Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Best Books I Read In 2021

My Favorite Happiness Books of 2021
Happiness Found in Translation: A Glossary of Joy from Around the World
Yes, And...Daily Meditations by Richard Rohr
Happy Habits
The Atlas of Happiness: The Global Secrets of How to Be Happy
How to Be Happy (Or At Least Less Sad)

Best Kid Book Reads of 2021
Knight's Fee by Rosemary Sutliff
Amber & Clay by Laura Amy Schlitz
When You Trap a Tiger
Merci Suarez Can't Dance by Meg Medina
Alone by Megan E. Freeman
The Little White Horse

Best Travel Books of 2021
Bicycling with Butterflies
The Salt Path by Raynor Winn
Kermit Lynch's Adventures on the Wine Route
The Listening Road by Neil Tomba

Best Healing Books of 2021
The Listening Road by Neil Tomba
Sea Lions in the Parking Lot
Fred Rogers: The Last Interview
The World's Poorest President Speaks Out
The Comfort Book by Matt Haig
If God is Love, Don't Be a Jerk

Best Books-About-Books
Ex Libris: 1001 Books to Read and Reread
Book Girl by Sarah Clarkson
A Swim in a Pond in the Rain by George Saunders

Best Nature Books of 2021
Extraordinary Insects
Bringing Nature Home
The Life Cycles of Butterflies
Gathering Moss
World of Wonders

Best Foodie Books of 2021
Serve It Forth by M.F.K. Fisher
An Alphabet for Gourmets by M.F.K. Fisher
Taste: My Life Through Food by Stanley Tucci
Delicious: Poems Celebrating Street Food Around the World
The Book on Pie
Pie Academy

Best Classics of 2021
The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino
A Girl of the Limberlost
David Copperfield
Main Street
Parnassus on Wheels
Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson
Elizabeth and the German Garden
The Pursuit of Love
The Lion by Joseph Kessel

Best Fiction of 2021
The Book of Form and Emptiness by Ruth Ozeki
Infinite Country by Patricia Engel
Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi
The Portable Veblen
The Lincoln Highway
Miss Benson's Beetle
Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro
Bewilderment by Richard Powers

My Favorite Nonfiction Reads of 2021


And, finally, 
My Favorite Reads of 2021...
Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro
The Book on Pie
An Alphabet for Gourmets by M.F.K. Fisher
A Swim in a Pond in the Rain by George Saunders
The Listening Road by Neil Tomba
Merci Suarez Can't Dance
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee
The Guns of August
Happiness Found in Translation
David Copperfield
Yes, And...Daily Meditations
Amber & Clay 




Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.   

MON | Dec. 27 – #AMonthofFaves Best Books Read in 2021. What are your favorite “squee” worthy reads from this year?! https://www.girlxoxo.com/

31 comments:

  1. You are lucky to have read so many good books. I must say I liked most of what I read this year, but could possibly choose 10 that were my very favourites. Let's see, I will write a post about it.
    I do see some favourites of mine, either read or to be read. A Swim in a Pond in the Rain by George Saunders, but I would probably go for all three books you mentioned. Love to read about reading books. The Lincoln Highway, of course. The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino sounds interesting. The Pursuit of Love has been on my radar for a while. Maybe this year? Elizabeth and Her German Garden is wonderful. I want to read more by her, and have downloaded two more books. The Disappearing Spoon is on my shelves. I love Barbara Tuchman, but have not read this one. After reading Christopher Clark's The Sleepwalkers I think I have read what is to read on WWI. However, there are always different angles to things.
    Most of them probably by recommendation from you. I hope you will have a successful reading year 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just amazing, Deb ... and so many Cybils Awards books from past and present! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! So many books! These are all new to me ones but glad 2021 had so many great reads for you!


    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you've categorised these so thoroughly! And that you read so many great books this year--congratulations, and I hope you find the same in 2022!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautifully you've done this post - I love all the images. And some great books there. I'll be publishing my best-of on 1 Jan, by which time everyone will be heartily sick of such things, I'm sure, but it's what I do, and I'm about to pick up two really good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing so many wonderful books!

    Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
    https://readbakecreate.com/the-10-best-books-i-read-in-2021/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a fantastic reading year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We share a lot of fiction favorites, I loved Klara, The Portable Veblen, and Transcendent Kingdom. Also loved The Salt Path and want to read more nature/journey nonfiction. Thanks for sharing these recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how you picked categories! It looks like you had a fantastic reading year. I'm hoping to read more nonfiction next year, so I'll have to look up your favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm looking forward to A Swim in a Pond in the Rain because I do admire the Russian classics a lot. But really, everything on your list is wonderful and I'm bookmarking the page. Esp. for the Nature reads, which turned out to be a new comfort read genre for me in 2021.
    ~Lex (lexlingua.co)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow!! There are so many amazing books on here that I've read and want to read. I currently have Tucci's book at the library for pickup! I also can't wait to read When to Trap a Tiger! Have a wonderful 2022!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! It looks like you read some amazing books this year! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am bookmarking this page. There is too much here to mine all in one minute. I am especially interested in your fiction favorites, many of which are on my TBR already, but I will add the others that aren't right now. My 2021 Favorites

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alone didn't work for me... But I was a big fan of Amber & Clay!

    Kate @ bitchbookshelf.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a great looking list of books! I'm looking forward to the George Saunders myself.

    Hope you're having a great holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great lists! I like that you broke them down by category then did an overall winners group. My favorite cover of your books is the one with the huge beetle on it. There is just something about the iridescence and the simplicity of it. And I am glad to see Miss Benson's Beetle on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bringing Nature Home and the moss book are both two I need to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a heck of a lot of bests! Did you have any worsts or mediocres??? Just kidding - I know you did.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like how you broke your lists down. I am planning to include a section for favorite kids books as well. https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2021/12/top-ten-tuesday-cover-love.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fantastic collection of wonderful books. I'm going to check out The Listening Road. Happy New Year and may you enjoy more fabulous reading discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great list, Deb! You always read such a wide variety of books. I look forward to reading Miss Benson's Beetle. I never get to The Little White Horse, but my daughter did and really liked it. I am curious about Book Girl and may have to add it to my TBR pile soon. I hope you have a wonderful 2022 in books, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how you have your list broken down. I loved Transcendent Kingdom too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Okay I NEED "Sea Lions in the Parking Lot." And all the books about books. Love how you structed this post; the graphics are so creative and cute.

    I really enjoyed The Lion when I read it a few...wait, maybe 15...years ago; great pick! And A Girl of the Limberlost was one of my "top 100 books ever" in high school (imagine writing such a list now! maybe if I upped it to five hundred...or top hundred authors...)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow. You’ve done some reading. Bookmarking this now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lot more than I read this year, I have managed 58 which is more than last year. I read a mixture of SiFi and my wife's romance books though I did read one on the Thames Path and another which was my favourite "How to build a Formula one car" by Adrian Newey which most of it I could understand and new one of the people mentioned in the book

    ReplyDelete
  26. You had such a great year of reading, Deb! I'm busy taking notes of your recommendations and trying to decide what I'll choose for my first book of 2022. I'm leaning toward Taste (Stanley Tucci) since I just received it for my birthday and am still in the mood for nonfiction. My book group chose The Lincoln Highway and Klara and the Sun for our 2022 calendar, so I'm excited about those, too. Thanks for your recommendations. I love the way you displayed each category!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What wonderful lists. I'll bet this post took some serious time, Debbie. I decided not to list the best of things I had read, just to update challenges, then look toward 2022. I plan to review Cloud Cuckoo Land, my favorite book of 2021 later tonight. After that, 2021 is a thing of the past!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nice list. I too liked Klara and the Sun a lot .... and I'm sure it will wind up on my fav fiction list. I want to read Bewilderment soon and The Lincoln Highway. Happy reading in 2022!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.