Saturday, February 25, 2023

The Sunday Salon: A Week in Which I Finish (But Continue to Think About) Pilgrim at Tinker Creek and Bittersweet

 











It sounds ridiculous, but I read Pilgrim at Tinker Creek four times this year. I listened to it as an audiobook. Then I read it as an ebook. I listened to it again. And then I read it again. 

I saved so many quotes from Pilgrim at Tinker Creek that I think I'm going to have to do a post to share them all. For now, let me just share one:

"I am a frayed and nibbled survivor in a fallen world, and I am getting along. I am aging and eaten and have done my share of eating too. I am not washed and beautiful, in control of a shining world in which everything fits, but instead am wandering awed about on a splintered wreck I’ve come to care for, whose gnawed trees breathe a delicate air, whose bloodied and scarred creatures are my dearest companions, and whose beauty beats and shines not in its imperfections but overwhelmingly in spite of them, under the wind-rent clouds, upstream and down."


Bittersweet was excellent, too. I believe Bittersweet is the best book I've ever read that deals with handling loss. I am still thinking about the story author Susan Cain shares about Kafka and the girl who lost her doll. You can read about Kafka and the doll here.

Daily Rituals tells about the daily habits of more than 150 novelists, poets, playwrights, painters, philosophers, scientists, and mathematicians. I found it fascinating.

And Remarkably Bright Creatures is a novel about loss and finding a way of dealing with loss. 



Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard (Nature)
Bittersweet: How Sorrow and Longing Make Us Whole by Susan Cain (Happiness)




Daily Rituals: How Artists Work by Mason Currey (Writing)
Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt (Novel)



The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (Classic)
The Little Book of Lent: Daily Reflections from the World's Best Spiritual Writers (Spirituality)
The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevado (YA Fiction)
A Thirsty Land: The Fight for Water in Texas by Seamus McGraw (Naturalist Book Club)
How Not to Drown in a Glass of Water by Angie Cruz (Fiction)
The Country Girls by Edna O'Brien (Classic)
A Country Year by Sue Hubbell (Nature Nonfiction)
George Eliot: The Last Victorian by Kathryn Hughes (Biography)








Last week I posted here at Readerbuzz:








Your Place or Mine?
A main character named Deb(bie) who loves to read?
A character who wants to be an author and one who wants to be an editor?
People who actually discuss what they are reading in the movie?
Quite lovely, I thought, for us readers.







Good Thing #1
Summer haircut!


Good Thing #2
I counted thirty bird species 
during the Great Backyard Bird Count 
in one day last weekend.


Good Thing #3
Planted the garden:
Tomatoes, green peppers,
cucumbers, kale, spinach,
rosemary, basil, and thyme.






I'm happy you joined us here at the Sunday Salon. Sunday Salon is a place to link up and to share what we have been doing during the week. It's a great way to visit other blogs and join in the conversations going on there. 


Some of the things we often talk about at the Sunday Salon:

  • What was your week like?
  • Read any good books? Tell us about them.
  • What other bookish things did you do? 
  • What else is going on in your life?

Other places where you may like to link up over the weekend are below. Click on the picture to visit the site.

        

My linkup for Sunday Salon is below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.