Thursday, October 14, 2021

Shall We Spin to See What We Shall Read Next? The Next Classics Club Spin


The Classics Club has issued the announcement of the 28th Classics Spin.

What is the spin?

It’s easy. At your blog, before next Sunday 17th October, 2021, create a post that lists twenty books of your choice that remain “to be read” on your Classics Club list.

This is your Spin List.

You have to read one of these twenty books by the end of the spin period.

Try to challenge yourself. For example, you could list five Classics Club books you have been putting off, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favourite author, re-reads, ancients, non-fiction, books in translation — whatever you choose.)

On Sunday 17th, October, we’ll post a number from 1 through 20. The challenge is to read whatever book falls under that number on your Spin List by the 12th December, 2021That’s an eight week reading window for this spin. You may like to stack your list with books that you know are do-able for you within that time frame.

We’ll check in here on Sunday the 12th December, 2021 to see who made it the whole way and finished their spin book!

I picked the ten books I most wanted to read and added them each to the list twice. 

So here is my list.

1. Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett. Novel. 1896. 88 pages.

2. The Art of Eating by M.F.K. Fisher. Cooking. 1954. 784 pages.

3. A Pony for Jean by Joanna Cannan. Children's. 1937. 156 pages. 

4. Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett. Novel. 1896. 88 pages.

5. The Thurber Carnival by James Thurber. Humor. 1945. 448 pages.

6. Cue for Treason by Geoffrey Trease. Children's Classic. 1940. 305 pages.

7. Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White. Children's. 1946. 260 pages.

8. A Pony for Jean by Joanna Cannan. Children's. 1937. 156 pages. 

9. Dubliners by James Joyce. Short Stories. 1914. 152 pages.

10. Oranges by John McPhee. Nonfiction. 1967. 160 pages.

11. The Thurber Carnival by James Thurber. Humor. 1945. 448 pages.

12. The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino. Novel. 1957. 320 pages.

13. Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White. Children's. 1946. 260 pages.

14. The Art of Eating by M.F.K. Fisher. Cooking. 1954. 784 pages.

15. Cue for Treason by Geoffrey Trease. Children's Classic. 1940. 305 pages.

16. The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino. Novel. 1957. 320 pages.

17. Dubliners by James Joyce. Short Stories. 1914. 152 pages.

18. Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford. Novel. 1949. 284 pages.

19. The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino. Novel. 1957. 320 pages.

20. Oranges by John McPhee. Nonfiction. 1967. 160 pages.

Have you read any of these? Which would you most want to read? 

19 comments:

  1. Love in a Cold Climate! Thurber Carnival! I hope you get either of those. Here is my list: https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com/2021/10/14/classics-club-spin-28-list/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are two that I am especially hoping to read.

      Delete
    2. LOVED Thurber Carnival. Read it the first time at age 13. Have re-read it several more times. We had a copy at home.

      Delete
  2. As usual, I have read none of the books on a classics list. I feel shame, but never do anything about it. So, I guess that shame (or guilt) must not be as strong as I think it is. :-) Have fun with the spin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very curious about MFK Fisher and you in particular would have something fun to say about that. So, even though I love, love, love ;-) The Baron in the Trees, I hope you get the MFK Fisher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Country of the Pointed Firs recently and thought it was beautifully written. Enjoy your spin reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really, really love Country of the Pointed Firs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wha ha ha! That's clever Debbie! I was just thinking about The Classics Club this morning and realised that I haven't included it on the new blog. Yet! Perfect opportunity to rectify that.

    Have a good weekend!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the only one I've read from your interesting list is Dubliners. I've been trying to read more classics this year but I keep getting distracted by current publications. Ah, the problems of the constant reader!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any of these but good luck with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, some great ones here and ones that would make me pause. Country of the Pointed Firs would be my first choice. Calvino is definitely challenging but I know those who think he's fun. In any case, best of luck with the spin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read the Mitford. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm doing my own take on this and just drew Don Quixote .
    Tried hit twice before. Maybe this time will "take."

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.