Saturday, October 9, 2021

1,000+ Pages of Reading This Week

 



My husband and I will be leaving for a hiking trip to Arkansas on Friday. My sister and her husband will be going with us. Doesn't a hiking trip sound great?







What I Read Last Week

I made these books big for a reason: These books ARE big. The Book of Form and Emptiness is 560 pages, and Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee is 487 pages. That's a combined total of more than 1,000 pages of reading last week. 

What did I think of them? Click on the book title to read my complete review.



What I Am Reading Now

I downloaded a bunch of books from Overdrive at my library last week. I'm taking these along for our trip to Arkansas. We'll see what I decide to read, but it's nice to have lots of choices.

Renewal: How Nature Reawakens Our Creativity, Compassion, and Joy 
by Andrés R. Edwards
The Hummingbird's Gift: Wonder, Beauty, and Renewal on Wings by Sy Montgomery
How to Draw Anything Anytime: A Beginner's Guide to Cute and Easy Doodles
Bread for the Journey: A Daybook of Wisdom and Faith by Henri Nouwen
Art Before Breakfast by Danny Gregory
The Book of Delights: Essays by Ross Gay
Hummingbird Salamander: A Novel by Jeff Vandermeer
Extraordinary Insects: Weird. Wonderful. Indispensible. The Ones Who Run Our World.
by Anne Sverdrup-Thygeson
On Trails: An Exploration by Robert Moor
Map: Collected and Last Poems by Wislawa Szymborska


Which one should I read first?
Any recommendations?






Made with Padlet


I need your help! Public nominations for the Cybils end on October 15. There are still lots of wonderful books that have not yet been nominated. The Cybils social media director has made some great #Cybils2021 Idea Boards. Please take a look around the boards and nominate books here!




A petition by 400 parents in nearby Katy, Texas caused books written by Newbery-award winning author Jerry Craft to be pulled from the shelves of the schools' libraries and his upcoming speaking event to be postponed. Parents claim that his works promote critical race theory. New Kid, his first graphic novel for kids, is the story of a boy of color who is sent by his parents out of his neighborhood to a school in the affluent parent of town where there are few children of color. To find out more about this story, read newspaper articles here and here. For more about critical race theory, take a look at this NY Times article here.

Have any of these parents even read Craft's books? Have any of them met Craft or heard him speak? Have these parents looked into what critical race theory is? I have read his books and I have met him and heard him speak, and he and his books are the best of the best. I can't tell you how this saddens me. 








I've been eagerly anticipating turning 65 so that I can take a college class or two for free each semester Until then, I discovered the next-best thing: OLLI. OLLI is the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at UTMB in Galveston, and it's designed for adults 55 and older. This semester OLLI offers an eight-week class on the poetry of Adrienne Rich, conducted through Zoom, and taught by a retired UH professor, Dr. John Gorman. Absolutely mesmerizing. 







Good Thing #1
I got my flu shot.

Good Thing #2
The temperatures dropped into the 60s at night this week.

Good Thing #3
We are headed off for a week of hiking and forest bathing in Arkansas!




I'm happy you joined us here at the Sunday Salon. Sunday Salon is a place to link up and to share what we have been doing during the week. It's a great way to visit other blogs and join in the conversations going on there. 

Some of the things we often talk about at the Sunday Salon:

  • What was your week like?
  • Read any good books? Tell us about them.
  • What other bookish things did you do? 
  • What else is going on in your life?

Other places where you may like to link up over the weekend are below. Click on the picture to visit the site.

        

My linkup for Sunday Salon is below. 

58 comments:

  1. A few years ago in October we took our vacation in northwestern Arkansas. The colors were absolutely glorious and the fall weather was just right. It was a wonderful trip. I hope yours is, too.

    The right wing's demonizing of critical race theory (which they obviously don't understand) and ascribing it to everything that mentions the effects of racism is certainly one of the stupider things happening at the moment. I'm sad to hear that Katy has been infected with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I have dug deeper into this story, I've learned that our state, Dorothy, has passed a law that aims to ban the teaching of critical race theory in the state and prescribes how Texas teachers can talk about current events and America’s history of racism in the classroom.

      Delete
  2. A hiking trip sounds really nice, I hope the weather will be fine (the picture is great :) It's appalling how people criticize things rapidly in this digital age without even trying to find out more about what/who is being criticized... Enjoy your trip, have fun !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people say and do things online they would never say or do in person. Not readers though, thank goodness.

      Delete
  3. amazing reading! I would be very curious about the hummingbird book. Actually, if you are going to Arkansas - I know the northern part, which is fabulous for hiking, I hope you can go to The Cliff House in Jasper: https://cliffhouseinnar.com/
    They have rooms there as well, and the restaurant windows has this awesome view over the "little canyon". The restaurant balcony is very long and all along you have a lot of hummingbird feeders. so you can walk to the balcony and have a lot of hummingbirds zoom around your ears!
    You can ask at the desk for their local cabins. awesome place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watched a David Attenborough special this weekend about hummingbirds that was excellent.

      We will be staying in Jasper, so I will definitely look for The Cliff House! Thanks, Emma.

      Delete
  4. An interesting selection of new books from the library! I'm so sorry to hear about Katy's decision to ban Craft's books. I once taught a student whose parent's wouldn't allow him to read The Scarlet Letter--never understood that one. Nor do I understand why anyone would protest learning about another race, culture, or religion. Mighty frail beliefs in that case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful time on your hiking trip! It sounds fun and relaxing.

    Jerry Craft's books are so incredible, those parents cannot possibly have read them. Banning books is such a show of ignorance and fear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel certain the parents would feel differently if they read the books. It might actually help the parents to read more widely.

      Delete
  6. Hiking and forest bathing, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your trip sounds like so much fun! My brother lives in Arkansas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great trip! We will also be traveling next week.

    I also read Ozeki's new book, so I linked my review for the Sunday Salon.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you enjoy your hiking trip! I just don't understand some people. I have been wanting to read New Kid and think my daughter would enjoy it too. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me want to take copies of New Kid to all the people who protested and read it with them.

      Delete
  10. Ahhh so jealous. Hiking is my life and I'm right here IN Arkansas but can't leave the 94-yo home alone in order to go out adventuring. That picture in your Good Thing #3 is Hawksbill Crag!! I hope I can hike to it one fine day. Can't wait to hear all about your trip in beautiful Arkansas! And I sure hope the storms that are coming don't ruin your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing good work. I hope you get a chance to hike soon, Jinjer.

      Delete
  11. I started Bury My Heart one time but I wasn't reading as much nonfiction then and had to return it to the library before I finished. I need to check it back out.

    Ugh. All this anti-critical race theory stuff is maddening. Do I love our country? Yes. Have we done some really awful things that should be taught in schools? Also yes. We can't grow and learn if we don't even acknowledge our mistakes, both past and present. We can't learn empathy and spread awareness if we never read books written by authors from many backgrounds.

    I've only driven through a bit of Arkansas on our way from NC to TX. My best friend from high school spent her honeymoon in the Ozarks and loved it though. I hope you have a fantastic time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jen, that this anti-critical race theory stuff is maddening. Lies seem to spread as easily as truth. Maybe it even spreads faster.

      Delete
  12. I hope you have a great trip! Very smart to stock up on Overdrive books. Enjoy! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My library allows me to check out thirty Overdrive books at once.

      Delete
  13. I wish we had something like OLLI here. Maybe in a hundred years from now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I barely got any reading done this week so am very envious of your 1000+ pages! Enjoy the hiking trip and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's so cool about being able to take classes, I've never heard of it before, wonder if it's a thing here too. Hope you enjoy the poetry course.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Overdrive! You just reminded me that at the start of the pandemic I took a bunch of courses online. I should do that again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 65... Good grief Debbie! I'm sure you still have to wait a very very long time for that. You can't be day older than 50 (yes I know it's just around the corner, but your "voice" is so lovely and young).

    Hiking trip! Yea!!! I wish I could send Hercules to you. He would love coming with you. That is our oldest lab and I wonder how many years he still has left. He's 12 now.

    I will take a look at your Cybil awards board for you. I need to get my life organized in such a way that I can spend more time going through the picture books at school as well.

    Have a safe journey!

    Oh yes, been meaning to ask - I had my weeks mixed up with WWW and posted a WWW this past Wednesday. Do you want to do a WWW this Wednesday, or only the week after? I just need to get my ducks in a row.

    Have a good week Debbie!!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I can't believe it...I certainly don't feel any older than eleven most of the time.

      Delete
  18. I get so frustrated when people protest anything that takes them out of their very limited comfort zones!

    I am getting my flu shot tomorrow, hopefully. It was scheduled for Wednesday this past week, but then cancelled. Sigh.

    Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have a great week of hiking! Take lots of pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Its good you got the flu shot. Even I'm making plans to get the booster. Talks of hiking remind me of my sister's hiking trip to Duluth last weekend. Hope it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, those are two huge books for one week! I've enjoyed a couple of Ozeki's earlier novels and plan to read this one eventually. I started Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee a few years ago and got sidetracked... definitely need to get back to it. I got my flu shot last week, too. No reaction at all other than a sore arm. Hope you are having a wonderful hiking trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I read a few chunksters this past week too.
    Have a fabulous trip, most likely I’ll just be at home I the aircon ;)

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooo a hiking trip sounds so fun! And what a great time of year to go. :) Have a great time!

    And ugh. What is wrong with this world?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your hiking trip sounds like fun. I hope the weather cooperates for you. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's good to have a lot of selections to choose from! Hope you enjoy the ones you read and your time in Arkansas.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You had a great week of reading! I'm loving both of my current books, but we're traveling, so I have very little time to curl up with my books. I've not read either, but I've been meaning to read Ruth Ozeki for quite some time. I think I have her previous novel on audio in my queue.

    Your trip sounds like a great time to me! I'll look forward to seeing your photos once you return.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Enjoy that hike, hope its great. Oh sad to hear about that author getting all the stick. Pity people as you say don't read it first and think about it. At least you are are championing him.

    ReplyDelete
  28. A hiking trip sounds wonderful and it's the perfect time of year. I've only been to the far Eastern part of Arkansas which isn't the prettiest but the rest of the state looks beautiful. I need to get my flu shot! I wish I could make an appointment for it like I did with my Covid vaccine as I have a hard time making myself go get a shot without having to meet an obligation. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ah Deb there so much wonderful stuff here. So glad you are going on a trip to Arkansas. I've never been there so looking forward to your pictures. The books you are taking with you sound like they'll be the perfect companions for time in nature. Now regarding the New Kid book, that's just awful. I bet no one of those people who want to pull the book out of the library have even read the book. I read The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas last week and surprise it was also pulled by the Katy school board for the use of language. Like any teen reading that book hasn't heard that language before.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I hope you have a glorious time! And thanks for the reminder on my flu shot. I need to do that and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Have a wonderful trip. Take lots of pictures.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.