Sunday, September 16, 2018

Cybils News, Texas Master Naturalist Program, and I Begin The Guidebook with Joy. Plus Sixteen Book Reviews.




It's been a busy week.



CYBILS NEWS

The judges have been chosen for the 2018 Cybils and the official announcement will be made on Tuesday. This is my third year as category chair of Fiction Picture Books and Board Books, and I had so many excellent people applying to be a judge that it was very hard to make a decision this year.

It won't be long and it will be time to nominate books for the Cybils. I've already started a spreadsheet of my favorite children and young adult books from last year. Anyone can nominate books, so I hope you will start thinking about the best books you read that were published between October 16, 2017 and October 15, 2018.

Here's the entire Cybils organizing team. I love the crazy photo of me, taken when I was working as a fortune teller at our school carnival. It looks like I've gazed into my crystal ball and I'm about to reveal the winners.




TEXAS MASTER NATURALIST INTERN

My husband and I have started our classes to become master naturalists. We will be learning about grasslands, forests, fish, insects, mammals, birds, snakes, and many other features and creatures native to our part of Texas. For the next ten weeks, we will spend Wednesday mornings in classes and Wednesday afternoons on field trips. I've just barely begun, but I already feel like I have learned so much.



OUR KITCHEN IS FINISHED

Happy news! Our kitchen is finished! I'll post some pictures soon.





I BEGIN THE GUIDEBOOK WITH JOY 

Joy from Joy's Book Blog was looking for a few good men (and women) to join her this fall to complete a creative project. I decided it was a perfect way for me to segue into NaNoWriMo. And so I joined Joy this week for the first session with The Guidebook. The Guidebook is a six step process to work through many of the problems people typically confront as they work through a project. Joy's program also offers support and accountability. I begin The Guidebook with Joy with joy!


BOOKS I'VE READ LATELY AND AM READING NOW

Books have been pouring into my mailbox in the last few months, but I feel like I've been keeping up really well. Some books I've read and reviewed and enjoyed include:








And what am I reading now, you ask?


Just four books: The Good Neighbor by Maxwell King, Unsheltered by Barbara Kingsolver, An American Marriage: A Novel by Tayari Jones, and Damnation Island: Poor, Sick, Mad & Criminal in 19th-Century New York by Stacy Horn. I am loving all of these so far.

In fact, I think I will be off to read a little more on these right now.




How about you? 
What have you been up to this week?
What are you reading today?







What is the Sunday SalonImagine some university library's vast reading room. It's filled with people--students and faculty and strangers who've
wandered in. They're seated at great oaken desks, books piled all around them,and they're all feverishly reading and jotting notes in their leather-bound
 journals as they go. Later they'll mill around the open dictionaries and compare their thoughts on the afternoon's literary intake....That's what happens
at the Sunday Salon, except it's all virtual. Every Sunday the bloggers participating in that week's Salon get together--at their separate desks, in their
own particular time zones--and read. And blog about their reading. And comment on one another's blogs. Think of it as an informal, weekly,
mini read-a-thon, an excuse to put aside one's earthly responsibilities and fall into a good book. Click here to join the Salon.

The Sunday Post is a meme hosted by Kimba at Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It's a chance to share news and recap the past week.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at The Printed Page. We share books that we found in our mailboxes last week. 
 It is now being hosted here.

Stacking the Shelves is a meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews in which you can share the books you've acquired.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is where we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!
This is a great way to plan out your reading week and see what others are currently reading as well… you never know where that next “must read”
book will come from! I love being a part of this and I hope you do too! It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted at The Book Date.

34 comments:

  1. Wow! You are really busy and taking advantage of your new amount of free time, right? Good for you! Hope this week goes well for you. The classes you and your husband are taking sound very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to be busy, as a rule, but I also like little spaces in my busy-ness. Retirement is perfect, I think.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Lots of books you got! I need to check out the Cybils awards! Hope you have a great weekend!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays and Cover Spotlight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will think about books you'd like to nominate.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It is! Hands on, and with field trips...isn't that how most of us learn best?

      Delete
  4. Mr. Rogers has his own book too. Cool. http://theglobaldig.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I'm probably the world's biggest Mr. Rogers fan.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness - you are a whirlwind, Deb! Best of luck in the naturalist classes, they sound wonderful:)).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something I know very little about, so it is quite fun.

      Delete
  6. I love the way you're taking on retirement! Happy to have you aboard for The Guidebook and I'm excited to hear more about what you learn as you become a master naturalist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy, for starting your program. I think it is going to put me into a good place for NaNoWriMo.

      Delete
  7. What a busy week! And the Cybils! How exciting :) I"m reading An American Marriage right now too - and really enjoying it. Hope you are too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just getting into it. I wanted to hold off until the author comes to Houston next spring, but she also seems to be coming to the Texas Book Festival in October, so I decided to go ahead and jump in.

      Delete
  8. Your classes sound like fun! Enjoy the Cybils, of course.

    I enjoyed An American Marriage.

    Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for our first field trip on Wednesday. Maybe I will post some pictures....

      Delete
  9. I like the picture of you with the crystal ball. Looks like a fun day. The cover of Deadly Spider Bite freaks me out! I'm terrified of spiders! Happy reading and thanks for visiting my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had so much fun with my fortune teller booth. I must find a way to do that again.

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you've had a terrific week! I am looking forward to the CYBILS season and can't wait to see all the books that get nominated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've been busy. I love that you are your husband are taking classes together. We keep talking about ballroom dancing lessons. Love the picture of your group and yay for the kitchen being done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa! I can't imagine getting my husband to take ballroom dancing classes! Good luck on that.

      Delete
  12. How did you first become aware of naturalist classes and what got you interested in them? What will happen after you complete the classes? Will you work at a nature center or a state park or something? Very, very interesting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How did you first become aware of naturalist classes and what got you interested in them? What will happen after you complete the classes? Will you work at a nature center or a state park or something? Very, very interesting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a friend who took the classes after he retired. My husband loves rocks and minerals and we are interested in creating a program to share his rocks and minerals with students.

      Delete
  14. Me I'm back with my SiFi again but I did reat a book called The Keeper of Lost Thinkgs by Ruth Hogan that my wife read and I really enjoyed. Think You would like it

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, I love your Cybils photo. Very fun. Good luck with your classes, and congrats on the kitchen! Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on getting the kitchen done! That has to be a relief. And An American Marriage sounds interesting. Happy reading!

    My list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you are finding quite a variety of ways to keep active in retirement. You lost me at "snakes" though. I don't even like looking at pictures of them. Seeing them in the wild sends chills up my spine. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The weeks leading up to the Cybils always has me on edge (in a good way). Can't wait for tomorrow's announcements. My weekly updates

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.