travel books. 

At Goodreads, where I have currently read and reviewed 4,352 books, one of my favorite genres is travel books.

It's quite fun to stock up on books set in a destination and read my way through a location months and months before I actually embark. That certainly gets my travel bug going.


Look how much fun I had reading through Italy these past few months....




Italy for the Gourmet Traveller
Bella Figura: How to Live, Love, and Eat the Italian Way
Love & Gelato (Fiction)
Italian Days
Cooking with Nonna
Eating Rome
Walking in Italy
In Other Words (Memoir of learning to write in another language)
Leonardo da Vinci
A Wanderer's Guide to Lucca
Brunelleschi's Dome
The Little Prince (in Italian)




I love to read travel narratives set in places I will never visit. My travel bug is fully satisfied by simply reading about some spots in this world; I don't have to actually go there.

Here are some travel narratives set in places I will (probably) never visit....





In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeanette
Midnight in Siberia: A Train Journey into the Heart of Russia
The Roads to Sata: A 2,000 Mile Walk Through Japan
The Last Train to Zona Verde: My Ultimate African Safari
Sahara by Michael Palin
Visit Sunny Chernobyl: And Other Adventures in the World's Most Polluted Places
Beyond the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity
To a Mountain in Tibet
The Lunatic Express: Discovering the World...Via Its Most Dangerous Buses, Boats, Planes, and Trains
One for the Road: An Outback Adventure
Honeymoon in Purdah: An Iranian Adventure
Magic Bus: On the Hippie Trail from Istanbul to India
An Evening Among Headhunters
Getting Stoned with Savages
Shooting the Boh
Tracks: A Woman's Solo Trek Across 1,700 Miles of Australian Outback
Somewhere in America: Under the Radar with Chicken Warriors, Left-Wing Patriots, Angry Nudists, and Others
Zaatar Days, Henna Nights
Stranger in the Forest: On Foot Across Borneo
Lois on the Loose: One Woman, One Motorcycle, 20,000 Miles Across the Americas




As you can see, I'm crazy about travel narratives. Are there any you would recommend for me?





Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

13 comments:

  1. I am coming back to this post to read and look at these books very slowly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh nice! So many books! I remember I tried reading Brunelleschi's Dome for a class years ago, I had to drop said class though. Though I did see the Dome in person! Lol!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started Bella Figura last night because of your recommendation. LOVED chapter 1 (slowing down) and now I am very impatient for our Italian family vacation in 2021. I think I might have to take an earlier research trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh I would LOVE to see Italy (and read Love & Gelato!) and omg congrats on reading over 4,000 books...that's absolutely incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to travel through crime novels. Love interesting settings and have traveled all over the world through the mystery genre. The stranger the better. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love travel narratives. I loved this book which was a total surprise to me. We selected it for book club years ago.

    Shirley MacLaine's The Camino.
    https://www.amazon.com/Camino-Journey-Spirit-Shirley-MacLaine/dp/0743400739

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen Love and Gelato on a couple lists, I think I need to read it. But then I'll feel the need to travel to Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, nice set of titles! Love and Gelato keeps popping up on other TTT list, so will be adding that to my reading list!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2018/06/top-ten-tuesday-top-four-books-that.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd definitely add Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and Under the Tuscan Sun to the Italy list.

    Have a great week. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Italy is one of my favourite travel memoir locations as well! I just ordered Jumpha Lahiri's In Other Words myself and am looking forward to checking it out. I gather from this that you will soon be visiting la bella Italia? If so I hope you have a wonderful time - have some delicious gelatto and pizza for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow-that is incredible!! I have Love and Gelato on my list, very nice list!!

    http://justmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2018/06/top-ten-tuesday-10-books-that-makes-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm dying to go back to Italy some day. If I ever plan another trip there, I'll have to check out some of the titles you read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love to go to Italy... In the meantime I can read books you recommended:-)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.