Saturday, February 4, 2023

Sunday Salon: Real Mail. What's Feeding Me. And Trying to Write.

 





This year I set a goal of finishing (in some form or fashion) the memoir about the summer I spent working in Yellowstone Park in 1975. I've got a rough draft that I cobbled together during NaNoWriMo one year that I'm working from, and I'm taking a writing class to keep me motivated. 

I'm rereading some books on writing---Bird by Bird and Writing Down the Bones and Old Friend from Far Away---and I'm reading some memoirs---Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life, Pilgrim on Tinker Creek, A Sand County Almanac---with my goal in mind.

I'm not taking this seriously. If I finish it, and it's awful...who cares? I think it will be fun just to write a whole book!










Adam Bede by George Eliot (Chapter-a-Day)
Mistress Masham's Repose by T. H. White (1001 Children's Books)
This Time Tomorrow by Emma Straub (Recent Fiction)





Old Friend from Far Away: The Practice of Writing Memoir by Natalie Goldberg (Writing)
A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold (Nature)
Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard (Nature)
Rhododendron Pie by Margery Sharp (Fiction)
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (Classic)








Last week I posted here at Readerbuzz:


The Sunday Salon: Born a Crime


It's a New Year, So Shall We Try for Happy This Time?


Authors Yiyun Li and Matthew Salesses at Inprint Margarett Root Brown Reading Series


Rhododendron Pie by Margery Sharp: Friday Book Friends













I now have read at least one book for every challenge.









Friendly February Calendar from Action for Happiness







In the hopes that I can share what is inspiring me with others, I've added this section to my weekly Sunday Salon...



Joyce Boatright's post about revisiting and revising our New Year's Goals seems timely: Taking a Mulligan.



The Artist Who Couldn't Draw by Danny Gregory. For all of those who think they can't draw.












Good Thing #1

Mail. Real mail.
and I have been exchanging letters and postcards.
Care recommended This Time Tomorrow,
a fun fiction book about time travel.




Good Thing #2

Pine Warbler.





Good Thing #3

Sometimes I think I'll never be able to find 
any more of the 1001 Children's Books,
and then I stop by a wonderful bookstore in Galveston
and I find The Gathering.
For $1.98.




I'm happy you joined us here at the Sunday Salon. Sunday Salon is a place to link up and to share what we have been doing during the week. It's a great way to visit other blogs and join in the conversations going on there. 


Some of the things we often talk about at the Sunday Salon:

  • What was your week like?
  • Read any good books? Tell us about them.
  • What other bookish things did you do? 
  • What else is going on in your life?

Other places where you may like to link up over the weekend are below. Click on the picture to visit the site.

        

My linkup for Sunday Salon is below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.