Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Books that Give Off Summer Vibes

It's a difficult time right now for all of us. 

I'm a reader. Books are always a great source of solace for me.

Here are some of the books I hope to read this summer and later this fall.


Paris is Always a Good Idea. (Though perhaps it isn't such a good idea right now, but oh, well...) Paris. Romance. 



I'm fascinated with this one. Leonard and Hungry Paul. "In this charming and truly unique debut, popular Irish musician Ronan Hession tells the story of two single, thirty-something men who still live with their parents and who are . . . nice. They take care of their parents and play board games together. They like to read. They take satisfaction from their work. They are resolutely kind. And they realize that none of this is considered . . . normal." Releases in early August.


Before the Coffee Gets Cold. Releases in November, but listen to the plot: "In a small back alley of Tokyo, there is a café that has been serving carefully brewed coffee for more than one hundred years. Local legend says that this shop offers something else besides coffee—the chance to travel back in time. Over the course of one summer, four customers visit the café in the hopes of making that journey. But time travel isn’t so simple, and there are rules that must be followed. Most important, the trip can last only as long as it takes for the coffee to get cold."



Novel Set My Heart to Five. "Jared works as a dentist in small-town Michigan. His life is totally normal, except for one thing. He is a bot engineered with human DNA to look and act like a real person. One day at a screening of a classic movie, Jared feels a strange sensation around his eyes. Everyone knows that bots can’t feel emotions, but as the theater lights come on, Jared is almost certain he’s crying. Confused, he decides to watch more old movies to figure out what’s happening. The process leads to an emotional awakening that upends his existence. Jared, it turns out, can feel." Releases September 1.



New novel The Midnight Library. "Between life and death there is a library, and within that library, the shelves go on forever. Every book provides a chance to try another life you could have lived. To see how things would be if you had made other choices... Would you have done anything different, if you had the chance to undo your regrets?" Releases in late September.




New picture book I Wish. "Bestelling Dutch children's author Toon Tellegen matches 33 imaginative prose-poems prompted by the statement "I wish" with luminous, old-fashioned portraits by Ingrid Godon in this beautiful, unique volume perfect for thoughtful young readers."



New picture book Old Rock (is not boring). "Old Rock has been sitting in the same spot in the pine forest for as long as anyone can remember. Spotted Beetle, Tall Pine, and Hummingbird think just sitting there must be boring, but they are in for a wonderful surprise."




New picture book Things That Go Away. "There are many things that go away: leaves fall, tears dry, music lasts only for a few moments, and bubbles pop, vanishing without a trace. Everything in life passes, moves on, or transforms—except one thing that never fades."




I plan to continue drawing this summer, and I hope to do a little more watercolor. Hello, Watercolor looks fun. It releases in June.





I am always about baking. The Illustrated Step-by-Step Baking should be great.


Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.

19 comments:

  1. Nice picks! All totally new to me ones!


    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That "baking" book and the children's books look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need that baking book. And Paris always a good idea.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm adding Leonard, Before the Coffee, and Midnight Library to my TBR RIGHT NOW!! Wow! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that baking book looks amazing

    My TTT .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what wonderful books to look forward to! Where do you hear about them in advance like you do? I think they all would make for good reading. Rae

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baking cookbooks give me Winter vibes because I refuse to run my oven in the Summer. It's too hot. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see what you bake from that new cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice list. All new to me. Here is my TTT.
    https://dmhoisington.wordpress.com/2020/06/02/top-ten-tuesday-4/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’ve heard great things about Before The Coffee Gets Cold. I might pick that one up too. I hope you love all these!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the sound of Paris Is Always A Good Idea - of course!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The serious face on the cover of I Wish by Toon Tellegen and Ingrid Godon is eye-catching. I'd like to read it sometime!

    Here's my TTT list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Of course Paris is a good idea (at anytime). Your selection is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice list. I need some summer vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a lemon flavor fan so that cookbook is really appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very much would love to read Matt Haig's new book. Didn't know one was coming out, so I'll have to look this up!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.