Sunday, September 23, 2018

Three Books Read, Inprint Season Begins, and a Few Small, Book-ish Moments

WHAT I READ THIS WEEK

I finished three big books this week, all very good reads.


I hope to work on reviews later today.




THE NEW SEASON OF INPRINT BEGIN

What is Inprint? From the website: "Inprint is Houston's premier literary arts nonprofit organization. Our programs support and engage readers and writers of fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction." Every year Inprint brings many wonderful authors to Houston for readings and book discussions. Look who is coming this fall:










Esi Edugyan and Meg Wolitzer will be here tomorrow night. Can't wait!



RANDOM, SMALL, HAPPY BOOK-ISH MOMENTS THIS WEEK

First happy book-ish moment: I encouraged one of our book club members to invite her husband to read The Nightingale, our book for September, and join us for our discussion, and he did. He told us at book club, "Reading this book reminded me how much I like fiction." Oh, the words librarians love to hear.

Second happy book-ish moment: My brother read, at my recommendation, The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan, and "really, really liked it."




How about you? 
What have you been up to this week?
What are you reading today?




What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've
wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound
 journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens
at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their
own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly,
mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!
This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read”
book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted at The Book Date.




24 comments:

  1. I thought The Female Persuasion was a great read and can't wait to try Kingsolver's new book. Enjoy the Imprint program this week... sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Kingsolver and The Female Persuasion books on my list. I wish I could read faster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a great reading week. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED The Female Persuasion...and I would so enjoy meeting Meg Wolitzer. Her book The Wife is now a movie starring Glenn Close...but it hasn't yet come to our tiny little city (of 500,000). LOL

    I hate living in a city that never gets movies when they first come out...unless they are action movies. LOL.

    My #2 son lives in LA, so I should go there to see the movies I am awaiting.

    But...there is a downside to LA. I don't like driving there, for one thing.

    Everything has some negative aspects.

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really looking forward to your Kingsolver review! I read a couple great books this week and one that I wasn't crazy about :/ Post will be up later :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. In print sounds fabulous. I really want to read Unsheltered and The Good Neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when we recommend a book and the person loves it. Such a sense of satisfaction! Have fun at the author events!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Inprint sounds awesome. I wish I was in Houston. Your bookish moments are sweet. I loved The Narrow Road to the Deep North, so I’m happy when other people read it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inprint sounds fantastic! I'd be especially excited about Jason Reynolds.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that Inprint series sounds so fabulous. They'll all be incredible sessions I expect. Well done on your recommendations successes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh! I love the look of that Mr. Rogers book! Hope you have a great week!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that's a nice line up of authors that Inprint is bringing in. And I'm curious about the Mr. Rogers book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That Imprint program sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are great bookish moments!

    I loved Mr. Rogers so much growing up. Still do. Takes me back to my childhood just seeing his face. My son watches Daniel Tiger now, and it is nice to share that neighborhood with him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The one thing I miss about living where I used to is that I don't get a chance to meet authors. Authors and publishers don't seem to know or care where Duluth is. The Barnes and Noble will occasionally have a local author visit but I don't usually find out about it until it's over and I see the sign when walking the Mall. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to read The Good Neighbor. I grew up with Mister Rogers and always loved him. <3


    My list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just started Unsheltered and I loved The Female Persuasion. Thought it was very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that you hooked two readers to two books. Awesome librarian! Our library has stands where each librarian puts out displays in turn of what they recommend. But not the same as word of mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh how fun to have a book recommendation take! I love when that happens. I'm intrigued by Inprint! I've heard great things about Jason Reynolds but I've yet to pick up one of his books for my 8 year old. I think I need to make a library run myself! I really want to read the Mr. Rogers book. I loved him as a child and my little one loved the Daniel Tiger series that was made with the blessing of the Rogers family. Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your books look very interesting and though two of the authors I've read before, these books are new to me. Thanks for the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks like you had a good week. See what I read at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  22. I want to read the Fred Rogers book. See what I read at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.