Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Authors in Cars Getting Coffee: The Bookish-est People I’d Like To Meet

I like Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. I should do something like that. But with authors instead of comedians. And who needs the fancy cars?

The bookish-est people I'd like to meet and drink coffee with are:

(1) authors who write picture books; 

(2) authors who both write and illustrate their books; 

(3) authors who have suffered terrible things but have found a way to be (mostly) cheerful;

(4) authors who (seem to) be child-like;

(5) authors who are wise but not too serious or mean.


Why? I don't know, but these people seem to have a magical sparkle, and maybe some of it will find its way to me, too.

Who are some of them? Why do I want to drink coffee with them? Why won't this ever happen?



Maira Kalman

Why do I want to drink coffee with Maira Kalman?

Maira Kalman writes and illustrates wonderful books for grownups that look at life in a tremulous but cautiously hopeful manner. 

Why won't this ever happen?

Kalman inhabits a big art world that I know nothing about. I don't know what we would talk about.


           

Melissa Sweet

Why do I want to drink coffee with Melissa Sweet?

Melissa Sweet writes and illustrates books for children, and she chooses subjects---E. B. White, William Carlos Williams, and more---for her books that I like, too

Why won't this ever happen?

I might be too chatty for a quiet person like Sweet.


 

Julie Falatko

Why do I want to drink coffee with Julie Falatko?

Julie Falatko writes funny books for children. She shares things about writing, too.

Why won't this ever happen?

I've been to 1,000,000 book events, and I've never seen Julie Falatko at any of these.



Dacher Keltner

Why do I want to drink coffee with Dacher Keltner?

He studies happiness. He's a scientist. Sadly, his brother died young. But he didn't let this ruin his life.

Why won't this ever happen?

I am very interested in happiness, but I know nothing about science.


.      
Me and Mo. Look at me. Frozen.                                                                          

Mo Willems

Why do I want to drink coffee with Mo Willems?

Mo has hidden depths.

Why won't this ever happen?

I've already met Mo four times, and I froze every time I met him. I think I've had my chance.



Kate DiCamillo

Why do I want to drink coffee with Kate DiCamillo?

Kate is thoughtful. But not too serious.

Why won't this ever happen?

I don't know. Maybe it will. She loves coffee.


 

Annie Dillard

Why do I want to drink coffee with Annie Dillard?

Annie Dillard is wise.

Why won't this ever happen?

Annie Dillard doesn't travel anymore.


      

Terry Pratchett

Why do I want to drink coffee with Terry Pratchett?

Where does all that madness come from?

Why won't this ever happen?

Terry Pratchett is dead.



Antoine Saint-Exupéry

Why do I want to drink coffee with Antoine Saint-Exupéry?

The Little Prince. And Antoine Saint-Exupéry is (was) French.

Why won't this ever happen?

Dead, too.



Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. Each Tuesday That Artsy Reader Girl assigns a topic and then post her top ten list that fits that topic. You’re more than welcome to join her and create your own top ten (or 2, 5, 20, etc.) list as well. Feel free to put a unique spin on the topic to make it work for you! Please link back to That Artsy Reader Girl in your own post so that others know where to find more information.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.