Saturday, August 26, 2023

The Sunday Salon: Culture Week

 

Welcome! I'm happy you joined us here at the Sunday Salon. What is the Sunday Salon? The Sunday Salon is a place to link up and share what we have been doing during the week, plus it's a great way to visit other blogs and join in the conversations going on there. 








In the last seven days, I went to...
                            ...play at a theater...
                            ...a jazz concert...
                            ...an author reading...
                            ...and a museum exhibit.

Culture week for me. And, no, I haven't even left for Italy yet...







What I Read Last Week:

I Never Thought of It That Way by Mónica Guzmán (Communication)

Ottavia e i Gatti di Rome / Ottavia and the Cats of Rome by Claudia Cerulli (Reading in Italian)

Love & Saffron by Kim Fay (Cook the Books Bookclub)




What I'm Reading Now:

The Poetry Prescription: Tried-and-True Prescriptions for the Mind, Heart, and Soul by William Sieghart (Happiness; Poetry)

Shark Heart by Emily Habeck (Novel)








What I Posted Last Week Here at Readerbuzz:







It's time to apply to be a Cybils Awards judge, a judge for the Children's and Young Adult Book Lovers' Literary Awards. The application is here, and applications will be open until 9/8/2023. 










I'm on-track for the completion of my challenges by year-end.
The link to my challenges is here.


I've also completed my two summer challenges.

1. Mrs. Bridge by Evan Connell

2. The Last Mapmaker by Christina Soontornvat

3. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

4. Pictures from Italy by Charles Dickens

5. How the Light Gets in: Writing as a Spiritual Practice by Pat Schneider

6. Mrs. Plansky's Revenge by Spencer Quinn

7. Spirals in Time: The Secret Life and Curious Afterlife of Seashells by Helen Scales

8. The Italians by John Hooper

9. French Milk by Lucy Knisley

10. A Woman's Story by Annie Ernaux

11. Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter 

12. An Astronomer in Love by Antoine Laurain

13. Vango: Between Sky and Earth by Timothee Fombelle

14. Mother Nature is Not Trying to Kill You by Rob Nelson

15. Eating My Through Italy: Heading Off the Main Roads to Discover the Hidden Treasures of the Italian Table by Elizabeth Minchilli

16. Got Your Number by Mike Greenberg

17. Food Americana by David Page

18. My Italian Bulldozer by Alexander McCall Smith

19. The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith

20. The Covenant of Water by Abraham Verghese

20/20

Completed!




The Covenant of Water by Abraham Verghese (736 pages)

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (1276 pages)

Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver (560 pages)

Vango: Between Earth and Sky by Timothee Fombelle (432 pages)

A Prince Without a Kingdom by Timothee Fombelle (464 pages)

5/5 

Completed!



How are your 2023 challenges coming? 
Have you completed your summer challenges?




I began to list 3 Good Things every day during the pandemic. I found I greatly increased my happiness when I did this. Now I've established a regular routine of writing down my 3 Good Things. Here are 3 Good Things from last week:



Good Thing #1:
Two fellows from my hometown performed a jazz concert
in my hometown at a bookstore, Rae's Reads, here.



Good Thing #2:
I heard author James McBride read from his latest novel, 
The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store,
last week. 
He got a standing ovation 
after sharing his thoughts about writing and democracy and life
 with interviewer and journalist Melanie Lawson.
I can't wait to read this book from this wise man.



Good Thing #3:
On my morning walk, I saw a new mural in my town.






Weekend linkup spots are listed below. Click on the picture to visit the site.

        

I hope you will join the linkup for Sunday Salon below.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you will leave a comment so I know you have visited. If you stop by my blog, I will always stop by yours.

Note: Disqus commenting is only available on the web version of the blog. Please switch to the web version if you are using a mobile device.