Tuesday, February 14, 2023

❤️ ❤️ ❤️ We Love Our Pets: The Best Books about Our Favorite Animal Buddies ❤️ ❤️ ❤️


Pet-friends might be winning out over human-friends these days.

The photo is of me with my bird, Shegecko. Shegecko is a bird who came to live in my school library after I helped a parent who didn't know what to do when her cockatiel laid eggs. Shegecko lived in the library for all the years I was a librarian, and he made many friends. Shegecko talks, of course. He would astound people when he would sometimes shout out, "Read!" 

He lives with us here at home now that I'm retired. He misses the library a bit, I think. 

Here are some of the best nonfiction books I've read about animal companions. Dogs...cats...horses, yes, but don't miss the stories, too, about the person who befriended an octopus and the one who found a companion in a snail. And, if you are looking for variety, check out How to Be a Good Creature, in which Sy Montgomery shares the stories of all the many animals who have featured large in her life.





Marley and Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron

My Family and Other Animals by Lawrence Durrell

Kitty-Corners: How Frannie and Five Other Incorrigible Cats Seized Control of Our House and Made It Their Home by Bob Tarte

Buddy: How a Rooster Made Me a Man by Brian McGrory

H is for Hawk by Helen McDonald

How to Be a Good Creature: A Memoir in Thirteen Animals by Sy Montgomery

The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery

Funny Farm: My Unexpected Life with 600 Rescue Animals by Laurie Zaleski

The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elisabeth Tova Bailey


The link takes you to a review, if you want to know a little more.


Other lists of books with a love theme of one sort or another:

Eleven Favorite Love Stories in Books



Are you a person who loves to read about animals like me?

Have you read any of these?

Do you have any animal stories to add?



Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.