Saturday, July 1, 2023

The Sunday Salon: Reading Big Books

 






It's a long Fourth of July holiday weekend here in the US. As my dad (a man who, at 96, has been retired more years than he worked) warned me before I retired, once you are retired, you do not get days off.  Still, who doesn't love seeing fireworks and getting a chance to think a little about some of the wonderful parts of this country, maybe contemplating ways we might make America better for all the people here? Happy Fourth!






I focused on my three Big Books of Summer last week. I finished two of the three---Demon Copperhead and The Count of Monte Cristo. I thought both of these were amazing reads. A lot of people tend to think that literary novels are tedious and slow. Neither Demon Copperhead and The Count of Monte Cristo is tedious and slow; I hesitate to use this word, but the truth is that both of these are page-turners. And The Covenant of Water (I'm about a hundred pages into this one) is looking like it will be a page-turner, too. 

I'm not an English major---I'm just a regular person who loves to read---and I've come to award-winning novels and classics reluctantly and late in life. But if you are like me and you hesitate to read books that feel a little intimidating, I urge you to try a classic, to try an award-winning novel. Maybe your experience will surprise you the way my experiences have surprised me.










Last week I posted here at Readerbuzz:







Happily, Emma of Words and Peace has decided to host Paris in July this year.  Thank you, Emma.

Emma is planning to collect links to posts each week and organize them by themes. 

I am looking forward to spending Paris in July. 

To find out more, take a look at Emma's post here.




















The focus of Action for Happiness in July is to build resilience. Get your own Jump Back Up July calendar here






Good Thing #1
Breakfast with my Breakfast Mama friends.


Good Thing #2
Grand-pup Jordan swims for the first time.

Good Thing #3
A new best-chocolate-chip-cookie recipe?




I'm happy you joined us here at the Sunday Salon. Sunday Salon is a place to link up and to share what we have been doing during the week. It's a great way to visit other blogs and join in the conversations going on there. 


Some of the things we often talk about at the Sunday Salon:

  • What was your week like?
  • Read any good books? Tell us about them.
  • What other bookish things did you do? 
  • What else is going on in your life?

Other places where you may like to link up over the weekend are below. Click on the picture to visit the site.

        

My linkup for Sunday Salon is below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.