Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Books That Take Me Straight into the World of Paris


When I travel, I always take books with me. The books I choose to take along on the trip are always books that are set in the place to which I am traveling.

Every summer I travel to Paris via my blog. I have now read many, many books set in Paris.

Some of the books take me straight into the world of Paris---its sights, its sounds, its aromas.

Here are my favorite novels that are evocative of Paris:



Suite Française




The Paris Wife




The 6:41 to Paris




Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris




The Elegance of the Hedgehog




In the Cafe of Lost Youth



All the Light We Cannot See




Lisette's Paris Notebook




Girl in Dior




Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles




















Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.


Please join the weekly meme at An Accidental Blog. Share with the rest of us your passion for France. Did you read a good book set in France? See a movie? Take a photo in France? Have an adventure? Eat a fabulous meal or even just a pastry? Or if you're in France now, go ahead and lord it over the rest of us. We can take it.


Il est Juillet et il est temps pour le merveilleux Paris in July hosted by Thyme for Tea! (*It is July and it is time for the wonderful Paris in July!)

14 comments:

  1. Great way to travel, isn’t? Ihave read The Paris Wife, ’Headgehog’ and All the Lights... all of the books I lived. Suite francaise is on as a series on Netflix so will try it. Sounds promising from the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea that Suite Francaise is a series. Thank you for sharing this. The book is amazing.

      Delete
  2. Do you read all of them when you go to Paris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list... I've read around half of them, hope to read _The 6:41 to Paris_ soon. I'm looking for books that were written in French for a French audience, and this appears to fit that definition.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 6:41 to Paris was disappointing. Sadly. I wish I had liked it.

      best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

      Delete
  4. Paris was such a fun twist on this week's topic. I had no idea there were so many stories set there.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great - more additions to my very similar list ! Have discovered and read so many this July it's been a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list Deb, the 6:41 to Paris has been made into a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read two of these and hope to read some of the rest...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been years since I read Mrs. 'Arris!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I see a number of dear old friends here! And some new ones, too! Never read Mrs. 'Arris! Sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read a couple on your list: Mrs. Arris was a delight, and I read it two different times, at two different stages of my life...enjoyed it both times. All the Light was hard for me to get into; I tried and gave up twice, but the third time was the charm, and I am so glad I finished it. I had Hedgehog and let it get away before I read it. I started it, but I was not in the right place to appreciate it, and now have decided to give it a second try. Maybe I'll check out the book from the library. Paris Wife still sits on my TBR shelf, and one would think I would have gotten around to it by now...maybe by Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, when Paris in July is over - I'll have such a long pile of books to find and read. I've read some of these, but I'd love to read Mrs Arris goes to Paris, in the Cafe of lost youth and Lissetes Paris notebook. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.