Saturday, March 18, 2023

The Sunday Salon: In Which I Go to the Country After Reading The Country Girls and A Country Year

 






It seems appropriate that I'm off in Big Sandy, Texas this weekend after reading The Country Girls and A Country Year. Big Sandy, in fact, is The Country, and the place we are staying does not have WiFi. (Isn't WiFi a standard feature? Perhaps not in the country.) 

So if you don't hear from me until after I return on Monday, don't despair. Hopefully, I will be able to return to civilization and visit you all then.





What I Read:


The Country Girls by Edna O'Brien 

Kate and Baba are friends. Baba is nice to Kate. Kate loves Baba. Baba is mean to Kate. Kate hates Baba. On and on. With lots of Baba being mean.

Kate's homelife is
 ...more



A Country Year by Sue Hubbell 

I felt compelled to read A Country Year right after I finished Pilgrim at Tinker Creek. I vaguely remembered thinking A Country Year reminded me of th ...more





What I'm Reading Now:

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (Classic)

The Little Book of Lent: Daily Reflections from the World's Best Spiritual Writers (Spirituality)

MacGregor Tells the World by Elizabeth McKenzie (Fiction)

A Most Remarkable Creature: The Hidden Life of the World's Smartest Birds of Prey by Jonathan Meiburg (Nonfiction)








Last week I posted here at Readerbuzz:




I spent a lot of time in nature this week, which also seems appropriate...


Good Thing #1
Our naturalist group learned about spiders this week, 
and we were treated to some 
spider bread and spider sandwiches for refreshments.



Good Thing #2
We did a beach cleanup, NestFest, to prepare the beach
before the birds and sea turtles begin to nest there.
I found this, which iNaturalist identified as 
a Black Drum bone.



Good Thing #3
We befriended a Western Ribbon Snake
during a bioblitz this week.




I'm happy you joined us here at the Sunday Salon. Sunday Salon is a place to link up and to share what we have been doing during the week. It's a great way to visit other blogs and join in the conversations going on there. 


Some of the things we often talk about at the Sunday Salon:

  • What was your week like?
  • Read any good books? Tell us about them.
  • What other bookish things did you do? 
  • What else is going on in your life?

Other places where you may like to link up over the weekend are below. Click on the picture to visit the site.

        

My linkup for Sunday Salon is below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.