Thursday, June 18, 2020

Books with Redemptive Experiences

I made a list of my 283 favorite books, and I was astonished to see almost all of them have themes of redemption.

Is it just me or does everyone like to read stories about triumph over difficulties?


Nonfiction
Seabiscuit
Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Wilma Unlimited: How Wilma Rudolph Became the World's Fastest Woman
Unbroken

Fiction
The Giver
The Good Earth
Gilead
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
A Wrinkle in Time
Because of Winn-Dixie
Enchanted April
Secret Garden
Stargirl
Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Long Way to Verona
Life According to Lubka


Well not all of them. The Little Match Girl dies, after all, and The Giving Tree is chopped down into firewood. 



Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. If you want to play along, grab the button,write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. Linky at Bermuda Onion!

For more wordless photos, go to Wordless Wednesday.

Saturday Snapshot is hosted by West Metro Mommy ReadsTo participate in Saturday Snapshot: post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken and then leave a direct link to your post in the Mister Linky at West Metro Mommy Reads.

10 comments:

  1. I've only read one of the books on your list but a few are on my tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious, why did you put Unbroken in fiction?
    And yes, an amazing redemption experience - the word is even in the powerful subtitle. I couldn't believe the author allowed them to make a movie without this element.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma, for pointing out my error so that I could correct it.

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of the books on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I absolutely love books with a redemption theme. They're uplifting and give me hope when I'm going through my own trials.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, what could be better than a book about redemption? You have some of my favorites on here - The Boys in the Boat, Secret Garden, Enchanted April, A Wrinkle in Time, and thank you for including A Long Way from Verona - I think Jane Gardam should get more attention!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Redemptive stories always offer hope.
    Rae

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.