Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Books I Hope to Read This Fall

I like to plan out my reading. But not too much. I don't like feeling constrained.

This is what I am planning, quite tentatively, to read this fall:

Recommended books about writing. I've compiled a list of books I may read before NaNoWriMo begins on November 1st. Here are some I might read:

          Art and Fear: Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking
          Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear (reread)
          Bird by Bird (reread)
          A Writer by M. B. Goffstein
          The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
          Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyl
          Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg
          Into the Woods: A Five-Act Journey Into Story
          Writing with Pictures by Uri Shulevitz
          If You Want to Write by Brenda Ueland
          Mo Willems: Don't Pigeonhole Me
          The Ode Less Traveled by Stephen Fry

Books nominated for the Cybils Fiction Picture Books and Board Books. I don't know what these are yet, because nominations don't open until October 1st.

Books written by authors who are coming to Houston this fall. So far, I'm hoping to read books by these authors:

          Esi Edugyan (Washington Black, Half-Blood Blues)
          Meg Wolitzer (The Female Persuasion)
          Anne Lamott (Almost Everything: Notes on Hope)
          Barbara Kingsolver (Unsheltered)
          Jonathan Lethem (The Feral Detective)
          Gary Shteyngart (Lake Success)

Books from my Classics Club list. I haven't decided which books I might read yet, but I hope to read at least a book a month this fall. Here are some I am considering:

          The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Basho
          The Quiet American by Graham Greene
          The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
          One Thousand and One Arabian Nights
          White Fang by Jack London
          The Wonderful "O" by James Thurber
          Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller

Anything else that wanders my way this fall.






What are you hoping to read this fall? 
Do you have any suggestions for me? 
Does anything on my list look good to you?




          
         

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

11 comments:

  1. Wow! That's quite a list! Hope you get to read them all this fall!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to read The War of Art, too. Nice choice there.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's a lot of reading. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I'm envious that you'll get to see Meg Wolitzer this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eek! I want to read all the books on your list from authors visiting your area. And lucky you that you may meet them. Jealous.
    I read these lists and I start to panic. There are so many books out there that I haven't even heard of and now I want to look into them. But my TBR is already over 100 books long. If I just read them it would take me over a year to finish the list without adding new titles (which I do all the time.) Eek! My Fall TBR list

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is quite an ambitious list! I wish you the best of luck and happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big Magic is one I'm really looking forward to as well! I don't know if I'll get to it this year - I'm such a mood reader! Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This seems quite ambitious. Good luck getting to some/all of these. I'm like you and don't really like feeling constrained by a TBR too.

    Have a great week. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read "Writing Down the Bones" a couple of times - the first being in a college writing class and the second a few years ago. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you are a bit more disciplined than I am about reading what you plan to read. I read Bird by Bird and Writing Down the Bones years and years ago. Big Magic was overhyped to me, but not bad, and Don't Pigeonhole me was fun. I am super jealous of you seeing Kingsolver and Lamott speak. Of your classics list, the only one I can get much enthusiasm going for is the Miller. I think I did my junior "term paper" on him in high school, so I've read most of his plays. That one is so sad! Well, they all are. I do like Thurber, but haven't read that one. High school ruined Wharton for me (I will never get over resenting Ethan Frome) and I think I didn't love The Quiet American either. At any rate, you have a lot of interesting books in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so excited to be a CYBILS judge this year! I've got to go post about it. :-) Seeing Barbara Kingsolver in person would be so much fun.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.